Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:32 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
PoppySead was responding to someone who claimed that he and 35 others were going at least 85 on the 101. You claim that you were going 73. There's a big difference. You were still breaking the law, but it is far more dangerous to go 85 as opposed to 73. Additionally, whether you're driving in a "safe" manner or not is completely subjective. Just because you don't cause a wreck doesn't mean you are being safe. If you need to swerve due to some unforeseen circumstance, the probability that you will regain control of your car is a lot greater at 45 MPH versus 80 MPH. That's a fact.

You claim that it is someone's right to run up the road at 100 MPH, but it is unacceptable for slower traffic to not move to the right for said maniac. Really?
bolded; that applies to people going slower as well

underlined; a fact and a pointless, irrelevant one at that.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hubris has a way of catching up with people eventually.

You may think you are capable of driving faster than the speed limit safely - until something happens that you did not anticipate, like a blowout from road debris you could not see in time to avoid.

Tire Blowout on Highway Causes Rollover Crash | Dash Cam Accidents

Here in GA you have about a 10 MPH cushion on the interstate before you will get pulled over, so 73 in a 65 zone is probably safe as long as you are not weaving in and out of traffic or tailgating.

The situation that most people do not like is the impatient driver who thinks the left lane belongs to him alone for his personal use for speeding, so he tailgates someone who is doing at or above the speed of vehicles to his right. The appropriate response is to slow down, not tailgate, not flash your lights, not honk your horn, and let the vehicle(s) in front of you move over when they have the ability to do so. Please also give them a few seconds to do that, rather than moving immediately into the lane that they need to move over and passing them on the right. Be aware that many of us like more than one car length of space into which to change lanes.
why are you commenting in this thread?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
One thing I notice in all of these pages of discussion... "most" of the people who prefer to drive fast and wish that the freeways worked as designed (i.e., faster traffic on the left, slower traffic on the right) claim that they will move over when someone faster approaches, and they're fine with slower drivers using the road as long as they keep somewhat right so the faster traffic can pass.

In other words, the "fast in the left lane" crowd seems to be fine with everyone driving their own pace, providing they keep to the appropriate lanes so others can do the same.

On the other hand, "most" of the people who don't find anything wrong with going exactly 65 mph in the far left or HOV lanes when traffic can clearly move much faster seem to feel that people who want to go faster should either 1) not go faster, or 2) find some other way or place to do it, because they're not moving out of the fast lane - it's their right.

In other words, the "no faster than me" crowd seems to think there's nothing wrong with forcing their driving pace on everyone on the freeway, because they clearly know what's better for the masses than anyone else does.

Almost sounds like the speeders are libertarians and everyone else belongs to one of the far right or far left spectrums and feels that their views should be enforced on everyone.
thank you

Old 05-10-2015, 02:46 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
why are you commenting in this thread?
Because I can. Why do you ask?

Old 05-10-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Because I can. Why do you ask?
because road conditions and cultures can and do vary from state to state and if you live in Georgia you are nowhere near this one.

Have you ever been here?

Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,754 times
Quote:
bolded; that applies to people going slower as well

underlined; a fact and a pointless, irrelevant one at that.
Still up to it? Please explain me how it's harder to regain control of your car going at a slow speed? Try regaining control of your car going down a snow covered road at 5 MPH of versus going 75 MPH down that same road. Slow drivers are the safe ones. It the conflict with the speeders that cause all the problems.

Bottom line: people aren't going to get out of the HOV lane to accommodate you. Get over it. Move on. If you feel this passionately about it, buy advertising space on a billboard.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
because road conditions and cultures can and do vary from state to state and if you live in Georgia you are nowhere near this one.

Have you ever been here?
Yes.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Still up to it? Please explain me how it's harder to regain control of your car going at a slow speed? Try regaining control of your car going down a snow covered road at 5 MPH of versus going 75 MPH down that same road. Slow drivers are the safe ones. It the conflict with the speeders that cause all the problems.

Bottom line: people aren't going to get out of the HOV lane to accommodate you. Get over it. Move on. If you feel this passionately about it, buy advertising space on a billboard.
the bolded part---I agreed, please read my post. It has not been edited.

sounds like we should ban cars altogether. Please read the post above, I did not disagree, I agreed, and to take it further...is everything not safer at 10 mph vs. 20 mph? Let's lower it all to 10 mph. From there we can go to 5 mph.

I have driven in plenty of snow...WHEN I LIVED IN WISCONSIN BEFORE I MOVED HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY ARE YOU YAPPING IN A PHOENIX DRIVING THREAD AND BRINGING UP SNOWY CONDITIONS?????

DRUUUUGGGGSSSSS AAAAAARRRREEEEEE BBBBBAAAAADDDDDD MMMMMMGGGGGAAAAYYYYY????!!!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Yes.
care to elaborate? Do you live here part time? Have you ever driven here? Have you driven here since 1971?

If you had anything meaningful to add to this conversation about driving conditions in Phoenix during non-rush hour times it probably would have come somewhere in your post before...

"Here in GA..."

I'll call you when I want to go noodling for catfish, 'til then peace out.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:23 AM

oh man!

it might snow here in Phoenix tonight, oh crap!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area