Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,895,559 times

Advertisements

When I moved here from Perfect. I was shocked on the fees here. I do know why AZMDV charges $600.00 fees for tags plus inspection. Outrageous DL Fees.

Florida is $44.00 and 50.00 for a DL. I truly miss those days!

I have purchase 2 New /use Vehicles here and until the 3rd year it was $600.00 regardless to have just one more year driving in the Wonderful State of Arizona. No one at the DMV has really has given me a solid reasonable explanation.:confuse d:
But AZ-DMV are willing to take your money with a smile.

People tell me I am whining because California is for worst.. I can only imagine. Some say its for the State Highway fund and others say its a money hungry Department.

We may never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

11 posts, read 15,599 times
Hello folks! I'm a noob who registered to see if there is a link to any AZ website that shows exactly what % of a cars value they charge at the DMV.

I plan on moving to Phoenix next year and have a 10 year old truck that isn't worth much, but I am going to buy a new vehicle when I get there and want to know how much registration will be.

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM

216 posts, read 606,485 times
djeffares.com - Djeffares.com AZ-VLT Calculator

From my experience, this is pretty accurate.

Also, to those mentioning the horrible MVD lines -- there are PRIVATELY OWNED offices that are legal alternatives to the AZ MVD offices! This was new to us when we moved here. The line at the Chandler ADOT MVD was easily an hour and a half long. The place we went to, TSI Title Registration, had us in and out the door within five minutes. No wait at all. According to them, that's typically the case. The registration cost us an extra $25 fee. We were already paying almost $425... the extra $25 to save that much time was worth every penny.

You can find a list of authorized MVD locations depending on the service you're looking for here:

Arizona's Authorized Third Party Provider

Hope that helps!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
djeffares.com - Djeffares.com AZ-VLT Calculator

From my experience, this is pretty accurate.

Also, to those mentioning the horrible MVD lines -- there are PRIVATELY OWNED offices that are legal alternatives to the AZ MVD offices! This was new to us when we moved here. The line at the Chandler ADOT MVD was easily an hour and a half long. The place we went to, TSI Title Registration, had us in and out the door within five minutes. No wait at all. According to them, that's typically the case. The registration cost us an extra $25 fee. We were already paying almost $425... the extra $25 to save that much time was worth every penny.

You can find a list of authorized MVD locations depending on the service you're looking for here:

Arizona's Authorized Third Party Provider

Hope that helps!
So, according to that first link you posted, my car (2004 Beetle would cost $10.15 to register. Is that right? and is that ALL? (Tax $0.40 Registration Fee $8.25 Air Quality Research Fee $1.50)

I currently pay $137 per year. (it went down this year due to the age of my car. Last year it was over $200) We do not to emissions testing here.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 13,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Just make sure you do it soon, this is the time of the year that cops are looking for out of state plates. They've been known to wait outside of schools to see if anyone with non-Arizona plates are dropping off kids.
I'm curious about this, we are moving to Avondale in 3 weeks. In Ohio we can renew our tags for 2 yrs (which we did). So we won't need to renew them until 2015. Can they make us register them in AZ?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So, according to that first link you posted, my car (2004 Beetle would cost $10.15 to register. Is that right? and is that ALL? (Tax $0.40 Registration Fee $8.25 Air Quality Research Fee $1.50)

I currently pay $137 per year. (it went down this year due to the age of my car. Last year it was over $200) We do not to emissions testing here.
No that's not correct. What did your car cost when new?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmomo77 View Post
I'm curious about this, we are moving to Avondale in 3 weeks. In Ohio we can renew our tags for 2 yrs (which we did). So we won't need to renew them until 2015. Can they make us register them in AZ?
Don't know the specifics, but if you intend to live here permanently you are considered an Arizona resident and you need to get Arizona plates. Think the only way you can get around it is by being a snowbird who vacates the state over the summer. Yes, if they find you they will make you register the plates in Arizona.

I tried to keep my plates until they expired because I was planning on selling the car soon. Some state agency was trolling through my apartment complex and I got a letter in the mail reminding me to get Arizona plates and I had a time window to do it. So the state of Arizona actively looks at apartment complexes, work parking lots, schools to find people trying to dodge registering their vehicles. Sold my car the same month, so I did not have to worry about it.

Spend a lot of time out in Avondale and the cops are pretty vigilant. So on the off chance they pull you over for a minor traffic offense, trust me they will ask about your plates.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmomo77 View Post
Why don't you just pay your fair share of using the roads like the rest of us do? What you are proposing is both dishonest and illegal. [snip-- rude]

Last edited by observer53; 08-30-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No that's not correct. What did your car cost when new?
I certainly didn't think that could be true. I believe the MSRP of my car new was around $28K.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I certainly didn't think that could be true. I believe the MSRP of my car new was around $28K.
Did you use the link Zeromus-x posted? I came up with $108.17 for your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area