Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,423,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I don't get why people comment on our homes being close together. It's not like we are the first to do this. There are so many areas of the country, old and new that have very close lots. I see it all the time either in person when I travel or on tv.

It's a compliment. More homes in the West are built like that. In the East and South, more homes are spaced out. Go look at the link I provided, which will show you that. Don't know what the problem is.

USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post

It's a compliment. More homes in the West are built like that. In the East and South, more homes are spaced out. Go look at the link I provided, which will show you that. Don't know what the problem is.

USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)
I don't think you understand what any of us are talking about.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand what any of us are talking about.

Why do you say that?

Old 01-21-2008, 04:39 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,327,283 times
Quote:
I don't get why people comment on our homes being close together. It's not like we are the first to do this. There are so many areas of the country, old and new that have very close lots. I see it all the time either in person when I travel or on tv.
I don't think they are that small. Besides, if we had too much land, it would be too rural! I like it the way it is.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM

They really aren't that small. Just closer together than the East (I like the way Phoenix is).

Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
The East where...in rural parts? Look at neighborhoods in Boston, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh etc etc etc where they have houses feet apart from each other and this small backyard.

Here are some houses from Pittsburgh...you're telling me that these are further apart and have larger lots then houses in Phoenix?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

The suburbs. Not the core city, the SUBURBS. That is why I provided that link to show the largest urban areas in America. The East Coast urban areas are less dense than the West Coast urban areas.

That's why I provided that link because I knew someone would start posting photos of the core of eastern cities.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
The suburbs. Not the core city, the SUBURBS. That is why I provided that link to show the largest urban areas in America. The East Coast urban areas are less dense than the West Coast urban areas.

That's why I provided that link because I knew someone would start posting photos of the core of eastern cities.
I, for one, agree with your basic point. Suburbs here ARE dense. Phoenix burbs pack 'em in tight.

Several years ago, USA Today has a big story on urban/sprawl. Interestingly, and correctly, Phoenix metro was a low sprawl city/metro compared to many places in the east. Nashville was the sprawl winner and I would agree with that having visited there. It is miles upon miles of 1-10 acre spreads. If we had our 4 million spread out like that we'd stretch to the Colorado.

The sardine can style of subdividing is not unique to Phoenix though. You see the same thing in all the western boom cities. Seattle is maybe the worst case of it. Houses in new developments there are so close together that you wonder how they applied the siding.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 AM

^^Exactly. Phoenix is not alone, as Los Angeles, Portland, and Bay Area suburbs do the same thing as Phoenix.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
If you would like to read how "some" would like the valley to be (as well as other urban areas), this website might be of interest

Smart Growth Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area