Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,896,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoodtry View Post
Sorry, but I can't find the article that had the top 150 cities to face economic decline over next 10 years and they had Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert in the 130-150 range.

Based it on a poor job market and a false recovery of real estate, which will lead to an economic downturn.

Just to be clear, I am not trolling in anyway, trying to get anyone upset, but would just like to see what residents think, as I am looking to relocate to the area.

As I have been looking at relocating, I have a few saved Zillow searches and I have noticed a number of PRICE CUTS on houses.

Would lvoe opinions.
It is good we are aware of how Central Arizona is doing. I do not think you are trolling at all. As a matter of fact I am pushing to open up a distribution center in Arizona to support the West Coast. It is just a matter of folks caring about their state and city that will make a difference.

I miss Arizona and We want to return after doing our duty in South Florida.! For therecord South Florida, Miami is in decline a well. Just drive to Miami one day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I miss Arizona and We want to return after doing our duty in South Florida.! For therecord South Florida, Miami is in decline a well. Just drive to Miami one day!
The Phoenix area is very nice. If most of the posters here had a chance to live somewhere else for an extended period of time, they would appreciate the Valley that much more. Some of the haters converted to fans after they moved and then later came back to Phoenix.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-09-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Laugh all you want, but Chicago is superior to PHX in every possible way (minus taxes and winter weather), and you know that.

Who cares where people are fleeing? What does that have to do with light rail? Besides, I cant blame people for leaving Chicago and the Democratic machine! Theyre leaving the crime, high taxes, and corruption of Chicago and leaving the dead-end small towns. In the meantime, the suburbs are booming like nobody's business. I also see lots of people fleeing AZ, too. If people actually stayed here, the population would be gigantor

The point is that PHX is inadequate in soooo many areas. Whereas cities like Chicago, despite all their troubles, are so many eons above and beyond PHX that its embarrassing. The arts, public transporation, culture, food, activities, sports, etc, etc, etc, etc, in places like Chicago make other "big" cities like Phoenix look lame. Driving down Central or 7th in Phoenix looks like a rundown suburb, not a major city!

And how do we know theres "no demand" here? Light rail use is actually pretty good! And all I hear from coworkers (who are all from elsewhere) is how theyd love to take a train to downtown versus taking the highways. I think the demand in Phoenix is definitely here, especially in today's economy and seeing how the metro area is spread over such a HUGE area. A commuter rail system would be beneficial. Granted it doesnt have to be huge, but at least give us the option!
C'mon now...Chicago was incorporated in what...the 1830s? Phoenix didn't start growing until the 1940s. All that infrastructure and culture you are referring to had a 100 year head start. This stuff doesn't happen overnight...

Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Laugh all you want, but Chicago is superior to PHX in every possible way (minus taxes and winter weather), and you know that.

Who cares where people are fleeing? What does that have to do with light rail? Besides, I cant blame people for leaving Chicago and the Democratic machine! Theyre leaving the crime, high taxes, and corruption of Chicago and leaving the dead-end small towns. In the meantime, the suburbs are booming like nobody's business. I also see lots of people fleeing AZ, too. If people actually stayed here, the population would be gigantor

The point is that PHX is inadequate in soooo many areas. Whereas cities like Chicago, despite all their troubles, are so many eons above and beyond PHX that its embarrassing. The arts, public transporation, culture, food, activities, sports, etc, etc, etc, etc, in places like Chicago make other "big" cities like Phoenix look lame. Driving down Central or 7th in Phoenix looks like a rundown suburb, not a major city!

And how do we know theres "no demand" here? Light rail use is actually pretty good! And all I hear from coworkers (who are all from elsewhere) is how theyd love to take a train to downtown versus taking the highways. I think the demand in Phoenix is definitely here, especially in today's economy and seeing how the metro area is spread over such a HUGE area. A commuter rail system would be beneficial. Granted it doesnt have to be huge, but at least give us the option!
Who cares where people are fleeing? It pretty much destroys your argument that's why we care. When tens of thousands of people move to Phoenix from Chicago, that pretty much tells you which city is superior. Actions speak louder than words. You don't see a mass migration of people moving from Phoenix to Chicago. And I think the food in Chicago is terrible. I love the food in NY, Boston and SF but Chicago food is mediocre and expensive for no reason. And South Chicago is a war zone and the murder capital of the United States. People are moving out of the city because it looks like some post-apocalyptic world that you would see on Falling Skies. It's even infiltrating your upscale areas like Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park etc. I never thought I would see that happen. People in Chicago are moving to the burbs because they have no choice, not because they want to.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
C'mon now...Chicago was incorporated in what...the 1830s? Phoenix didn't start growing until the 1940s. All that infrastructure and culture you are referring to had a 100 year head start. This stuff doesn't happen overnight...
Good point. Here's my take: When I took a job here 15 years ago we didn't know anything about Arizona. I was so focused on the wonderful job opportunity I never considered that we were moving to a desert! Once I lifted my head out of the sand (no pun intended! ) we began to explore the state to see what it had to offer. Boy, did we get an education! Back east all we new was that Arizona was one big desert. We didn't know about the diverse climates, beautiful scenery and outdoor activities the state offers. Unfortunately, the only thing people seem to know about Arizona is the heat, haboobs, the Grand Canyon and peculiar legislation. But there is so much more. Long story short, we have been pleasantly surprised by life in the desert. Sure, there are issues (many were mentioned in this thread), but for the most part it has been ok. My biggest pet peeves have been the lower pay and how transient it is. My wife really likes living here, which is a miracle in and of itself. I don't anticipate staying here much longer (I long to be near friends and family back east), but our experience in the desert has been enjoyable. The key, I believe, is to take Arizona (which includes Phoenix!) for what it is and not try to make it like anyplace else.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 08-09-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 08:34 AM

397 posts, read 661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Who cares where people are fleeing? It pretty much destroys your argument that's why we care. When tens of thousands of people move to Phoenix from Chicago, that pretty much tells you which city is superior. Actions speak louder than words. You don't see a mass migration of people moving from Phoenix to Chicago. And I think the food in Chicago is terrible. I love the food in NY, Boston and SF but Chicago food is mediocre and expensive for no reason. And South Chicago is a war zone and the murder capital of the United States. People are moving out of the city because it looks like some post-apocalyptic world that you would see on Falling Skies. It's even infiltrating your upscale areas like Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park etc. I never thought I would see that happen. People in Chicago are moving to the burbs because they have no choice, not because they want to.
Yeah they're moving because the food is terrible in Chicago, having lived in Chicago for 26 years I'd say the opposite is true. Food in Phoenix in my experience is mediocre, trying to find good pizza or hot dogs in this town is futile. Glad we finally have a Portillos here now, wish we'd get a Gino's, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Ed Debevic's and even a White Castle would be nice.

If you don't want to get murdered in Chicago move out to the burbs, there are plenty to choose from. The Chicagoland suburbs encompass a lot more area than the Phoenix ones do.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:56 AM

595 posts, read 1,258,628 times
Default Phx food

I came from an area where there is an abundance of good eats from 5 star to catering trucks. There is even a chain that flys in NYC water for it's special pizza and authentic east coasters say it's worth the drive. Same with a cajin place.

For here in Phoenix, I'm totally surprised at the lack of mom n pop hole in the wall Mexican or snowbird's hometown cuisine. The 'berto's are good and plentiful. I'd have to say except for the chain in Tempe that I have yet to try; a good ole Costco or Sam's Club kosher beef dog hits the spot under $2 for a drink and dog.

I hope if there are some overlooked gems that people are kind enough to share.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:02 AM

595 posts, read 1,258,628 times
Default light rail does go thru sketchy parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There were buses along the same routes that moved people as quickly at a fraction of the cost. The buses were just not trendy enough for the urbanistas and drunken sports fans. The novelty has worn off and the urbanistas went back to their SUVs. The light rail is now pretty much bums and students outside of game nights. It was built through a trashy part of town that is still trashy today. I doubt much would have changed.
Sorry that's one reason I chickened out for fireworks 2 yrs in a row. Not the venue itself but am not comfortable taking the light rail to and from alone. It might be ok for daytime commutes especially if your destination is on a stop.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Yeah they're moving because the food is terrible in Chicago, having lived in Chicago for 26 years I'd say the opposite is true. Food in Phoenix in my experience is mediocre, trying to find good pizza or hot dogs in this town is futile. Glad we finally have a Portillos here now, wish we'd get a Gino's, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, Ed Debevic's and even a White Castle would be nice.

If you don't want to get murdered in Chicago move out to the burbs, there are plenty to choose from. The Chicagoland suburbs encompass a lot more area than the Phoenix ones do.
I went to the Portillos recently and while it was OK, it was nothing THAT special. We would not go back. We had an Ed Debevic's here at one time. I liked it for the atmosphere, the decor, but not the food. Again, nothing special. We even had White Castles at one time. They were launched with a lot of fanfare and excitement from people from Chicago. Ed's and the White Castles are gone now. I guess people from outside of Chicago just don't buy into the great Chicago food idea in enough numbers to make them profitable. To be honest, maybe it is more homesickness than quality of the eats. I crave pasties like any Yooper would. Fortunately there is a pasty place or two in town (there is everything if you look for it). Of course, they are just not like the real thing , but I do enjoy their original style now and then.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Sorry that's one reason I chickened out for fireworks 2 yrs in a row. Not the venue itself but am not comfortable taking the light rail to and from alone. It might be ok for daytime commutes especially if your destination is on a stop.
My only experience and the source of my remarks was a few months back when we took the light rail to see what was involved in getting from ASU downtown to ASU Tempe as we were making the kids check out ASU. It was pretty bad. Very slow with a lot of stops like a bus and a collection of strange looking, foul smelling characters and kids. Sorry, light rail lovers. I called it as I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area