Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A) Density refers to number of people per square mile. We do not want to have density such as they do in Los Angeles, Chicago etc
I know what density refers to. Having everything spread out throughout the ENTIRE city is not entirely a good thing. Having density in the core and having it more spread out as you get farther out is a good thing.

Quote:
B) The Grid system was to allow for orderly growth
And denser growth. Look at Phoenix's density because of the grid system:
USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

Quote:
C) Those new towers are some of the first in a very long time. And, they are likely to be the last
They still had to density. They won't be the last either, because even I know of a ton of projects for Phoenix.

Quote:
D) The light rail is to allow people to travel from one side of the valley (Glendale) to another side (Mesa)
It also adds to density, as many want to then live nearby the rail stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I know what density refers to. Having everything spread out throughout the ENTIRE city is not entirely a good thing. Having density in the core and having it more spread out as you get farther out is a good thing.
And denser growth. Look at Phoenix's density because of the grid system:
USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)
They still had to density. They won't be the last either, because even I know of a ton of projects for Phoenix.
It also adds to density, as many want to then live nearby the rail stations.
You want (I think) a New York type residential density. That will not happen here in the valley.

We will go "OUT" - not "UP". We will allow 4 to 5 (or maybe a few more) homes per acre. But, the movement to allow 250 homes per acre will not occur.

I know Phoenix quite well - born here in the 40's - I understand the growth - I understand the original, and amended plans. I understand the Hi rise, mid rise and low rise corridors. I understand the need for additional hi density commerical space. I understand that there will also be a demand, albeit limited, for higher density residential - as is currently being shown by some of the redevelopment downtown and with the lofts.

But, hi density residential is not the general future of Phoenix and the Valley of the Sun

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Phoenix is a dense metro are though. The way they have it laid out (in the grid system) is the reason for that. There aren't many winding streets, etc. Go look at the link I posted.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Phoenix is a dense metro are though. The way they have it laid out (in the grid system) is the reason for that. There aren't many winding streets, etc. Go look at the link I posted.
I don't have too - I was involved with the grid design.

And, the grid design was not for density - it is based on the Government Survey System - you can look at cities that utilize this land survey system and see the exact same grid design for their streets.

It is also the reason farms fields are squared off

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 PM

172 posts, read 252,433 times
Quote:
Phoenix is a dense metro are though.
You wrote this a little while ago:

Quote:
Phoenix lacks....density of any kind.
Which is it ?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
You wrote this a little while ago:

Which is it ?
What I meant was highrises. Phoenix's downtown looks nothing more than a suburban office park.

The general area of the "Valley of the Sun" is dense because city leaders developed a nice grid system. This led to overall density in the area.

Quote:
I don't have too - I was involved with the grid design.

And, the grid design was not for density - it is based on the Government Survey System - you can look at cities that utilize this land survey system and see the exact same grid design for their streets.

It is also the reason farms fields are squared off
It was for easy travel, but the grid system LED to density. I'm not saying it was created for density.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What I meant was highrises. Phoenix's downtown looks nothing more than a suburban office park.

The general area of the "Valley of the Sun" is dense because city leaders developed a nice grid system. This led to overall density in the area.
You have a totally different meaning for the word "density" than most people

A vast majority of people say we suffer from "sprawl" which is totally opposite of density.

And, Phoenix's downtown WAS INTENDED TO LOOK LIKE IT DOES - it was a deliberate part of the master plan

Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM

Phoenix has a master plan? Like, a master planned city?

And Phoenix's sprawl is what you call "dense sprawl". Los Angeles is another example. Yeah, it sprawls for miles and miles, but houses are close together, and there aren't big yards. You can see this from a map (or the link I provided).

Old 01-21-2008, 03:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:

C) Those new towers are some of the first in a very long time. And, they are likely to be the last

D) The light rail is to allow people to travel from one side of the valley (Glendale) to another side (Mesa)

Not really. There are quite a few more towers planned, although I'm sure only a few will end up going through. There are two office towers that are a "go", one already under construction and the other nearing construction. As for residential, there are about 7 off the top of my head, but of those only 2 are what I would consider "real" and the others we'll see. Either way, we should see at least 4 new towers rise before the year is over.

As for light rail, yes, the main focus is to move people...but it's also to promote more centralized living and more density.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Phoenix has a master plan? Like, a master planned city?

And Phoenix's sprawl is what you call "dense sprawl". Los Angeles is another example. Yeah, it sprawls for miles and miles, but houses are close together, and there aren't big yards. You can see this from a map (or the link I provided).
I don't get why people comment on our homes being close together. It's not like we are the first to do this. There are so many areas of the country, old and new that have very close lots. I see it all the time either in person when I travel or on tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area