Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times

Advertisements

Who remembers the Betty Crocker Tree House restaurant in Scottdale in the early 70's? They had a jungle atmosphere with mechanical birds chirping away, they wanted real birds but the city would not approve that. I remember a big controversy over the jello animals for kids, the reporter for the Republic thought it was horrible that kids would first cut off the feet and then the head of their rabbit or cat jello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM

107 posts, read 422,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Who remembers the Betty Crocker Tree House restaurant in Scottdale in the early 70's? They had a jungle atmosphere with mechanical birds chirping away, they wanted real birds but the city would not approve that. I remember a big controversy over the jello animals for kids, the reporter for the Republic thought it was horrible that kids would first cut off the feet and then the head of their rabbit or cat jello.
Yep, I remember the Betty Crocker restaurant. My family ate dinner there a couple times when I was a teenager. Wasn't it on the E. side of Scottsdale Rd, maybe just south of Osborn? It didn't seem to stay in business very long, and I don't know what happened to the building

Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Yep, I remember the Betty Crocker restaurant. My family ate dinner there a couple times when I was a teenager. Wasn't it on the E. side of Scottsdale Rd, maybe just south of Osborn? It didn't seem to stay in business very long, and I don't know what happened to the building
There is now a Dennys near there and place that sells dates (the ones from date palm trees).

Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Wow, this is a great thread!

I moved to PHX in 1961 when I was 4 and it was my first air flight - Sky Harbor was tarmac, they rolled the steps out to the planes, and planes had propellers (gad I'm old ).

We lived off of 44th, between Indian School and Campbell. I went to Kachina Elementary and what I remember most was the huge row of date palms that towered over the playground and ran along a huge canal. This was at 44th & Campbell.

My grandmother had a Studebaker and she'd drive over to Scottsdale to pay the utility bills. I seem to recall hitching posts in near the city and county buildings back then - or was I just dreaming as a kid? I do recall that there wasn't much after you crossed the canal on 44th however.

We used to go to Pete's Fish N Chips on Indian School, and I'd walk up to the Circle K at 44th/Indian School to pick up stuff for my grandmother. Our favorite Mexican restaurant was on Indian School, about 5-6 blocks past 44th. I don't remember the name, not even sure it's still there, but boy was it good! The house on the corner of our street took up about 3 lots and had a barn. It was really neat at sunset to watch the bats flying out, in search of the evening's meal. I remember going to a drive-in, although I don't remember where it was - had to be in the same general area, since my grandmother never drove very far. We also went to a huge city pool in the summer. My best memories are about being a kid in Phoenix and riding my bike all over that part of town. I was Christopher Columbus, out to discover the New World!

I moved to SoCal in 1967. I wasn't able to visit Phoenix again until 2001. Obviously the changes were huge. The school is long gone, Equity Residential has apartments where the K-4 buildings once stood, and the back sports fields are now Kachina Park. While it was sad to see the school gone, I was so happy to see the awesome date palms I remembered as a child still standing guard over the canal. The house was still there, too - only thing changed in the neighborhood was the type of cars parked in the driveway. Pete's Fish N chips was no longer on Indian School, they've moved to the old Circle K on 44th.

I didn't visit again until 2007, and sometime in the prior 6 years, someone bought my gran's old house, tore it down and built some huge western wagon wheel monstrosity on the lot (way too big for the lot and neighborhood). Other than that, though, things were the same. I visit often now, since I'm so close, and I always find time to drive by the old neighborhood every time I visit. Personally, I'm impressed with the growth and changes. I think the east freeways are by far the prettiest highways I've seen. Phoenix has done a good job of growing up.
Unless my senile dementia is acting up, I recall that in the 60's Pete of Pete's Fish & Chips used to live on Osborn near 50th St, just a few blocks from my childhood home. There was a big fishing boat parked in the driveway along with a truck that had "There Goes Pete!" painted on the side. It always made me think he personally caught all the fish served at his drive-ins. In about 1987 or so, Pete was killed by somebody who wanted to steal his coin collection. I was called for the (very large) jury pool in the murder trial, but didn't serve on the jury. I'm pretty sure the defendant was convicted.

BTW Yukon, I went to Tavan about the same time you were at Kachina (but I'm a few years older, hence the senile dementia!). Our two schools were sort of rivals, but shared a band director named Chuck Walker, a really neat guy. He would have us marching around the neighborhood streets for weeks every year, practicing for the Scottsdale Parada del Sol. I wonder what the residents thought of having grade school kids blasting away on their instruments at breakfast time! At least we were ready for the parade, which was even televised locally in those days. I played a baritone sax that was about 4 inches taller than I was.

Thanks to Arizona Mike for the old postcards. Every one is a nostalgia trip (even though nostalgia isn't what it used to be!). I remember well the Tower Plaza Guggy's. Another childhood favorite restaurant was Gene's Broiler Buffet in Scottsdale--hamburgers grilled to order as you went through the line, homemade pies, and individual-size earthenware pots of baked beans. My buddy and I would pedal our bikes out the Arizona Canal bank to the Fifth Avenue area, visit the Wax Museum (Western settlers scalped by Indians! Lincoln shot by John Wilkes Booth!!), then eat lunch at Gene's; quite the Saturday adventure for us little squirts.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
Unless my senile dementia is acting up, I recall that in the 60's Pete of Pete's Fish & Chips used to live on Osborn near 50th St, just a few blocks from my childhood home. There was a big fishing boat parked in the driveway along with a truck that had "There Goes Pete!" painted on the side. It always made me think he personally caught all the fish served at his drive-ins. In about 1987 or so, Pete was killed by somebody who wanted to steal his coin collection. I was called for the (very large) jury pool in the murder trial, but didn't serve on the jury. I'm pretty sure the defendant was convicted.

BTW Yukon, I went to Tavan about the same time you were at Kachina (but I'm a few years older, hence the senile dementia!). Our two schools were sort of rivals, but shared a band director named Chuck Walker, a really neat guy. He would have us marching around the neighborhood streets for weeks every year, practicing for the Scottsdale Parada del Sol. I wonder what the residents thought of having grade school kids blasting away on their instruments at breakfast time! At least we were ready for the parade, which was even televised locally in those days. I played a baritone sax that was about 4 inches taller than I was.

Thanks to Arizona Mike for the old postcards. Every one is a nostalgia trip (even though nostalgia isn't what it used to be!). I remember well the Tower Plaza Guggy's. Another childhood favorite restaurant was Gene's Broiler Buffet in Scottsdale--hamburgers grilled to order as you went through the line, homemade pies, and individual-size earthenware pots of baked beans. My buddy and I would pedal our bikes out the Arizona Canal bank to the Fifth Avenue area, visit the Wax Museum (Western settlers scalped by Indians! Lincoln shot by John Wilkes Booth!!), then eat lunch at Gene's; quite the Saturday adventure for us little squirts.
The Wax Museum was on Stetson Drive and the building became Aunt Hatties, a group of 'antique' dealers later on. I think the museum moved over to Van Buren across from Legend City. I remember a long, narrow restaurant where Stetson curved back toward Scottsdale Rd. I wonder if that was Gene's. I do remember Sambo's being on the corner. So many neat coffee shops that have closed; Googy's, Helsings, Humpty Dumpty, Sambo's, Coffee Dan's, Big Boy, Hobo Joe's.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,582 times
I was born at Good Sam hospital in 1961 and grew up in the Arcadia area. My friends and i all had horses in our back yards. We used to ride to Papago park and swim our horses in the SRP pond behind the zoo. The canal banks were our horse highways that would take us to pretty much anywhere we needed to go in the city. Our yards were big and we got irrigation. The houses were built on top of old citrus orchards so we had lots of naval oranges and grapefruit to eat. I remember we had friends who lived in Carefree. It seemed like such a long drive. Sometimes there would be cattle in the middle of the road and we would have to stop. Scottsdale road was narrow and one lane each way back then. We used to get really bad dust storms during the monsoon back then.
We used to eat at Gene's Broiler in Scottsdale fifth ave.. I loved that place. Also Johns Green Gables. We also loved Tee Pee Tap.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickasprite View Post
I was born at Good Sam hospital in 1961 and grew up in the Arcadia area. My friends and i all had horses in our back yards. We used to ride to Papago park and swim our horses in the SRP pond behind the zoo. The canal banks were our horse highways that would take us to pretty much anywhere we needed to go in the city. Our yards were big and we got irrigation. The houses were built on top of old citrus orchards so we had lots of naval oranges and grapefruit to eat. I remember we had friends who lived in Carefree. It seemed like such a long drive. Sometimes there would be cattle in the middle of the road and we would have to stop. Scottsdale road was narrow and one lane each way back then. We used to get really bad dust storms during the monsoon back then.
We used to eat at Gene's Broiler in Scottsdale fifth ave.. I loved that place. Also Johns Green Gables. We also loved Tee Pee Tap.
Gene's Broiler Buffet was at 26 W. Stetson Drive right up the street from the Obrien Art Emporium and the American Wax World Museum. How is that for memory?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickasprite View Post
Also Johns Green Gables. We also loved Tee Pee Tap.
an old friend of mine's father used to be the guy on a horse in front of John's Green Gables back in the 50s....good thing they saved the building a few years ago when that "matching" office building was built behind it

sadly, the Tee Pee was discovered by the BMW/Lexus set years ago, even before Bush ate there...I prefer the still-undiscovered dives for real Mexican....

Old 06-22-2009, 11:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
What's weird is I remember all sorts of little details from when I was a kid in Phoenix, even watching snow flurries one time (seriously), but I don't remember the monsoons. I remember dust storms, and moving to the Mojave (where they were even worse), but no monsoons. Must have hit during nap time

Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
an old friend of mine's father used to be the guy on a horse in front of John's Green Gables back in the 50s....good thing they saved the building a few years ago when that "matching" office building was built behind it

sadly, the Tee Pee was discovered by the BMW/Lexus set years ago, even before Bush ate there...I prefer the still-undiscovered dives for real Mexican....
Your friend's father must have had some good stories.

As a young 'un I always loved going past Green Gables when the knight was out on his horse. (how did the horse get to work?) An old boss told me about working at GG as a parking valet when he was a teenager, probably in the late 50's. He was dressed up in a Robin Hood-esque costume complete with green tights, feathered cap, and slippers with pointy upturned toes. One evening he got his pointy slippers tangled in the pedals of a customer's shiny new Cadillac and smashed into the stone wall that surrounded the lot. No tip, I guess.

Yeah, the Tee Pee had already become sort of a Yuppie happy-hour hangout in the 80's (when I was sort of a Yuppie!). I figured I belonged anyway, since our family had been eating there since 1957. Back then we all piled into our Chevy station wagon; another old Mexican place we liked was La Palma, on McDowell somewhere around 24th St. My parents still eat at Tee Pee (and now they have a Lexus ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area