Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM

362 posts, read 1,704,794 times

Advertisements

Indeed! The Night Riders with a rather tame looking Neal Smith on drums.

For those of you who dont keep up on this stuff. Neal is now a successful realtor in the Connecticut area. Go here to see it for yourself. Neal Smith / Rock N Realtor

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame !
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-night-riders-neal-smith.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM

24,357 posts, read 13,225,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
...I used to cruise Central and occasionally Main in a Lime Green SuperBird with custom plates reading 70 HEMI.
In the mid 70s there was a big article in the Sunday Republic about cruising Central, with what to a young teen seemed like less-than-objective reporting. It was a rite of passage, and I remember the "Chinese Fire Drills" (I apologize if that term offends anyone) at red lights at Indian School and Osborn and being stupid and obnoxious at Park Central's lot. All the while X-Rock 80 was blasting out of an AM radio or when a car had FM, KDKB. For some reason Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" always reminds me of sitting on the hood at twilight at Park Central while it's 100 out, cicadas buzzing, music blaring from a mid-60s Malibu, and watching the parade of American iron drive by.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM

285 posts, read 907,809 times
Wasn't cruising moved to MetroCenter about the same time?
I recall the signage stating passing the same point three times in X amount of minutes constituted cruising and the drivers were subject to a ticket.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM

220 posts, read 658,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Yes, I traded in a worn out small block V-8 Camaro for a Pinto, right after gas prices doubled in 1979. Got it at Chapman Chev on Baseline. It got me to California for ROTC field training in 1980. I sold it for what I paid for it. I could park it at the zoo and bike across Mill Avenue to ASU (see a few pages back) without worry during the floods of February, who would break into a Pinto with an AM radio and an 8-track? Downsides: The insurance was more than the note, and it was a Pinto.

Sold it in late 1980 for a Mustang II (Mustang Also?) with a V-6, a 4-speed, manual (no power assist) steering and brakes and BR-60-13 Firestone 500 tires. Used to "road rally" up on Rockridge on the south side of Camelback Mtn and also on Galvin Parkway with a couple 280Zs, a Z-28 and a Corona; while not fast, the Mustang II was very sticky and could hold its own against faster vehicles, outcornering them easily. My apologies to anyone annoyed by its open exhaust and high revs.
I bought a brand new AllGlass Hatchback silver Ford Pinto from Larry Clayton Ford on Grand Ave and Thomas Road. I loved that car... It was a 5 speed shift as I recall and one day I was zipping home with $60 worth of groceries in the car, I went to change gears and the gear shift completely lifted out of "the socket" which was covered by black vinyl. I couldn't see, kept stabbing and finally landed back in the shift zone and was able to shift properly... I called the dealership and they all but called me stupid until I took the car in.... The pin had come out. The end of the Pinto was one August I was sitting at 59th Ave, Glendale and Grand Avenue in a horrific rain storm. The streets were totally flooded, some big truck came barreling down Grand Avenue and that little Pinto lifted up in the wave and almost turned to float away. Bye Bye Pinto, hello Mercury.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM

201 posts, read 547,046 times
Your right... Metrocenter did become the late night cruising area (Desertskies) once the PD started pinching everyone down on Central. Too many complaints about the tough guys and broken beer bottles, public use of the facilities etc. I dont blame em. We lived closer to Metrocenter anyway and would be forced to exit the loop on the south end to Dunlap Ave when they installed those dumb white sticks in the lanes and have to drive to 35th Ave and re-enter the loop on the north end. It was a pain in the bootie but never got a ticket for 3 times past the same place... come to think of it I dont know anyone that did by Phoenix PD. Muscle cars and show cars were and are as much a part of culture of Phoenix life ("moderator") as any other topic if not more so. Ask anyone. Hard to separate the two topics. Never saw the Duster (SluggoF16) you refer to. "Line it it up" (Learical AZ.) Ill take ya in the 70 Challenger T/A. 51st Ave from Orangewood to Northern northbound. Sound good? Its next to the alfalfa fields of Mrs. Sands home the widow of Mr. JP Sands.. Chevrolet.

Last edited by aviator7777; 07-11-2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 PM

427 posts, read 1,190,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
So triilcatz did you stay around Hohokam school long enought to go to Coronado High and what year did you graduate? You were probably a fews years ahead of me. I remember going to Hohokam to play softball and track meets against them. I went to Tonalea over on 68thSt. and Oak.
I was only at Hohokam for 2nd grade. We lived in Scottsdale while our house in south Phoenix was being built. I may have started 3rd there but I know I was in 3rd at Valley View. I graduated from South back when we were still the Rebels. Class of '71.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Encanto Park Kiddieland boat ride in 1955. I used to take my kid there, even had a birthday party once. Went to see Liberace at the shell, amazing they would hold a concert there. We sat on those tiered grass 'seats.' During the summer the Encanto pool was the best of all pools in Phoenix although I always worried I would be impaled by an arrow since the archery range was right next to it.

Attachment 82046
Tommy James and the Shondelles, spring of '68 I think...I believe I had flowers in my hair. Encanto was the best! I believe my first and only canoe ride was their with two girlfriends and we were laughing so hard we almost dumped it. My dad took me out on the pedal boats and they were much harder than they looked...he did all of the pedaling. Didn't they have a little kiddie amusement park within the park? I vaguely remember something like that.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
How many remember snowfall in Phoenix?
The greatest amount of snow ever recorded at the official reporting station in Phoenix was 1.0 inch on January 20 1933, and on January 21 and 22 1937.

Other times measurable snow was recorded include:
0.5 inches on February 2 1939
0.4 inches on December 21 and 22 1990
0.2 inches on March 12 1917
0.1 inches on November 28 1919
0.1 inches on December 11 1985
Trace amounts of snow have been recorded on numerous occasions.

I remember it 2x in the 60's...everyone raced up to South Mountain and came down with a snowman on their car. Just a dusting south of Dobbins Rd. but it was fun.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 PM

201 posts, read 547,046 times
Yes Thrillcatz... correct. There was a small amusement park for kids there at Encanto Park. Also, there was a small area with peacocks and goldfish lagoons.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,923,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Wasn't cruising moved to MetroCenter about the same time?
I recall the signage stating passing the same point three times in X amount of minutes constituted cruising and the drivers were subject to a ticket.
If I remember correctly, "cruising" moved to Metro Center sometime in the early 1980s, I can't remember why it was moved, but I remember it didn't last very long at Metro Center, and it went back to Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area