Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,084,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I remember flying into New Orleans years ago to go to Jazz Fest which was held last weekend of April and first weekend in May so we're not talking summer here. The air was so thick you could see the humidity...sort of a green haze. It was probably in the mid-80's that morning but it felt like a swamp. I'll take 110 in the desert any day!!
You reminded me of a business trip to Houston. I think it was in November... definitely not summer. Just walking a couple hundred feet across the parking lot was uncomfortable. I was nice at night, though.

hikernut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 PM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Today not sure how it could feel any worse in any other state you guys are crazy I can't stay outside more then 30 minutes.
This was all current readings right now just pulled the numbers from http://www.wunderground.com/
Phoenix 85022 100F 30% humidity = heat index of 102
Goodyear az 98F 40% humidity = heat index of 105
Chicago, 73F 67% humidity = heat index of 76
Memphis 91F 44% humidity = Heat index of 92 that is close but as you can see higher heat moves the index more then humidity

Using the heat index calculator Phoenix is way worse
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex.shtml

Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM

604 posts, read 935,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Today not sure how it could feel any worse in any other state you guys are crazy....
Heat index is a measurement of how the temperature feels to the human body. Of course Phoenix is going to be "way worse" because the air is so dry (it's relative humidity) the body will dehydrate much faster than, say in Memphis because there's much more water in the air in Memphis than in Phoenix. Relative humidity of 60 in Memphis and 60 in Phoenix are not the same. Remember, it's RELATIVE.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:22 PM

183 posts, read 550,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'll let this go for a little bit, but then I'm closing it. There are MANY threads on this basic subject (humidity vs higher temps) all over this forum.
Heh, heh, heh

Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 PM

683 posts, read 855,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintrps View Post
I'm a SoCal Native who moved to Central Florida 6 years ago. I would like to move back out West, and SoCal is out due to co$t. So, anyone who has lived in a humid area, and now reside in AZ..I ask you which is worse? 100+ degree heat for 4 months, or 90 degree heat with high humidity for 4 months?
I live in Miami and I'm desperately trying to go to AZ. I've been out there several times and to me. I think FL weather is worse with the humidity. AZ just feels like a hot oven but you can still breathe. Not so much in Miami.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:32 PM

683 posts, read 855,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
At 6:30 in the morning, maybe. It's not like that all day like it is in the south. You can't equate a couple hours of our day to the humid, sticky climate that the south has to deal with all summer long.
This is very true. The said temperature is like that all day in Miami but worse.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 AM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Heat index is a measurement of how the temperature feels to the human body. Of course Phoenix is going to be "way worse" because the air is so dry (it's relative humidity) the body will dehydrate much faster than, say in Memphis because there's much more water in the air in Memphis than in Phoenix. Relative humidity of 60 in Memphis and 60 in Phoenix are not the same. Remember, it's RELATIVE.
Today here at noon was as bad as any of those states. Lucky I got rain today I spent the entire day outside working on my Jeep the rain was really cooled things off. I posted the calculator link so if someone wanted to compare.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,596,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I live in Miami and I'm desperately trying to go to AZ. I've been out there several times and to me. I think FL weather is worse with the humidity. AZ just feels like a hot oven but you can still breathe. Not so much in Miami.
Big difference is the sea breeze and the beach in Miami, that is night and day and after you live in Miami the humidity isn't as bad as people make it, of course that depends on the person.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,661,500 times
I lived in South Florida for twelve years and have been living in the Phoenix area for the past two. I just returned to Phoenix on Saturday evening after having spent a week at my condo in South Florida, cleaning and renovating following the departure of my tenants earlier this summer, so I'm able to draw a very recent direct comparison between extreme desert heat and humid subtropical heat.

I do not care what anyone says--summers in Phoenix are much harder, for lack of a better term, than summers in Florida, especially South Florida. In fact, there's really no comparison, IMO.

In Florida, there are lots of "breaks" from the heat and humidity--clouds, sun-showers, daily afternoon thunderstorms, sea-breezes, trees, days of rain due to passing "systems," and so forth.

In Phoenix, OTOH, there are hardly any breaks from the intense desert heat. Compared to Florida, temperatures are much higher and cloud cover is sparse, making the heat in Phoenix *feel* much more intense than the heat in Florida. Summers are a lot longer in Phoenix, too (May 15 - Oct 5). By about Sept 1, summers in Florida are pretty much over. Adding insult to injury, our pathetic monsoon storms rarely produce any measurable precipitation anymore. Instead, monsoon season blesses the Valley with relatively high humidity by desert standards and blinding dust storms that carry coccidioides or "cocci" fungi, which cause Valley Fever. Oh, yeah--no shade trees in the Phoenix area, either.

Another thing I noticed last week--South Florida, especially in the beach areas, is a lot more lively in the summertime than anywhere in Phoenix or Arizona in general, for that matter. South Florida locals, although generally cranky, seem a lot less flustered by the summer heat than people in Phoenix. Also, there are lots more tourists in Florida, esp. compared to Phoenix, whose resorts are virtually empty in the summertime aside from locals on a "stay-cation." Overall, Florida is more "teeming with life," if you will, in the summertime compared to Phoenix, and I think that's due in large part to it's more hospitable climate, although people in Phoenix will try to convince you otherwise until they're blue in the face--I call it denial.

On a final note, I'll leave you with this--you don't burn your hands touching your car steering wheel or door handles in Florida, but you most certainly do in Phoenix.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, yes it is.

Last week I walked outside to go to work, and at 6:30AM it was already 94 degrees, with 70% humidity and a 65-degree dew point. Thats almost exactly like it was when I lived in Tennessee. I take it you havent lived in the south?
I've lived in the midwest, and have yet to experience humidity here at all compared to what I am used to.

Early mornings are always humid most everywhere, but how about dew points in the mid 70s all day long? That is what I am used to. People saying "OMG it is 38% humidity outside!" just get a chuckle from me, that is a dry day to me. Sorry. Not the same here, not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area