Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,025,371 times

Advertisements

Well I'd be considered a slow driver here, 68 tops maybe. But that's what happens when you drive a Grand Marquis. The ride is SO smooth and nice, that bench seat is like a sofa on wheels, and you just want to savor the ride! I've been driving for 26 years, never had one accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post

I would hazard a guess that slow drivers on the interstate cause more wrecks than speeders...!

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels. First of all, speed limits are not absolute. In Arizona and most other states, the speed limit law is prima facie, which basically means reasonable & prudent. You know as well as I do that cops will not pull you over just for going a few MPH over the posted speed limit, or for driving fast in the left lane. Hell, I've been in the left lane driving at least 10 MPH over (with the flow of traffic I might add), and whizzed right by a cop car who didn't pull me over. Cops are mainly looking for drunk drivers, aggressive maniacs, and those who drive excessively over the limit (such as 90 MPH in a 65 zone).

Also, your comment about a person driving the speed limit in the left lane "has every right to do so" is incorrect. Driving is a privilege, not a right ... therefore, driving the speed limit in the left lane is NOT a right. Nothing about operating a vehicle is a right. More than likely, the person driving the speed limit in the left lane is going slower than the general flow, and therefore is impeding the flow, which is ILLEGAL. Do you not understand the state law about slower traffic keeping right?

Arizona Revised Statutes §28-721**Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions :: Title 28 - Transportation :: 2005 Arizona Revised Statutes :: Arizona Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

This is what the law states about keeping to the right:
I repeat VN, there is no "fast land" the only thing special about the left lane is you are to pass on the left, not right. You can't go below the limit in the left lane, you can get a ticket for going below the limit in the left lane. You can't get a ticket for going the speed limit just because someone behind you wants to go faster.
If you are going fast that doesn't mean you can clog up the left lane. It's a passing lane, you can pass and then you are suppose to move back over to the other lane. It's for passing.

Going slower than the posted speed for vehicles such as motorhomes, or people pulling a trailer are to stay to the right to not impede traffic by going SLOWER than the speed limit. All others are still expected to go the POSTED limit. This is not open for opinion, it's clearly stated.

Where is the proof you can go over the limit by 5 to 10 miles when you use the fast lane for distance driving? You can pass a car, and you might temp a high speed but when you are done you are suppose to get back over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQxMtpaVmI

This one will make you happy...but remember it's only for those who go under the limit in the left lane for a period of time longer than passing another car. So, don't get too excited. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qr6WrnrgjE
Try getting it here.
Just remember it doesn't mean going the speed limit though, you can hold up speeders while going the limit posted all you want. But, I agree all should use the left lane as a passing lane, that is what it's for, even if you like going over the speed limit. You shouldn't stay looming in the left lane for any reason.
Now rush hour is it's own ball of wax.

I

Last edited by PoppySead; 04-19-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
[quote=jaredC;39280354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels. First of all, speed limits are not absolute. In Arizona and most other states, the speed limit law is prima facie, which basically means reasonable & prudent. You know as well as I do that cops will not pull you over just for going a few MPH over the posted speed limit, or for driving fast in the left lane. Hell, I've been in the left lane driving at least 10 MPH over (with the flow of traffic I might add), and whizzed right by a cop car who didn't pull me over. Cops are mainly looking for drunk drivers, aggressive maniacs, and those who drive excessively over the limit (such as 90 MPH in a 65 zone).

I don't know about this ^^

A few years ago I was coming back from Tucson. I hit 81, in a 75 and was pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Went to driving school and paid like $200 for the class. So now I'm very cautious about going above the 5+ mph over the limit. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Here's the thing;its not an exact science. The enforcement of speed is completely up to the individual officers discretion. If he wants to pull you over on a Monday for going over the limit by 2 mph, so be it. Then on Tuesday he doesn't bat an eye at speeders going 7-9mph over. We are all at the mercy of discretion. And, just to get to work a few minutes sooner at the risk of receiving a ticket, paying a fine and missing a day at work to attend a driving class, just doesn't seem worth it.

However, I'm in the group of drivers that go 4-5 mph over, unless its a school/construction zone. I'm not going to go 65 in a 65.
4 to 5 miles over is reasonable. It's hard to go the exact number all the time. In either case a cop will keep an eye on someone going over the limit and under it to see if they correct it eventually. If it goes on for a bit then they can get a ticket.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:21 PM

9,778 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You guys can continue to try to justify blocking the flow of traffic, which leads to dangerous congestion, all you want. Do you do so to prove a point? I just can't fathom why anyone that wants to travel slower than the flow of traffic would drive in the far left lane knowing that they are impeding others. Any yes, the flow of traffic is typically above the speed limit.
I can.

Let's say the HOV is going 5-10 over the posted while all the other lanes are going 40-45 mph. You have to watch out for some dip sh_t who is going to do a fast lane change into the HOV at the last minute. I remember some physics formulas. KE = 0.5 • m • v2 (the formula for kinetic energy). Pay very close attention to velocity squared. There is a lot more energy at 75 MPH versus 65 or about 34% more energy to mess you up. I also understand reaction time distances (fps=1.467 * MPH). That's when I'm one of those guys who go closer to the posted limit (HOV rush hour when the other lanes are going far under).

Look at the bright side. It's going to cost you another 2 minutes a day to get home safely. Option 2 is for someone to get in an accident and finish clogging up the traffic for miles so that you are late by an extra hour. Which is the bigger problem?

I've found that the idiots drivers (on average) are younger drivers that ride peoples rear-ends, get in accidents, and clog up traffic. Follow the statistics: that's why actuaries price their insurance higher.

Here is when people put words in my mouth. I'm not saying go under the speed limit (yea, I speed a little). Nor am I saying it's someones God given right to go only the speed limit ESPECIALLY in the fast lane. In rush hour (which I dodge like the plague) and if traffic is flowing, I'm delighted to go at the posted and get the Hell out of the left lane. I like to eat popcorn watching the idiots blow by me weaving in and out of traffic and HOPING for a cop to pull them over.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 04-19-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM

47 posts, read 66,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I can.

Let's say the HOV is going 5-10 over the posted while all the other lanes are going 40-45 mph. You have to watch out for some dip sh_t who is going to do a fast lane change into the HOV at the last minute. I remember some physics formulas. KE = 0.5 • m • v2 (the formula for kinetic energy). Pay very close attention to velocity squared. There is a lot more energy at 75 MPH versus 65 or about 34% more energy to mess you up. I also understand reaction time distances (fps=1.467 * MPH). That's when I'm one of those guys who go closer to the posted limit (HOV rush hour when the other lanes are going far under).

Look at the bright side. It's going to cost you another 2 minutes a day to get home safely. Option 2 is for someone to get in an accident and finish clogging up the traffic for miles so that you are late by an extra hour. Which is the bigger problem?

I've found that the idiots drivers (on average) are younger drivers that ride peoples rear-ends, get in accidents, and clog up traffic. Follow the statistics: that's why actuaries price their insurance higher.

Here is when people put words in my mouth. I'm not saying go under the speed limit (yea, I speed a little). Nor am I saying it's someones God given right to go only the speed limit ESPECIALLY in the fast lane. In rush hour (which I dodge like the plague) and if traffic is flowing, I'm delighted to go at the posted and get the Hell out of the left lane. I like to eat popcorn watching the idiots blow by me weaving in and out of traffic and HOPING for a cop to pull them over.
The OP is specifically talking about when it is NOT rush hour. Rush hour is it's own beast....

Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,378,094 times
not unusual to have a cop setting the pace at 70 or 75 in a 65 out here. fine with me.

Maybe I see a unique aspect of this as I do a LOT of my driving on the east section of the 101. Scottsdale---lots of people with fast cars and more money than brain cells. Usually in their 40's at least driving the sports car. Crazy 4 lane changes in one sweep at 90 w/no blinkers. Money and tickets don't matter to those people.

As far as "what do I care if I'm in the far right lane and someone in the HOV is going slow jamming up traffic?" Are you nuts? I'm in the same cluster of vehicles where now everyone is going to doing anything they can to get around the slow person. Dangerous for all of us.

EDIT: NewtoColo--have you never been in/witnessed a terrible car crash?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM

9,778 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchambers13 View Post
The OP is specifically talking about when it is NOT rush hour. Rush hour is it's own beast....
Correct. The OP did say that. My post was responding to another person who couldn't understand why people don't go with the flow. At least some people in all towns love to ride peoples arses. They want you to GTF out of their way as if they own the road... Rush hour or not.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,631,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
not unusual to have a cop setting the pace at 70 or 75 in a 65 out here. fine with me.

Maybe I see a unique aspect of this as I do a LOT of my driving on the east section of the 101. Scottsdale---lots of people with fast cars and more money than brain cells. Usually in their 40's at least driving the sports car. Crazy 4 lane changes in one sweep at 90 w/no blinkers. Money and tickets don't matter to those people.

As far as "what do I care if I'm in the far right lane and someone in the HOV is going slow jamming up traffic?" Are you nuts? I'm in the same cluster of vehicles where now everyone is going to doing anything they can to get around the slow person. Dangerous for all of us.

EDIT: NewtoColo--have you never been in/witnessed a terrible car crash?
Most people are not going to move out of the HOV lane for you. Give it up. You're trying to argue a point that's not worth arguing. As with any driving situation, you adapt to conditions. Ideally, traffic would flow in an organized manner without speed demons doing 90, without people weaving in an out of traffic, and without people getting cut off. Conditions are not ideal. You drive and adjust accordingly. Maybe you should stick to surface streets or just take the bus.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 PM

45 posts, read 123,707 times
This whole discussion is why I chose somewhere to live where I wouldn't have to take a freeway to work. It's all surface streets for me and only 15-20 minutes for my commute. I know that's not always an option for everyone, but when it's possible, it's a great decision.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 344,887 times
Funny how you all will b-i-t-c-h about slow drivers but I bet most of you will slow down and drift out of the lane to look at your damn phone. I see it all the time, someone flys by me at 80+ just to be passed up a few miles later while they have the phone in the hand like their genitalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area