Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM

106 posts, read 533,024 times

Advertisements

I'm with you SierraAZ and it's nice to "hear" someone else say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 AM

410 posts, read 1,294,017 times
Someone asked about the solar water heater.. they put in all new tank, pipes, valves, panel, controllers, etc. They did a really good job and I would highly recommend them. If you'd like their contact information, just pm me. They've been doing solar here in the valley for over 30 years, I believe.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM

77 posts, read 406,277 times
Great post. I am in central Phoenix and looking at 1) having the foam pumped into my 1948 block home. 2) have replaced 1/2 the windows with low E squared commercial grade windows (modern look) 3) setting up to plant vines on free standing trellis along the western walls to shade from the sun and have a dead airspace. 4) I am interested in names of the solar hot water vendor.

Once that is done :-) I will most likely be ready to sell nad move to land up in Washington (how I ended up on the site)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM

44,642 posts, read 61,669,787 times
There are a couple of problems with more people not using total solar homes today. One, they are expensive to convert, upwards of $50,000 depending on circumstances. Yes, there is some re-bates, but secondly AZ is such a transitory town, people move every 3-7 years and it takes about 20 years to amortize a solar system.
Heres an article about a solar house system...Solar power systems arrive in more stores - USATODAY.com

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Before I moved to Glendale I was excited about the prospect of putting in solar hot water, evaporative cooler, and maybe even photovoltaic panels to reduce those high summer electric bills and do my little bit for the environment.

But some folks in the home improvement business have thrown cold water on my plans. They say solar hot water "makes you feel righteous" but has maintenance issues and takes 5-6 years to pay for itself. Evaporative coolers introduce moisture that can lead to mold, and they do require regular maintenance. Solar electric panels are still extremely expensive and it can take 20 years to pay for themselves.

Also, the prices seem to be higher than I expected. I've heard an evap cooler might cost $300 plus installation, which seems reasonable, but I've also heard much higher numbers. Similarly for solar hot water.

I don't know. I guess I need to get some vendors out and give me estimates, and we can make a decision. It seems stupid to waste all that sunlight. My electric bills in August (when we moved here) were over $300/month. If that's going to be the average for five months a year, then shaving $100/month off that bill is going to pay back pretty quickly I would think.

I would also hope and expect that solar energy will increase the resale value of my home so I would get some of that money back if I sell the house in about 5-6 years. But a fellow at Home Depot who was trying to sell me attic insulation claims that some people regard it as not an asset but as a nuisance and will disconnect it. He argues that attic insulation, plus modern insulated windows, makes the biggest difference in home energy use.

My windows are crappy, but my attic insulation is normal and the attic is well ventilated, so I'm not sure his argument really applies. I do want better windows but it'll cost about $300-$500/window. I guess that also increases resale value.

Just thinking out loud here. I would love to hear any comments, pro and con, regarding solar energy.
Their are new solar panels on the way! Developed using Nano science.....google is a investor in them! When your trying to improve your energy bills of your home.....you need to start with the envelope of your house. I have my bills averaging $126 a month in the middle of Wis.. :-))))

Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM

150 posts, read 457,950 times
Is solar water really going to save you much money??

Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM

77 posts, read 406,277 times
Good question. Depends on what your threshold for saving is. Or if you just want to use solar based on the eco aspect or the abundance of sun.

S&S

Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM

150 posts, read 457,950 times
I now this amy be a CRAZY question but here goes: Is there an inexpenisve way to start converitng your hoem to solar?? I know for most folks solar is an awesome idea but generally expensive but it would be GREAT if there were a way to start out inexpensivelly and work your way to converitng your home to be more green. Somewhat like landscaping the front of your home and leaving the sides and backyard for the next few seasons.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 AM

919 posts, read 3,397,212 times
I never thought about solar water heaters until AFTER my older heater went bust and got it replaced in a flurry of immediacy (we all need hot water). All I was thinking about was replacing a dead tank and I got a bunch of prices ranging from $1500 to $500 for a traditional unit.

Then I was visited by the same company that did my solar pool system and they mentioned doing water heaters. They seemed to be priced equally but you also get a tax break.

If I had known, they would have gotten some serious consideration. It seems dumb to pay for hot water in PHX during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area