Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Funny - these posts got me thinking of Jutenhoops at the Town & Country on Camelback. I was seriously into stunt kites in the 80s, and Jutenhoops was one of the only place in the Valley that carried them. They also had lava lamps, posters, "odd" gifts & cards, & incense burning all the time.

That led me to think of Coyote Springs Brewing Co (replaced with a Chili's). First microbrewery I'd even been to. There was a glass wall in the pub that looked out onto the brew floor with the big copper kettles. They brewed an amber pilsner that was one of the best beers I've ever had.

There was also an Italian restaurant at T&C on the north side of the property (on Camelback), made the best angel hair w/pesto. Very casual; served wine in small juice glasses. My best friend & I used to have lunch there every couple of weeks. For the life of me, I can't remember the name...

Got it! Tucchetti's. (I knew I'd figure it out eventually... I spent enough time there. )
I miss Jute 'n Hoops and Tucchetti's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post
It was on channel 12 at 5PM on Saturdays, the Muppet show was on afterward. I don't remember watching 15 or 45 in those days(that was about 1975 or so), 15 came into being with ON tv, I think that was in the early 80's.

I've been reading this thread all week, still haven't got through it all. So I hope nobody else answered this question.

Thanks to all for filling in so many memories.
I was born at St, Joseph's in 1967, except for 2 years in Camp Verde. I've lived in the valley my whole life. So I can answer some questions about the area, and I have a few as well.

I grew up in my Grandmother's house on N 4th st, I was closest to 4th st and Montebello. The house was built when 4th street was called Kay Drive.
My Grandfather built the house in the 50's, with leftovers from his construction projects.
His company was Cox Homes, I'll assume that a few of you may have lived in one of his houses. He died in a helicopter crash in 1961, so I never met him. I have the family albums from that period and some of the pics will be of interest to some. My Grandmother owned the house until 1983 when she sold it, and moved to Camp Verde(after I lived up there, my mother and I had moved to Tempe by then).

Of course I have fond memories of Wallace and Ladmo, as well as Ladmo's Clubhouse, and I had won 2 Ladmo bags. I remember going to the Ladmo's on Bethany Home.

I remember going to Christown Mall a lot, I really liked going to Charlies House of Fun. That was quite a place. There was a toy store under the UA theaters anybody remember the name?

Websters Hobby shop was another one that was real neat, I also remember Tower Hobbies which was much bigger than Websters.

Anybody remember Scholers(sp?) toy shop? It was in the shopping center NE corner of 7th st and Glendale.

How about Crown Imports(yes it's still there) I miss the room they had with decorated Christmas trees around the holidays.

I have a lot more to tell.
Did you go to the Charlie's House of Fun at 35th Ave & McDowell or the newer one near 5th Ave & McDowell? I used to trade comics at the one at 35th Ave.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM

46 posts, read 116,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davd bob View Post
Can anyone confirm or refute my recollection that William Edward Compton (KDKB DJ, Compton Terrace, etc) died when his car plunged into the Crosscut Canal along 48th street south of Indian School?
If I remember correctly, the car he crashed into the canal was a Chevy Camaro. And I think he actually ended up in the smaller ditch that used to be on the on the west side of 48th Street, not the deeper one that used to be just east of the street south of Indian School.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM

272 posts, read 608,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I miss Jute 'n Hoops and Tucchetti's...
Yeah - so do I.

I've been digging around online for my old "haunts"; most of them are long gone.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM

20 posts, read 53,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Did you go to the Charlie's House of Fun at 35th Ave & McDowell or the newer one near 5th Ave & McDowell? I used to trade comics at the one at 35th Ave.
Charlie's House of Fun was a joke/magic shop at Christown mall.
That was back in the 70's/80's, when I first went there it was next to the Greenstamp store, later it moved into the Mall. From there I assume it shut down.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM

17 posts, read 42,571 times
Does anyone recall any exotic pet stores in the Phoenix area? Specifically stores from around the 60's era that would have sold animals for pets that today would likely require permits to obtain and keep. More common everyday pets may also have been sold there also.

A family member may have run or been involved with such an establishment around that time. They have since passed so I am unfortunately unable to provide more information regarding a name or location but with all the talk about old now defunct places going on I thought I would ask if anybody recalled anything of that type.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
There was a pet store associated with Jungle Park Zoo, I seem to remember, for one.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightime View Post
Does anyone recall any exotic pet stores in the Phoenix area? Specifically stores from around the 60's era that would have sold animals for pets that today would likely require permits to obtain and keep. More common everyday pets may also have been sold there also.

A family member may have run or been involved with such an establishment around that time. They have since passed so I am unfortunately unable to provide more information regarding a name or location but with all the talk about old now defunct places going on I thought I would ask if anybody recalled anything of that type.
I remember in the '60's when we were able to buy baby aligators, monkeys and descented skunks...I don't remember exactly where the pet stores were but I had friends who at one time had each of the above animals. It seems like any type of small mammal, reptile or amphibian was available and this was not uncommon. Was there a pet store associated with Jungle Park Zoo? I keep getting a picture of the signage for JPZ in my head. You could also order/purchase some kind of small animal from the back of comic books...I seem to remember "worlds smallest dog - fits inside a teacup". Sad practice and I'm so glad that was outlawed.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times
Default Compton

Heres Bill havin a smoke.

ps - Roosevelt, thanx for the address -its just south of U·S Airways Center
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-bill-cruisn.jpg  

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

20 posts, read 53,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There was a pet store associated with Jungle Park Zoo, I seem to remember, for one.
I grew up not far from Jungle park Zoo, if memory serves the store came after the Zoo closed.
It was near 7th st and Rose Lane on the west side of the street.
I remember last going by the pet store in the nineties. I don't know when it closed.

My uncle tells stories of the guy that owned the place, The guy had a hairdo that had to be seen to be believed(he was hiding his balding).

Anybody remember Starship Fantasy(arcades in Tempe and Phoenix)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area