Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramay1970 View Post
I remember paying $0.43 for a triple scoop cone at Thrifty's on 35th and Cactus back when you could leave Moon Valley's campus for lunch.
I paid 10 cents for a triple scoop (mid-late 50's) at the drug store next to Bashas supermarket (7th Ave & Osborn) I think it was Skaggs. One scoop cost a nickel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default I remember Wagon Wheel Kiddieland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
When it moved over to Oak Street, it was on the southeast corner of Oak and 44th Street. My mom used to take me there when I was very young, my best memories are a little ride than went in circles that looked like small rocket ships with little machine guns you could pretend to fire (very Buck Roger-ish) - after seeing the Japanese monster movie "Rodan" about a giant pterodactyl, (probably on "World Beyond" on KPHO) I enjoyed riding that ride and pretending I was in an aerial dogfight with Rodan (one of the fondest and most vivid memories of my youth), a merry-go-round and a small soda fountain. You could register at the soda fountain and on your birthday, you would get a small card in the mail redeemable for a free soda.

They later added a Superslide that you slid down on burlap sacks, but I don't know if that was part of the original Kiddieland or a separate business. One of the fondest and most vivid memories of my youth (Post Puberty Division) was watching a young woman go down that slide in a halter top when The Inevitable happened.

There was also a roller-skating rink next to the slide that was built years later, that was the site of a well-publicized gang shoot-out. Thus ends many of the fond memories of our childhoods.
I remember Wagon Wheel Kiddieland, my mom gave me a birthday party there in the early 60's. I still have the original invitation card. My name is Darren E. Collins

Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eam42 View Post
I paid 10 cents for a triple scoop (mid-late 50's) at the drug store next to Bashas supermarket (7th Ave & Osborn) I think it was Skaggs. One scoop cost a nickel.
I just noticed the other day that they were tearing down the original Skaggs building at 32nd Street and Indian School. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I just noticed the other day that they were tearing down the original Skaggs building at 32nd Street and Indian School. Sic transit gloria mundi.

That part was torn down some time ago. I'll be interested to see how that center looks when they are done with it.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That part was torn down some time ago. I'll be interested to see how that center looks when they are done with it.
That Bashas became the Food City that closed there right? (32nd St&Indian School)

Old 05-18-2016, 05:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That Bashas became the Food City that closed there right? (32nd St&Indian School)
Yes, that whole strip including the bowling alley except for the O'Reilly's and the Ace Hardware has been gutted. Rose Dress for Less and Tuesday Morning are among the new tenants.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:38 PM

164 posts, read 183,807 times
There was a Serrano's store next to the Basha's and a Yellow Front store beside that. I still see a Serrano's on Gilbert Rd. Is that the same sort of Business? I hope this remodel will help with the gentrification of the area. 32nd. St. becomes hopeless as you get near Thomas Rd. It is rampant with drugs and prostitution. Pedestrians like to cross 32nd. (Jaywalking) in the dark, and are hit by cars that can't see them in the dark.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
There was a Serrano's store next to the Basha's and a Yellow Front store beside that. I still see a Serrano's on Gilbert Rd. Is that the same sort of Business? I hope this remodel will help with the gentrification of the area. 32nd. St. becomes hopeless as you get near Thomas Rd. It is rampant with drugs and prostitution. Pedestrians like to cross 32nd. (Jaywalking) in the dark, and are hit by cars that can't see them in the dark.
My old neighborhood, ladies and gentlemen...

I spent a lot of time at that Skagg's and Bashas. My mom used the Viking Norge Laundromat and Dry Cleaner across the street (now a toxic waste fund cleanup site), so I would walk over and hang out at Skaggs and Bashas and Yellow Front. We sometimes bowled at the bowling alley at the western end as well.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
I loved getting used Army pants at Yellow Front.
I was born at St. Joseph's in 1961 and lived in Phx. until 1988.
My babysitter took me to Encanto Park during the time that it had been taken over by "hippies" with their tents and painted faces.
I saw a live Wallace and Ladmo show at the Christown theatre and won a Ladmo Bag.
It was a fun bike ride along the acres of sweet smelling citrus leading up to Thunderbird park.
I enjoyed the thrill of coasting all the way down Squaw Peak to Glendale Ave.
In high school it was all about cruising Central. Parties at North Mountain Park.
Parking on top of South Mountain.Boondocker parties with bands and bonfires in the desert north of Greenway and beyond. Drag racing out there too.
Floating down the flumes near Lake Pleasant.
Tubing all day down the river.
Concerts at Legend City.....

Old 05-20-2016, 12:07 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,695,586 times
I remember driving through Phoenix in the 1960s while going home on leave from the Army stationed at Fort Huachuca.
Lots of crops growing along the highway and truck stops that were older next to the road. It did not appear to be much.
I have to assume the availability of AC made Phoenix grow???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area