Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 08:55 AM

488 posts, read 857,602 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview in Scottsdale last week and things look promising, so I am trying to narrow down things so that if I have to get ready to pull the trigger on a move, I am prepared. I have been following and searching on this board for months, with the initial intent of moving in August and working from home, but with this new career development, my plans are going to change.

I will be working in the 85260 zip code. It's very close to Kierland Commons. I have been endlessly searching apartments online and every time I find one that seems to look great, when I check reviews they are all either so glowing and mention staff members by name (which raises a flag for me) or so horrifying I'm scared to set foot on the property (this usually involves mentions of roach infestation or paper thin walls). I have absolutely no idea how to sort through and find "real reviews" but between Yelp and ApartmentRatings.com it seems that there isn't a decent place to live anywhere in the area. I know this can't be true, but I can't find the truth that may be somewhere in the middle based on what information I have.

I was only in Scottsdale briefly. I saw one apartment, which may or may not be available when I am ready (they were full) and another one I couldn't get in to see, but did speak to a resident who said it was a good place to live. After that, I'm kind of lost. I don't think I'll be able to get out there again before moving.

I'd like to stick to around $1k per month, preferably a two bedroom, but will accept a one bedroom if big enough. Must accept two small dogs (15 lbs each, they are not what would ever fall on a breed restriction list). I have found many that meet all the criteria I'm looking for, but then the reviews seem to dash my hopes. Can anyone help me figure this out? Does anyone have feedback on the apartments below or other recommendations that fit my needs? I'd like to keep my commute as low as possible, but willing to go to up to 30 minutes for a true gem of a place.

Villa Montana
Frank's on Shea
The Legend at Keirland
Waterford on Tatum (this is the only one the reviews seem to be all okay, but I can't find a direct web site for them, just an apartments.com listing and Craigslist ads?)
Broadstone Scottsdale Horizon
Ventana Luxury Apartments
Vintage at Scottsdale

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Are any of those Mark Taylor properties? That group is well known for their quality properties and management.

I don't put much stock in apartmentratings.com except MAYBE the comments that were written in the last year. I pretty much feel the same about Yelp. Those that are unhappy or passed tend to post so called reviews. Those that are happy and satisfied rarely bother.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
I will throw one in that I used to suggest but will not anymore. My mother is in the process of leaving McDonald East, very nice place, but recent remodeling has caused ~ 20% increase in price, and it's too much for someone on her modest income. They no longer meet the OP's criteria.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm bumping this to see if anyone new might be able to offer opinions. I think I've narrowed it down to Ventana and Waterford on Tatum. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 PM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
I lived in Ventana for 2 years and have been in your shoes of apartment hunting and I can provide the best insight on Ventana and then I know some things about the others.

Villa Montana-Don't know much but they look nice with good access to FLW and Shea Blvd
Frank's on Shea-I always thought these were nice, more $$ than I could've afforded but good reviews
The Legend at Keirland-Also very nice and expensive but prob more for location than anything. Right in the center of Kierland. Prob won't get your 1k for 2 bedroom as one bedroom start at around $1k

Broadstone Scottsdale Horizon-Awful, this is from just viewing them and dealing with the people there. I don't know if it's changed but they offer high price for mediocre "luxury" apts. When I viewed one model it has a cockroach in it and seemed outdated for being N Sdale. Broadstone makes better properties, this one is not their concern

Ventana Luxury Apartments-Well I lived here for 2 years and loved it. It is probably the best deal around the 85260. The amount of sq ft you get for the $$ is great. Like any apt complex, really, the staff experience is a mixed bag. Good manager but staff has a high turnover. Maintenance was good for emergencies but when they changed the service did as well. They have 2 and 3 bedrooms and casitas too I think. It isn't pure luxury but for me, as a college grad and making a modest amount living alone, it was perfect for me. Like I said, the best bang for your buck. The other places around are very nice but tend to add on too much additional things they consider necessities that are not (CAMDEN).

I'd try to stick with places that are privately owned or through a smaller developer rather than cookie cutter divisions like Camden, Broadstone, etc

Have you considered the Alexan at Frank Lloud Wright or The Regents?

Vintage at Scottsdale-Don't know much about it but that it was out of my price range and always they thought they were nice driving past them :P

Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
I lived in Ventana for 2 years and have been in your shoes of apartment hunting and I can provide the best insight on Ventana and then I know some things about the others.

Villa Montana-Don't know much but they look nice with good access to FLW and Shea Blvd
Frank's on Shea-I always thought these were nice, more $$ than I could've afforded but good reviews
The Legend at Keirland-Also very nice and expensive but prob more for location than anything. Right in the center of Kierland. Prob won't get your 1k for 2 bedroom as one bedroom start at around $1k

Broadstone Scottsdale Horizon-Awful, this is from just viewing them and dealing with the people there. I don't know if it's changed but they offer high price for mediocre "luxury" apts. When I viewed one model it has a cockroach in it and seemed outdated for being N Sdale. Broadstone makes better properties, this one is not their concern

Ventana Luxury Apartments-Well I lived here for 2 years and loved it. It is probably the best deal around the 85260. The amount of sq ft you get for the $$ is great. Like any apt complex, really, the staff experience is a mixed bag. Good manager but staff has a high turnover. Maintenance was good for emergencies but when they changed the service did as well. They have 2 and 3 bedrooms and casitas too I think. It isn't pure luxury but for me, as a college grad and making a modest amount living alone, it was perfect for me. Like I said, the best bang for your buck. The other places around are very nice but tend to add on too much additional things they consider necessities that are not (CAMDEN).

I'd try to stick with places that are privately owned or through a smaller developer rather than cookie cutter divisions like Camden, Broadstone, etc

Have you considered the Alexan at Frank Lloud Wright or The Regents?

Vintage at Scottsdale-Don't know much about it but that it was out of my price range and always they thought they were nice driving past them :P
Thank you so much for this! This was really helpful! I looked at Alexan and Regents and they are out of my range.

Your review on Ventana matches apartment ratings. According to that site, things got bad for a while then turned around again recently. Hopefully that sticks! I'm not looking for pure luxury so much as I'm looking for clean, well maintained, decent construction.

My last complex experience here in St. Louis - the counters and paint were so cheap they couldn't be cleaned. I lived with the corpse of every spider I squished over the course of 10 years because the paint couldn't be washed. When the humidity got high, it transferred a bread label on to the counter. Lived with that for 10 years too. It was all I could afford at the time and it was just total garbage. I never should have stayed there as long as I did, but that's another story. So, basically, I'm hoping that it's relatively good construction (I understand regular apartment living noise, but I don't want to be able to hear the guy next door sneeze) and decent fixtures.

So, based on that, Ventana would be a good choice?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
See my DM. You don't need to be in Scottsdale to work there. Apts near Kierland will always be pricey. That's the Urban Center of Scottsdale (Scottsdale Quarter and all that.) Look a little further out and you may be surprised. You will need a car to live in the Phoenix area, so distance may turn out to not be a big deal.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
In Arizona we have apartment locators that are paid by the apartment complexes to match up tenants with available apartments and all fees are paid by the apartment management companies, They have lists of all the credit scores, pet requirements that apartments will accept and can save you a bundle in application fees.
I used to work as an apartment locator, it is a legit business that requires a realtor license.

https://www.google.com/#q=apartment+locators+phoenix+az

If you want a private condo use Craigslist and if you get lucky be prepared to jump on anything that is good because it will not last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area