Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM

480 posts, read 845,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Can't wait to take a selfie until your car is in park or at a stoplight at the very least? Is that how narcissistic we've gotten to where people now feel the need to take photos of their duck lipped face or their new sunglasses while driving? I guess this may seem like an innocent thing to most people until they have a family member killed or seriously injured by someone who wanted to post a selfie on Instagram. Oh well, it won't resonate with most until it directly happens to them or someone they know.
Uh.. hello? It was just a joke. I don't have an Instagram account, and I don't take selfies. I was completely stopped when I took the picture.

If someone taking a selfie injured you, your family, or anyone you know, I feel for your loss. That doesn't give you the right to be hostile for no good reason. Take out your anger on someone who might actually deserve it.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Anyone who thinks Phoenix area traffic is a breeze probably hasn't been on the I-10 parking lot during crush hour.

Here's an image of what traffic can really be like.

http://www.localcityagents.com/wp-co...-rush-hour.jpg

Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Anyone who thinks Phoenix area traffic is a breeze probably hasn't been on the I-10 parking lot during crush hour.

Here's an image of what traffic can really be like.

http://www.localcityagents.com/wp-co...-rush-hour.jpg
Big deal.

An area with more than 4 million people. Here's one from a city with 1.1 million. Now picture it in winter with the road covered in snow.

http://www.provedplusprobable.com/wp...7_ORIGINAL.jpg

Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Big deal.

An area with more than 4 million people. Here's one from a city with 1.1 million. Now picture it in winter with the road covered in snow.

http://www.provedplusprobable.com/wp...7_ORIGINAL.jpg
No comparison really.

That image shows a road with four lanes each way, that's narrow compared to most of the freeways in and around Phoenix.

As I posted previously, Phoenix should be compared with metropolitan areas more our size, roughly in the three to six million population category, not areas with 1.1 million and not 13,000,000 either.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:15 PM

498 posts, read 543,376 times
Quote:
No comparison really.

That image shows a road with four lanes each way, that's narrow compared to most of the freeways in and around Phoenix.

As I posted previously, Phoenix should be compared with metropolitan areas more our size, roughly in the three to six million population category, not areas with 1.1 million and not 13,000,000 either.
LOL why don't you give up? Phoenix is a cake walk compared to almost every major city in North America.

You still trying to argue that a company who monitors traffic movement around the world 24 hrs a day is wrong? LOL LOL LOL LOL

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Gridlock yesterday on I-10 westbound just after the I-17 merge. I'd been trucking all over the US for nearly 4 weeks, and I just wanted to get back to the terminal for my hometime!
Attached Thumbnails
The truth about Phoenix traffic congestion.-i10wb.jpg  

Old 04-18-2015, 10:24 AM

445 posts, read 515,507 times
Quote:
Phoenix is a cake walk compared to almost every major city in North America.
This is right on. Using the 3-6 million population range for the metro area, fair comparisons in terms of population would be Seattle, Detroit, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, and Philadelphia. I have spent a good deal of time in every one of those cities except Seattle and I can say hands down that every one of them have worse traffic than Phoenix. Rush hour in Phoenix sucks (especially on the 10), no doubt about that. But the difference between Phoenix and those other cities is that unless there is an accident, you can pretty much count on smooth sailing at any other time outside of rush hour. Not so in those other cities, especially the ones on the east coast. It really isn't that bad here folks.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If this website is around that long, it'll be interesting to come back in 2025 and hear of someone who commutes from Goodyear to South Chandler on the 202 South Mountain complaining about traffic.We all know that's exactly what's going to happen. The Valley is going to keep growing and ADOT will not have the money to keep building a freeway here or adding a lane there to keep up with demand.

Your argument about why ADOT can't widen the 202 is not falling on deaf ears. If you look at the ADOT long range transportation plan, there are no plans to widen the 202 between the Mini Stack and the 101 in the next 20 years. It was widened to the fullest extent deemed necessary and it's done for several decades. We live in a major metropolitan area, so rush hours backups on the freeway are to be expected. I'm sure this segment is a the top of your priority list because it's the backed up freeway that you find yourself stuck on the most. Someone who gets stuck on the 10 or the 60 might have the same complaint about their freeway section.

ADOT can't make money appear that isn't there. ADOT isn't responsible for your commuting patterns either. If you find traffic along your route that annoying, it may be time to move closer to work.
ADOT would have the money if they planned more accordingly & budgeted more prudently. Years after we voted to raise taxes to build a mass freeway system in 1985, only about half of that was completed, mainly due to what ADOT & MAG conveniently excused as "lack of funds". Of course, NIMBYs were also somewhat responsible for why the Paradise & South Mountain Freeways weren't built during the initial funding. But it was mainly ADOT & MAG and their mis management ... and not surprisingly, they're still using the same old tired out "lack of funding" excuse, even 11 years after we voted to extend the tax to build additional freeways & improve many of the existing ones. Little did anybody guess in 2004 that these "improvements" would include rubberized asphalt, blue exit signs displaying food & gas stations, and adding new lanes to less traveled routes.

It's a matter of setting priorities straight. What section of freeway do you think is more congested during rush hour: the 10/202 stretch between the 143 & the west Valley, or the 202 stretch in north Mesa? Obviously, the 10/202 section is the most congested of the two, but guess where ADOT's priorities are ... adding HOV lanes to the 202 north Mesa section, which isn't exactly a necessity compared to providing some relief on the 10 or 202 around the "mini stack".

The whole point is: while you claim ADOT doesn't have the money, they were actually granted the money by the voters TWICE. The westbound 10 and the Phoenix section of the 202 between the 143 & "mini stack" are screaming out for improvements, and you'll notice that it's not only me who is saying this. The widening of the 101 Scottsdale stretch might be needed, but was tearing down the decorative wall & building a new one really necessary? All these things involve time & money ... and while they may not be as costly or time consuming as freeway construction or maintenance, everything adds up, and all subtract from the funding that could have been used for less frivolous projects.

Incidentally, I live in east Phoenix and work in downtown Tempe, so I really don't live all that far from work. While I often commute back & forth during rush hour, I work a varied schedule plus extended hours as needed (not always the standard 8 to 5). I also found a different route that involves less freeway travel & more surface streets, and for the most part I avoid the 202 mess. So my complaints are not just about me and my personal commute ... I'm considering traffic in general and looking at the big picture.

Quote:
Traffic congestion in Los Angeles is far worse than Phoenix, I know because I've been there and know what it can be like, but the population of metropolitan Los Angeles is at least three times the size of metropolitan Phoenix so that makes a big difference.

If we must compare and compete with a California city, it should be someplace more our size like San Diego, not Los Angeles.
I agree 100%. San Diego is more comparable to Phoenix as far as city/metro size ... in fact, it's actually somewhat smaller than Phoenix, but the L.A. area is just plain huge. The funny thing is I have been to San Diego quite often, and for the most part their traffic is fairly light compared to Phoenix ... even during the summer when they have an influx of vacationers. The only bad traffic in San Diego I personally experienced was near the beaches, and once in a while around downtown & the airport. The San Diego area has a very intricate freeway network that is showing its age & not perfect, but they have more freeway miles than the Phoenix area does. That alone helps ease congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
Using the 3-6 million population range for the metro area, fair comparisons in terms of population would be Seattle, Detroit, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, and Philadelphia. I have spent a good deal of time in every one of those cities except Seattle and I can say hands down that every one of them have worse traffic than Phoenix. Rush hour in Phoenix sucks (especially on the 10), no doubt about that. But the difference between Phoenix and those other cities is that unless there is an accident, you can pretty much count on smooth sailing at any other time outside of rush hour. Not so in those other cities, especially the ones on the east coast. It really isn't that bad here folks.
Traffic in Phoenix SEEMS better than many of the places you mentioned, and that's largely because Phoenix doesn't have the bad weather & road conditions that many other metro areas do. We have no snow, no ice, no hurricanes, very little fog, and not much in the way of flash flooding. This makes a big difference. Also, many east coast cities have fewer freeways, and the ones they have tend to be narrow with limited lanes. You won't find the 12 laned freeways in Philadelphia or New York like you do here. That makes a big difference as well. For the most part, our freeways are in pretty good shape, so I'll credit ADOT for that. How do you like that ... I actually said something positive about ADOT! Are you paying attention, New2Colo?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:21 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
ADOT would have the money if they planned more accordingly & budgeted more prudently. Years after we voted to raise taxes to build a mass freeway system in 1985, only about half of that was completed, mainly due to what ADOT & MAG conveniently excused as "lack of funds". Of course, NIMBYs were also somewhat responsible for why the Paradise & South Mountain Freeways weren't built during the initial funding. But it was mainly ADOT & MAG and their mis management ... and not surprisingly, they're still using the same old tired out "lack of funding" excuse, even 11 years after we voted to extend the tax to build additional freeways & improve many of the existing ones. Little did anybody guess in 2004 that these "improvements" would include rubberized asphalt, blue exit signs displaying food & gas stations, and adding new lanes to less traveled routes.

It's a matter of setting priorities straight. What section of freeway do you think is more congested during rush hour: the 10/202 stretch between the 143 & the west Valley, or the 202 stretch in north Mesa? Obviously, the 10/202 section is the most congested of the two, but guess where ADOT's priorities are ... adding HOV lanes to the 202 north Mesa section, which isn't exactly a necessity compared to providing some relief on the 10 or 202 around the "mini stack".

The whole point is: while you claim ADOT doesn't have the money, they were actually granted the money by the voters TWICE. The westbound 10 and the Phoenix section of the 202 between the 143 & "mini stack" are screaming out for improvements, and you'll notice that it's not only me who is saying this. The widening of the 101 Scottsdale stretch might be needed, but was tearing down the decorative wall & building a new one really necessary? All these things involve time & money ... and while they may not be as costly or time consuming as freeway construction or maintenance, everything adds up, and all subtract from the funding that could have been used for less frivolous projects.

Incidentally, I live in east Phoenix and work in downtown Tempe, so I really don't live all that far from work. While I often commute back & forth during rush hour, I work a varied schedule plus extended hours as needed (not always the standard 8 to 5). I also found a different route that involves less freeway travel & more surface streets, and for the most part I avoid the 202 mess. So my complaints are not just about me and my personal commute ... I'm considering traffic in general and looking at the big picture.
Sorry, there was no mismanagement. I have asked you multiple time to produce evidence of this so called mismanagement and you have been unable to. It is pretty common for people to point fingers at their state DOTs when they think they should be doing more. The decorative wall on the 101 that you claim MAG and ADOT spent your tax dollars on? Paid for by the city of Scottsdale. Again, as someone who has actually lived in other places and experienced how terrible congestion and pavement quality can get, I stand by my assertion that ADOT, for the most part, does a great job. I will again ask you to produce evidence of this mismanagement instead of giving me some excuse about why it doesn't exist. I will now also ask you to provide documentation where MAG agreed to widen the 202 Red Mountain Freeway continuously until traffic was no longer congested.

If ADOT shifted priority from some other projects they have going on to the stretch of the 202 that you continuously gripe about, they would be able to widen the 202. However, other projects took precedent. That section of the 202 is not the only freeway segment in the Valley. MAG is a regional agency and therefore has a responsibility to voters to allocate the money regionally. With all the other projects going on, there is not enough money to cover everything. I'm not sure why this fact is so hard to understand. Also, I don't remember the sales tax voters approved putting ADOT under contract to widen freeways to no limits. The 202 got built with those funds that MAG and ADOT supposedly mismanaged. Now you're upset because it's not wide enough for you to fly down the freeway at 75 MPH at 5 PM on a Wednesday. Personally, I don't routinely use ANY of the freeway segments that ADOT/MAG are improving now. I sit in congestion understanding that I live in a city with 4.5 million people, many of whom work similar hours to me.

If you are so perturbed by your perception of ADOT's priorities, you and your neighbors can march down to ADOT and MAG during their public hearings on the schedule of projects and voice your concerns. You can even start yelling about their alleged mismanagement of funds. Until you do that, your really complaining for the sake of complaining. It's akin to people who don't vote and then complain about the politicians representing them in office. You can state the same thing over and over, but it doesn't change reality. I really can't think of other ways to explain the concept of a budget and priorities, especially to someone who doesn't really care about actual facts.

Your small city is gone. Phoenix is with the big boys now. We will have traffic problems that aren't going to get any better no matter what ADOT does. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
How do you like that ... I actually said something positive about ADOT! Are you paying attention, New2Colo?
Didn't know you had it in you.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:02 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
No comparison really.

Most of Phoenix's freeways are only four lanes in each direction. The exceptions are small part of the Red Mountain 202, the 60, and the 10 excluding portions of the East Valley. If you don't count the HOV lane, most of Phoenix's freeway would then only be three lanes in each direction.

Just give it up. No one is buying into this "crush hour" theory of yours. Phoenix's traffic is not as bad as similar sized cities.

Quote:
LOL why don't you give up? Phoenix is a cake walk compared to almost every major city in North America.

You still trying to argue that a company who monitors traffic movement around the world 24 hrs a day is wrong? LOL LOL LOL LOL
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Gridlock yesterday on I-10 westbound just after the I-17 merge. I'd been trucking all over the US for nearly 4 weeks, and I just wanted to get back to the terminal for my hometime!
Oh joy! Another person snapping a pic while driving. This time it appears to be from a big rig around where a lane comes to an end. This still doesn't tell me that Phoenix has a traffic issue. It's slow traffic on a weekday afternoon. Big whoop. It might be faster if people stopped with the photoshoots. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area