Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Or far better yet, have more parents start bringing up their kids to think about others around them, that they aren't the center of the universe, and teach them to respect others rights so they don't grow up to be selfish/self centered/disrespectful adults to others.
Now you are just dreaming!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
Or far better yet, have more parents start bringing up their kids to think about others around them, that they aren't the center of the universe, and teach them to respect others rights so they don't grow up to be selfish/self centered/disrespectful adults to others.
WOW, Steve . . . if only that approach was possible.

Don't hold your breath.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:36 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Now you are just dreaming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
WOW, Steve . . . if only that approach was possible.

Don't hold your breath.
I'm a dreamer for sure, aren't I? I better exhale Bummer.....phew!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

Maybe you need your own dominant cat?
Or a pellet gun.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM

164 posts, read 184,484 times
I used to be a cat lover. I still am but don't want one of my own. People who you think have an understanding of the wandering cat problem, don't. They still turn them loose because their back yard is "fenced," like a fence will keep the cats out of the neighbors yards. If the cats are kept indoors the stench of the cat box will knock you down no matter how clean. One of my cats lived to be 24, so I do know about cats.

I looked at some of the links earlier posted in this discussion and saw that the busiest breeding time for feral cats is late January...which is NOW. I have seen a queen kitty lounging on a bench on the front porch next door where they put food out for the poor cats. There is a menacing tom strutting around in the front yard giving passing people dirty looks. Here we go again. My dog can hear the screaming of passionate kitty love making in the wee small hours of the morning. My double pane windows can't keep the sounds out. My dog thinks we should all get up at 4 A.M. and go outside. What to do?

Last edited by Bird Street; 01-18-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,875,116 times
Wandering cats is a common issue- and one thing I have noticed- that between the neighbors (and be aware that there are more than that neighbor's cats out on the prowl- and the feral cats--

there are just a lot out there and loose.

So even if your one neighbor moved and took his cats-- there is still going to be the issue.

SO secure your yard- if its got the substrate similar to a large box of kitty litter and no resident animals, well its going to get attention--

get a dog- even a two foot high terrier or chihuahua will bark and keep away the cats- and you can use a foot high picket fence to keep the dog(s) in.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,242,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
get a dog- even a two foot high terrier or chihuahua will bark and keep away the cats- and you can use a foot high picket fence to keep the dog(s) in.
I have two dogs and sure the cat would leave when I let the dogs out but that didn't keep the cat out when the dogs were in the house or at night when the dogs were inside.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
I used to be a cat lover. I still am but don't want one of my own. People who you think have an understanding of the wandering cat problem, don't. They still turn them loose because their back yard is "fenced," like a fence will keep the cats out of the neighbors yards. If the cats are kept indoors the stench of the cat box will knock you down no matter how clean. One of my cats lived to be 24, so I do know about cats.

I looked at some of the links earlier posted in this discussion and saw that the busiest breeding time for feral cats is late January...which is NOW. I have seen a queen kitty lounging on a bench on the front porch next door where they put food out for the poor cats. There is a menacing tom strutting around in the front yard giving passing people dirty looks. Here we go again. My dog can hear the screaming of passionate kitty love making in the wee small hours of the morning. My double pane windows can't keep the sounds out. My dog thinks we should all get up at 4 A.M. and go outside. What to do?
My cats are let out in my (privacy) fenced yard for short amounts of time, supervised. It keeps them in, they find a bush to take a nap under and I can always find them in the same spot if I happen to lose sight of them. In my case the fact that my cats have spent time out there has also kept other cats OUT. I have not seen a stray in my yard for at least 6 months where I would see 6 or 7 easy when I first moved in. My neighborhood is LOADED with cat drama

I grew up with cats, having as many as 24 at one time (my mom didn't work outside of the home so the cats were her job, and she took it upon herself to do her own TNR before that was a "thing"), so I also know cats. They are unique and interesting creatures for sure.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:40 PM

745 posts, read 881,065 times
Borrow a game camera and set it up where you think there is a problem. We had a dog poop problem and we pretty much knew whose dog it was but he swore it wasn't HIS dog. So we set up the camera, left a bowl with some food in it and voila! A perfect picture of his dog out at night in our yard at 3am. We don't have a dog poop problem any more.

Please don't hurt the cats. It's not their fault, it's their nature, and their owners allowing them to roam. Since your neighbors aren't going to do anything, buy some spray or other repellent. It works and it's easier than making an enemy out of your neighbor or hurting innocent animals.

I have cats but they never go outside. It's too dangerous and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to them.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 33,473 times
Quote:

Steve you hit the nail on the head with that. From what I see anymore it's like no one gives a crap about anyone else anymore. You see it in traffic, at the grocery store, in the workplace, everywhere anymore. It is something that is definitely more prevalent then it used to be.

Now on my front door welcome mat today it looks like there is some type of throw up with hair in it! When does this end? I am living paycheck to paycheck and am basically a working stiff. I contacted a rescue group that will come out and trap the cat(s) but they want to charge me!??!?!?!? I am beginning to understand more and more how good people break bad. My patience is lessening as I get older when I used to think it would improve with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area