Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM

357 posts, read 711,601 times

Advertisements

I bought a house recently with two gorgeous saguaros in the backyard. I don't know a ton about saugaros but I estimate them based on the wall height to be close to 30 feet high. My concern is with the one specifically that's leaning, very brown/gray on the bottom, and has a big hole in the side. The other one (or two I guess, close together) is still blooming and relatively straight but still looks like it may not be very healthy at the base. The leaning one I haven't seen bloom but we moved into this place in May so may have missed it. I can't tell if it's dead or not...

1. Am I in danger of the leaning one falling? Can it be secured by a professional somehow?
2. Is there a resource I can speak to about making sure these stay up and as healthy as possible?

From my research it sounds like these could easily be 150 years old, and selfishly really make my backyard , so I'd like to keep these around as long as possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Saguaros leaning over and brown towards bottom - Help?-20150806_094552.jpg   Huge Saguaros leaning over and brown towards bottom - Help?-20150806_094652.jpg   Huge Saguaros leaning over and brown towards bottom - Help?-20150806_094716.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
I bought a house recently with two gorgeous saguaros in the backyard. I don't know a ton about saugaros but I estimate them based on the wall height to be close to 30 feet high. My concern is with the one specifically that's leaning, very brown/gray on the bottom, and has a big hole in the side. The other one (or two I guess, close together) is still blooming and relatively straight but still looks like it may not be very healthy at the base. The leaning one I haven't seen bloom but we moved into this place in May so may have missed it. I can't tell if it's dead or not...

1. Am I in danger of the leaning one falling? Can it be secured by a professional somehow?
2. Is there a resource I can speak to about making sure these stay up and as healthy as possible?

From my research it sounds like these could easily be 150 years old, and selfishly really make my backyard , so I'd like to keep these around as long as possible!
Try this website:

cactus doctor, cactus care, The Cactus Doctor sick cactus Phoenix Arizona, healthy cactus, water conservation plants

Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 PM

129 posts, read 186,915 times
I've noticed, during our time in Sun City, that Saguaro can look like there is nothing left of their trunk, but still seem to be healthy. Some flower every year, some don't. Yours look healthy and don't seem to be leaning that much imho. I have seen saguaro that have cables for support. The sagauro in our landscaping probably isn't as old as a comparable one in the desert. They usually send out their roots to search for a water source. Mine had its roots into our citrus tree's water, 20 feet away. A steady water supply made it one plump saguaro, indeed. A far cry from the thin ones in the desert. I'm sure that they grow faster with a steady water supply, although they could suffer from too much. They can do just fine in the desert, though, too. That's where they belong.
Hope this helps you.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:16 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Your saguaros are suffering old age like we people. They are very mature and changes like the discoloration of gray and bird holes is normal. Now if you start seeing black gooey stuff oozing from the plant(s) then you have a diseased situation (bacterial necrosis) and that means the demise of the cacti.
Saguaros rarely if at all should be watered by your irrigation system. They are ribbed for natural expansion and contraction when the natural rains come. Overwatering is the #1 killer of saguaros and other cacti. Sure they will plump up and look fat and maybe attractive, but soon they will rot from the inside collapse and then you'll have a dead plant.
As far as leaning, they are top heavy and those replants are usually are not planted deeply enough when 1st planted. You may want to call a professional cactus mover (google or yellow pages) to take a look and see if they need to be straightened. In many cases leaning sauaros have to be dug up and re-planted deeper.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 AM

129 posts, read 186,915 times
So if your Saguaro is feeding from a water source 20 feet away, you should remove it's roots there? It's 20 feet high, looks very healthy and blooms every year.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 AM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Honestly, they look fine to me... When you said "leaning" I was expecting much worse. Look out in nature sometime; a lot of times the mature ones don't have the most aesthetically pleasing bases. As a side-note, I notice that saguaro seem to look greener and nicer down south near the Saguaro national monument, but maybe that's why it's a national monument!

I'm not sure why somebody would have put those rocks (not the gravel) at the base, but it probably doesn't hurt anything.

For how mature they are, I would water them NEVER, outside of natural rainfall. I would also do what you can to make sure it's not getting drip irrigation from nearby plants, but I suppose it's impossible to tell for sure.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
Looks totally normal to me. If the arms grow plumb, then the plant is attempting to counter-balance (that is, correct for) the lean.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNSvenska View Post
So if your Saguaro is feeding from a water source 20 feet away, you should remove it's roots there? It's 20 feet high, looks very healthy and blooms every year.
Move the water source.
Good read on the care of saguaro cactus transplants...
http://cals.arizona.edu/mohave/maste...aguarocare.pdf

Old 08-10-2015, 02:19 PM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
Thanks, everyone! I feel much better. Just not knowing anything about saguaros and with the color at the base, I wasn't sure if that meant it was dead, rotting, etc. I am not watering them at all, no drip, and I've been careful about monitoring the sprinklers to make sure no spray gets on them. But, there is a lawn, and other plants on drip in the backyard, so it's very possible the roots are getting water somewhere...not sure how i can prevent that though without overhauling the whole backyard.

Fingers crossed for these guys lasting a whole lot longer!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Thanks, everyone! I feel much better. Just not knowing anything about saguaros and with the color at the base, I wasn't sure if that meant it was dead, rotting, etc. I am not watering them at all, no drip, and I've been careful about monitoring the sprinklers to make sure no spray gets on them. But, there is a lawn, and other plants on drip in the backyard, so it's very possible the roots are getting water somewhere...not sure how i can prevent that though without overhauling the whole backyard.

Fingers crossed for these guys lasting a whole lot longer!
How far away from the saguaro is the lawn and the nearest sprinkler system. How long has the lawn been established. When was the saguaro planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: