Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 05:06 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,990,492 times

Advertisements

Flipping the bird to another driver might just get you shot here in Ca.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Weird, I can clearly see where you said that you were taught that it's your duty to give someone "the bird" if they don't move out of your way. Maybe you should have added a part saying that you don't advocate those sorts of behaviors instead of leaving it up to others to try and figure out.

Anyway, there are never "literally" miles of empty road ahead on freeways here. If there are, patiently wait to pass the person sitting in HOV and go about your business. While you're getting all upset, they're just cruising. The fact that you're now trying to back pedal and claim that you're not even the guy who is trying to pass makes this argument even more strange. What do you care about someone who is driving slow two or three lanes over from you? Sounds like you just want to patrol traffic and control everyone's behavior around you.

If my loved one and I are killed by another driver while driving down a road minding our business, that would be tragic. It would also not be our fault. The other driving would be charged with vehicular homicide and pay for their actions. In response to your odd scenario... I can't control how others act on the road. I'm not causing road rage. People are choosing to get angry and flip me off. I am not responsible for your behavior. You are. If you cause me to lose a leg because you cut me off and cause an accident, I will not be at fault. You will pay for my car to get repaired, you will get sued for the cost of my care, and your insurance rates will go up. That's just a fact. I will not be be partially responsible at all. Don't be obtuse.
I said that I was taught/told to do that, not that I actually do it or think it's a good idea.

The bolded part--yes there are. You can see for miles on the 101 and parts of the 60 if you are in a vehicle high enough to see what's in front of you. Literally. Miles. The open road ahead is because nobody can get passed the cluster.

Not back pedaling at all. I am sometimes the guy in the lane trying to get by, I am sometimes in the middle lane in preparation to exit. Sometimes in the process of getting on and off the freeway I am in the far right lane as well. Crazy, right? Regardless of what lane I'm in, an accident caused by congestion, road rage, whatever can affect me. I just don't want there to be an accident.

In the last paragraph, yes you are 100% correct about the law, insurance, etc etc. It's the part about personal responsibility where we disagree. If you are doing something stupid (legal, but stupid), and already know from previous experiences that the outcome will be road rage, dangerous driving by several other drivers at a high rate of speed, other irrational behavior...then you are partially to blame. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Culpability is the word. If you KNEW others would react dangerously to your behavior, endangering themselves and you, and there was an accident, you would have some moral culpability in that. You didn't KNOW what you were doing would cause an accident, but you KNEW what it would provoke others into.

Why don't you just move over?

Old 04-17-2015, 05:35 PM

498 posts, read 544,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Usually snowbirds or Prius drivers (staring at their MPG indicator) in my experience.

Didn't take you long to blame the snowbirds.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:50 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I said that I was taught/told to do that, not that I actually do it or think it's a good idea.

The bolded part--yes there are. You can see for miles on the 101 and parts of the 60 if you are in a vehicle high enough to see what's in front of you. Literally. Miles. The open road ahead is because nobody can get passed the cluster.

Not back pedaling at all. I am sometimes the guy in the lane trying to get by, I am sometimes in the middle lane in preparation to exit. Sometimes in the process of getting on and off the freeway I am in the far right lane as well. Crazy, right? Regardless of what lane I'm in, an accident caused by congestion, road rage, whatever can affect me. I just don't want there to be an accident.

In the last paragraph, yes you are 100% correct about the law, insurance, etc etc. It's the part about personal responsibility where we disagree. If you are doing something stupid (legal, but stupid), and already know from previous experiences that the outcome will be road rage, dangerous driving by several other drivers at a high rate of speed, other irrational behavior...then you are partially to blame. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Culpability is the word. If you KNEW others would react dangerously to your behavior, endangering themselves and you, and there was an accident, you would have some moral culpability in that. You didn't KNOW what you were doing would cause an accident, but you KNEW what it would provoke others into.

Why don't you just move over?
Again, I didn't see that part where you derided the idea of using those tactics to show other your displeasure with their actions. I'm commend you for now engaging in that behavior because it ends up doing more harm to you. I truly don't know what kind of vehicle gives you the clearance to see miles ahead, nor will I agree that any freeway here is deserted for miles ahead outside of maybe 3 in the morning.

No one wants to be in an accident. You do what you can to control your driving and realize that you can't change what other people are doing. You are not a highway patrol officer. People here are going to continue to do whatever they please and there is nothing you can do about it. Should you have to pass on the right? No. Should people cut you off? No. Should you be tailgated? No. It happens. Move on.

You keep trying to pen road rage on other people's actions, instead of realizing that rage is a choice by the person getting angry. If you cut me off, I can choose to slam on my brakes and let it go, or chase you down and cause all sorts of mayhem in the process. I choose the former. If more people chose the former, the roads would be a lot safer.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
I'm waiting for a new thread to start, or perhaps this one to morph into the other deep "problem" that faces humanity and that's "get that damn ball off of my front yard!".

Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Quote:
Slow drivers get out of the HOV Lane!!!!!!!
"Oh, the humanity and all the passengers screaming around here. I told you, I can't even talk to people whose friends are on there. Ah! It's–it's–it's–it's ... o–ohhh! I–I can't talk, ladies and gentlemen..."

Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Again, I didn't see that part where you derided the idea of using those tactics to show other your displeasure with their actions. I'm commend you for now engaging in that behavior because it ends up doing more harm to you. I truly don't know what kind of vehicle gives you the clearance to see miles ahead, nor will I agree that any freeway here is deserted for miles ahead outside of maybe 3 in the morning.

No one wants to be in an accident. You do what you can to control your driving and realize that you can't change what other people are doing. You are not a highway patrol officer. People here are going to continue to do whatever they please and there is nothing you can do about it. Should you have to pass on the right? No. Should people cut you off? No. Should you be tailgated? No. It happens. Move on.

You keep trying to pen road rage on other people's actions, instead of realizing that rage is a choice by the person getting angry. If you cut me off, I can choose to slam on my brakes and let it go, or chase you down and cause all sorts of mayhem in the process. I choose the former. If more people chose the former, the roads would be a lot safer.
This isn't a thread about road rage, it's about whether or not people look at the HOV lane in non-rush hour as a fast lane. You keep talking about road rage---people trying to get around a slow driver is not road rage, it's just...people trying to get around a slow driver. That's it, that's all.

the bolded part--You certainly can influence what others do. Not always, but sometimes. Is driving slowly in the HOV lane during non-peak hours going to influence what other drivers do as they get near you? Absolutely! You are the action and they are the reaction ( a known reaction at that). Your action causes an unsafe situation to develop.

If there are 3 lanes of traffic, one going 60, one going 70 and one going 80, why do you insist on doing 60 or 70 in the lane where everyone is going 80?

Again, why not just move over?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
This isn't a thread about road rage, it's about whether or not people look at the HOV lane in non-rush hour as a fast lane. You keep talking about road rage---people trying to get around a slow driver is not road rage, it's just...people trying to get around a slow driver. That's it, that's all.

the bolded part--You certainly can influence what others do. Not always, but sometimes. Is driving slowly in the HOV lane during non-peak hours going to influence what other drivers do as they get near you? Absolutely! You are the action and they are the reaction ( a known reaction at that). Your action causes an unsafe situation to develop.

If there are 3 lanes of traffic, one going 60, one going 70 and one going 80, why do you insist on doing 60 or 70 in the lane where everyone is going 80?

Again, why not just move over?
In a perfect world everyone would obey traffic rules, drive defensively, stay in the appropriate lanes, and operate within a reasonable-prudent speed range.

The world isn't perfect though, and the slow solo driver in the diamond lane isn't going to get the hint even as much as other drivers tailgate and swerve around him.

The best thing to do is realize he's a knucklehead, go around him if you can, and be on your way.

I really don't know what the police can do about this problem, they usually have more pressing matters to attend to besides traffic annoyances.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
There is no fast lane, only in ones mind. I assume you are talking about the passing lane on the left. Now if you have a trailer you're pulling or a uhaul then yes, please stay to the right for safety reasons but I am assuming by your post you mean the people sticking to the limit.

If you don't go the speed limit, no lane on the freeway will get you out of a ticket. Someone going the speed limit in the left lane has every right to do so. If you're speeding it's up to you to weave your way through all the cars annoying you who are going the speed limit. It's not up to them to all move out of your way so you can have a the freedom to go over the limit.
This "fast" lane myth can be googled over and over again. There is no "free to go over the speed limit" lane, and nobody is required to move over for that jackass pulling up tooo fast behind you thinking it's the Phoenixbon. Speed at your own convenience.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
Didn't take you long to blame the snowbirds.
Truth hurts sometimes. You gonna get all worked up over it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area