Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 03:24 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydude24 View Post
There are three runways at Sky Harbor. There are also plenty of international flights into and out of Sky Harbor.

SDL is not comparable to PHX. PHX is certainly not limited to shorter flight segments either.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that there are plenty of international flights. For as large a city/airport as we have, this is a pretty weak area. But apparently the demand is not there for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 03:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
And the BEST thing is you can open carry your AR 15 in the airport. Arizona, feck yeah!
Amen to that!

Old 11-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that there are plenty of international flights. For as large a city/airport as we have, this is a pretty weak area. But apparently the demand is not there for it.
Define "plenty". I only know of a small few to Mexico and Canada, and one to London. That's it. I don't see daily flights from Dubai, Amsterdam, Oslo, Hong Kong, Warsaw, Abu Dhabi, Berlin, etc, like I did at ORD. Im not raggin on Sky Harbor, so don't get me wrong, but all Im stating is our international flights are relatively weak, considering our size, etc. KLAX gets all the international flights. We don't, sadly. We get their connecting flights.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Sky Harbor's biggest problem is that there's an airport 390 miles west of PHX that gets the vast majority of international flights. That airport also is the largest airport in the 2nd largest metropolitan area in the country. So, people in Phoenix are forced to connect in LAX oftentimes to travel to Asia, Australia, or South America.

Sky Harbor's other flaw is that up until recently Phoenix was considered to be a "low-yielding" city for airline traffic. Due to the higher percentage of tourism, VFR (visiting friends and relatives) travel, and the general lack of a diverse economy in Phoenix the airport traditionally supported "low cost carriers" as opposed to full service airlines that rely more on premium travelers and business travelers. While PHX does have a hub for American Airlines that hub is a holdover from America West Airlines which was a "low cost carrier" and not a traditional mainline carrier. This is why there are constant rumors that the American Airlines hub will close, although I am not convinced it will.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Sky Harbor's biggest problem is that there's an airport 390 miles west of PHX that gets the vast majority of international flights. That airport also is the largest airport in the 2nd largest metropolitan area in the country. So, people in Phoenix are forced to connect in LAX oftentimes to travel to Asia, Australia, or South America.

Sky Harbor's other flaw is that up until recently Phoenix was considered to be a "low-yielding" city for airline traffic. Due to the higher percentage of tourism, VFR (visiting friends and relatives) travel, and the general lack of a diverse economy in Phoenix the airport traditionally supported "low cost carriers" as opposed to full service airlines that rely more on premium travelers and business travelers. While PHX does have a hub for American Airlines that hub is a holdover from America West Airlines which was a "low cost carrier" and not a traditional mainline carrier. This is why there are constant rumors that the American Airlines hub will close, although I am not convinced it will.
Precisely what I outlined in my previous statement above.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Oh, yay. We claim the 10th busiest airport in the 5th largest city. Cmon, man. Have you lived around places like JFK or ORD? Only then would you understand where Im coming from. For example: Vegas and Denver are a LOT smaller than PHX, but have far more flights. PHX might lay claim to one of the busier airports in the USA, but 2 runways, practically ZERO international flights, etc, makes it "not major" in my book. Sorry, but all the little pond jumper flights via Southwest to San Diego or Las Vegas is pitiful. Take those away and Scottsdale's airport is probably busier. No joke. As a important transportation hub in the USA, Sky Harbor is rather sad. Its not even a blip on the radar as far as international importance is concerned. That's what I was getting at.
Denver is all connecting flights, which does nothing for the economy really. Just adds more congestion and pollution. Sky Harbors location will limit a lot of growth, which is why Gateway was built and continues to grow. International flights really do not make economic sense here with LAX being so close.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Define "plenty". I only know of a small few to Mexico and Canada, and one to London. That's it. I don't see daily flights from Dubai, Amsterdam, Oslo, Hong Kong, Warsaw, Abu Dhabi, Berlin, etc, like I did at ORD. Im not raggin on Sky Harbor, so don't get me wrong, but all Im stating is our international flights are relatively weak, considering our size, etc. KLAX gets all the international flights. We don't, sadly. We get their connecting flights.

Sorry that was a typo, I meant that there are NOT that many international flights. No demand for them here.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:04 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Denver is all connecting flights, which does nothing for the economy really. Just adds more congestion and pollution. Sky Harbors location will limit a lot of growth, which is why Gateway was built and continues to grow. International flights really do not make economic sense here with LAX being so close.
The two largest carriers at Sky Harbor: American Airlines and Southwest Airlines aren't focused on growing their Phoenix operations. In fact, American Airlines will likely shrink its operation somewhat. Southwest may grow, but not domestically but rather internationally.

I believe that if American Airlines reduces its operation, it may provide an opening for Allegiant to move from Gateway to Sky Harbor. Not to mention that the airport is adding 8 gates to the D concourse at T4 for an airline or airlines yet to be named.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:32 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
While it might not be a Southwestern theme...renovations are in the works. Also a contract was just awarded to completely redo the surrounding landscape.

https://skyharbor.com/TerminalModernization
They are indeed renovating Terminal 3 and opening it up more by adding more glass and making it modern (it opened in 1979 and remodeled in 1997) and streamlining the security checkpoint, but Terminal 4 is the airport's signature structure, which could use an overhaul, but since the parking garage is on top of it, it will be a mission impossible.

I'm sure if they were to construct T4 today, they would not use the Brutalist architecture and not put a 6 level parking garage directly on top of the terminal itself, for both security reasons and aesthetics.

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-04-2016 at 10:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
The two largest carriers at Sky Harbor: American Airlines and Southwest Airlines aren't focused on growing their Phoenix operations. In fact, American Airlines will likely shrink its operation somewhat. Southwest may grow, but not domestically but rather internationally.

I believe that if American Airlines reduces its operation, it may provide an opening for Allegiant to move from Gateway to Sky Harbor. Not to mention that the airport is adding 8 gates to the D concourse at T4 for an airline or airlines yet to be named.
I'm not sure about Southwest growing internationally here, their focus internationally is out of Houston Hobby.

I don't think AA and Southwest will grow much here, I think it's pretty much leveled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area