Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
K thx for the heads up. 130 was dumb but it was a road with no one for miles. It was fun though, would've gone to 150+ if the road wasn't in such poor shape.
Take the car to a racetrack. You had no way of knowing who might have popped up out of a side road or driveway with no chance of seeing you coming at that speed, or of predicting that an animal might dart into the road.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:05 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Take the car to a racetrack. You had no way of knowing who might have popped up out of a side road or driveway with no chance of seeing you coming at that speed, or of predicting that an animal might dart into the road.
Well there was no one for miles and no roads entering the road and this is the desolate desert not a forest, I could see if there were any cars anywhere. But yeah I admitted it was dumb. 15 seconds of fun then get back down to a safe 85

Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 PM

82 posts, read 173,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Says the guy who admitted to going 130 on a rural tribal road.... 85 is criminal speeding. 90 percent of the drivers on the freeway are going nowhere near 85 MPH.
If 85 is criminal speeding, I just ran into about 35 criminals on the 101 in less than a 15 minute drive...Including myself What would you consider the 10-15 people who made 85 look like it was 50? second thought, nevamind...

Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yes. I do not speed up however if I feel it is a high risk area that could result in a ticket or accident. When I see them approaching I put my turn signal on get over, then get right back in my lane. People do the same with me many times and I give them a wave. Most people do not speed for either fear of a ticket or for being pre-occupied with something else (talking to kids, on the phone, eating, shaving, watching movies, etc), not necessarily that it is unsafe to speed. I really am shocked that some think 85 is blistering speed, it's very common on the highways in non-rush hour times.
So the other guy's not wanted to be impeded trumps your not wanted to be impeded (remember, you were passing some other people when this came up and you will have to slow down) simply because the other guy wants to exceed the speed limit by more than the amount you want to exceed it by. Doesn't make sense to me. I never sit out in the left lane when there is no reason to be there but I don't feel like I have to get out of your way -- while I am in the midst of passing someone -- simply because you want to go faster. You can wait until I am done passing.

You might not think of 85 as blistering speed but state law considers 86 a crime with a jail sentence, whether or not you are shocked by the idea.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
So the other guy's not wanted to be impeded trumps your not wanted to be impeded (remember, you were passing some other people when this came up and you will have to slow down) simply because the other guy wants to exceed the speed limit by more than the amount you want to exceed it by. Doesn't make sense to me. I never sit out in the left lane when there is no reason to be there but I don't feel like I have to get out of your way -- while I am in the midst of passing someone -- simply because you want to go faster. You can wait until I am done passing.

You might not think of 85 as blistering speed but state law considers 86 a crime with a jail sentence, whether or not you are shocked by the idea.
Huh? Having trouble making sense of the first paragraph but I get out of the way if someone is coming up behind me faster, either by speeding up or slowing down and getting over I am aware of the State law, that's why I try to slow down when police are around, don't need a lecture from one of the left lane clogging brigade. 2 tickets and 2 warnings in 24 years of driving, that's the cost of doing business.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijamez View Post
If 85 is criminal speeding, I just ran into about 35 criminals on the 101 in less than a 15 minute drive...Including myself What would you consider the 10-15 people who made 85 look like it was 50? second thought, nevamind...
Further evidence that "rush hour" here is a joke. Try going 85 down the 101 in LA at 4 on a Tuesday. Also, further proof that no one seems to believe that the law applies to them. It applies to everyone else. Why should people move right for faster traffic when other drivers think it's their right to go 85+ on an it a freeway and brag about wanting to go 150 MPH on a two lane tribal roadway? This thread has made me almost grateful to have people going at or near the speed limit in all lanes of the freeway at most times of day, just to slow people down. The State got rid of the freeway cameras that kept most people in check, enforcement here is very low, so I guess the next best thing is to have moving roadblocks. Luckily, I take a route where people simply cannot speed because of the numbers of cars that will aimlessly drift in front of the speeders and people who refuse to yield.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Further evidence that "rush hour" here is a joke. Try going 85 down the 101 in LA at 4 on a Tuesday. Also, further proof that no one seems to believe that the law applies to them. It applies to everyone else. Why should people move right for faster traffic when other drivers think it's their right to go 85+ on an it a freeway and brag about wanting to go 150 MPH on a two lane tribal roadway? This thread has made me almost grateful to have people going at or near the speed limit in all lanes of the freeway at most times of day, just to slow people down. The State got rid of the freeway cameras that kept most people in check, enforcement here is very low, so I guess the next best thing is to have moving roadblocks. Luckily, I take a route where people simply cannot speed because of the numbers of cars that will aimlessly drift in front of the speeders and people who refuse to yield.
Luckily for me rush hour does not exist in my world and I do not have to deal with selfish "moving roadblock I own the road" drivers such as yourself. Anyway have fun in rush hour

Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM

281 posts, read 368,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Why am I seeing Priuses on the inner lanes during peak hours??
At one point they could get the alternative fuel plates, or whatever they're officially called. Said plate allows you to use the HOV lane, carpool or not. Now I believe you need to have a plug-in hybrid or full electric car to get one, but if you've already got one you're good.

However, I think a rumor has started that "if I have a Prius I can drive in the HOV lane" which, by itself, isn't true.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
At one point they could get the alternative fuel plates, or whatever they're officially called. Said plate allows you to use the HOV lane, carpool or not. Now I believe you need to have a plug-in hybrid or full electric car to get one, but if you've already got one you're good.

However, I think a rumor has started that "if I have a Prius I can drive in the HOV lane" which, by itself, isn't true.
Thanks for the enlightenment!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM

82 posts, read 173,548 times
If everyone just appreciated and followed the most basic of driving etiquette, the roads would be much safer...Right lane is for everyone and the left is for people going faster than everyone...If someone wants to go faster than you and you recognize that, move over...It really is that simple...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area