Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 05:48 PM

41 posts, read 95,106 times

Advertisements

Here's an old film that I've seen on here before but disappeared from YouTube shortly after.

Buster Keaton, The Home Owner. Matinee Classics - Classic Movies - The Home Owner (1961)

Also just watched an episode of Route 66 online that has a bunch of downtown Phoenix in it.

Shoulder the Sky My Lad. Route 66 S2E21 Shoulder the Sky My Lad Full Episode

Anybody recognize where the house and apartments may be/have been? Pretty sure the Conner Tool & Mfg. Co. building Tod and Buzz work at in the beginning is still standing on the S.E. corner of Lincoln St. and 9th Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Rare Kodachrome of Central Avenue about 1955.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-central-stewart-motors-50s-looking-north

Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Rare Kodachrome of Central Avenue about 1955.

Attachment 129265
Beautiful. Love the sand colored brick building with the white columns on the right. Pity it's gone, it looks like similar vintage to Monroe and Grace Court and Kenilworth School buildings, all of which are still here.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:22 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Beautiful. Love the sand colored brick building with the white columns on the right. Pity it's gone, it looks like similar vintage to Monroe and Grace Court and Kenilworth School buildings, all of which are still here.
That was the First Church of Christ. One block north you can barely see the column of the Central Methodist Church. North, on Garfield, is the Lincoln-Mercury dealer and on the left the Studebaker dealer that became Circles Records.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Yep, Stewart Motors. Peeked through the windows one day and a pie shaped floor panel was out, appeared the workings to the turntable are still intact under the floor below the spire. The red Ford convertible really stands out among all the other conservatively toned cars.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I recognized the Studebaker/Circles building. I recall seeing the Church of Christ building back in the day, but it has been gone so long I'd forgotten about it until the lovely picture brought it back.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,173 times
When I was a little girl probably, 4 or 5, I went there, but I thought it was like a night club. I remember having a "Shirley Temple" and a dance floor where my parents danced. They must have been opened to the public because I knew my parents weren't members. I remember them talking about it, but I never knew where it was or how to spell it! Thanks for the great information.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca castro View Post
I am a woman who was in the Good Shepherd School for Wayward Girls I was there till 1970 I really have a need to talk to somebody about this School please help me alot of need questions to be answererd
I was there in the late 60s maybe I can answer your questions. Contact me via email if you like. mhall 1953 @ gmail . com (remove the spaces).

Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I went to school with the daughter of one of the owners. A combination of rising real estate prices and the desire of the families for their children to have better lives meant gradually fewer and fewer flower farms.

They were glorious, though. In the days before the I-10 passing through Phoenix, we had to drive along Baseline to get to Buckeye and then down to Gila Bend when we made our annual summer hadj to San Diego. My folks left early in the morning to avoid the heat, and I always associate the intoxicating smell of all those blossoms entering the car as the sun rose and we drove past...
I went to school with the Watanabe's who owned Watanabe flower garden...were you in Debbie's class by any chance?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Just figured out where the models were in The Home Owner (post #7701), 57th Drive off of Indian School. Many of the homes have been altered somewhat but still standing. At the very beginning you see Buster being led down a path towards the rear of the "Shannon" with its angled patio cover, then the Information Center, later replaced with more homes. The path they take is a curve to the Shannon, then diagonal across the street to the Lexington and next door to the Dover where he traps the girl and moves in. Also, falls in the pool, takes a nap and mows the lawn here.

At the end you pan to the right just from the pony wall of the home next door, then a shot of the same house from the front. Last, the white grey and brown house is what I believe is the original version of the one now L shaped, directly behind the Shannon. Sadly the very stylish curved flat roof house along with first two on the east side of the street aren't seen.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screenshot-7-.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area