Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:33 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,251,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I guess I value a living thing, especially when it is someone's PET/ family member, over property. I also highly doubt that one cat can do THOUSANDS of dollars in damage.

There are many ways to deal with it, and many suggestions have been made in this thread, without resorting to offing a creature that is only doing what is in its nature to do. JMO.
Then you have never seen what cat spray does to metal items, especially painted metal items.

Look up a Yoder 1500 smoker and see what it costs. Now, have a cat spray it dozens of times. Even with all the time I spent washing it after it was sprayed dozens of times, the spray ruined it. The paint is all bubbled and falling off, the metal is stained and rusted and the smokers value went from thousands that I paid to next to nothing when I sold it less than a year old due to the damage.

The cat sprayed all my new patio furniture and it stained it and we couldn't get the smell out. Had to throw it away and replace it.

Sprayed three of the wheels on my truck and stained each of them. Each wheel is $500.

The cat got into my garage one day while I was doing yard work and sprayed my expensive roll away tool chest. I found it later and all the paint is eaten right off it at the bottom where it was sprayed.

You expecting me to have to "deal with it" after asking over and over for my neighbor to control his cat is unbelievable.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,093 times
I have lots of cats and they stay near my house. I suggest when you see the cats to make a lot of noise and shoo them away. Cats hate water . Get that hose out. A good squirt of water and they will go running for cover . Orange peels throw a few out they don't like the smell of that Hope that helps

Old 01-19-2017, 03:53 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,390,403 times
Pay no mind to the selfish cat lovers on here. The cats deaths are not your fault, they are theirs.

How many total in your neighborhood?

Get a trap, one can of tuna = one cat.

Try to turn them in somewhere. After that take them for a ride, then let em go, teach the kid how to shoot, whatever.

Or if you don't want to waste even more time and money with any of that just fill something in the garage with water and put the trap in it. Problem solved. Open the next can of tuna.

Ok all the selfish cat lovers can have a group cry.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:05 PM

700 posts, read 923,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The most recent news I heard about this is that it's not taken in perspective: that birds were killed by other predators in the era before humans killed off the other predators and/or pushed them out from habitat loss. Felis catus didn't get here until Europeans did, and there were predators killing passerines before that.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Some hobby. People actually do this?

Ummm....I prefer collecting stamps...

Old 01-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammiejo View Post
I have lots of cats and they stay near my house. I suggest when you see the cats to make a lot of noise and shoo them away. Cats hate water . Get that hose out. A good squirt of water and they will go running for cover . Orange peels throw a few out they don't like the smell of that Hope that helps
Why do I have to "shoo" your cats away from my property? Using your logic, you're fine if I let me dogs over on your property to harass and kill your cats? You can just try and "shoo them away" even if the kill a few in between when you're able to shoo them away.

How the entitled and self centered mind works is baffling.

I have two dogs and they are my responsibility. My neighbors should not (and do not) have to listen to them bark, they don't have to clean my dogs crap up out of their yard, they don't have to put up with my dogs on their property digging holes, don't have to keep their pets away and safe from my roaming dogs, etc. MY DOGS ARE MY RESPONSIBILITY. Telling someone else to deal with my dogs or telling them they have to "shoo them away" would never cross my mind. If my neighbor ever had to come over and ask me to control my dogs (barking or roaming) I would be so embarrassed and apologetic and it would never happen again. I would get rid of my dogs before I would make my neighbor have to deal with them.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Then you have never seen what cat spray does to metal items, especially painted metal items.

Look up a Yoder 1500 smoker and see what it costs. Now, have a cat spray it dozens of times. Even with all the time I spent washing it after it was sprayed dozens of times, the spray ruined it. The paint is all bubbled and falling off, the metal is stained and rusted and the smokers value went from thousands that I paid to next to nothing when I sold it less than a year old due to the damage.

The cat sprayed all my new patio furniture and it stained it and we couldn't get the smell out. Had to throw it away and replace it.

Sprayed three of the wheels on my truck and stained each of them. Each wheel is $500.

The cat got into my garage one day while I was doing yard work and sprayed my expensive roll away tool chest. I found it later and all the paint is eaten right off it at the bottom where it was sprayed.

You expecting me to have to "deal with it" after asking over and over for my neighbor to control his cat is unbelievable.

Why is he spraying? Most male cats spray to mark territory. If he is neutered it usually stops the spraying. Instead of chasing the cat with Febreeze and coyote urine, it might be cheaper and more effective to have him neutered. You could try asking the neighbor/owner to have this done, or, catch the cat and take him to the vet yourself. Yes, I know.....quite a feat....perhaps a catch-and-release program in your area could help? They usually catch the cat, neuter him, then release back to his area.

The cost shouldn't be too much. Where I live, its about $50, but its a one-time fee to solve the problem. Also, look into low-cost/free spay/neuter programs through your Humane Society. I got my daughter a voucher for free neuter for her cat through such a program.

If the neighbor doesn't speak English......Hey, he must know some English----otherwise try saying this---or write it down to give him

Por Favor traigale su gato al vet para cortar sus cojones. El orina en mi yard.

Not the most eloquent Spanish, but gets the points across. Smile a lot! Even offer to pay if that's a point, if it solves the problem its worth it!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:15 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,390,403 times
Maybe you should spend your time and money on this since you want to spend his?

Pm him ask where he lives, set the trap, check it daily, drive to the place, pay for it yourself etc. I don't understand your logic.

Op I've been where you are. theyve already used their 9 lives.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Why is he spraying? Most male cats spray to mark territory. If he is neutered it usually stops the spraying. Instead of chasing the cat with Febreeze and coyote urine, it might be cheaper and more effective to have him neutered. You could try asking the neighbor/owner to have this done, or, catch the cat and take him to the vet yourself. Yes, I know.....quite a feat....perhaps a catch-and-release program in your area could help? They usually catch the cat, neuter him, then release back to his area.

The cost shouldn't be too much. Where I live, its about $50, but its a one-time fee to solve the problem. Also, look into low-cost/free spay/neuter programs through your Humane Society. I got my daughter a voucher for free neuter for her cat through such a program.

If the neighbor doesn't speak English......Hey, he must know some English----otherwise try saying this---or write it down to give him

Por Favor traigale su gato al vet para cortar sus cojones. El orina en mi yard.

Not the most eloquent Spanish, but gets the points across. Smile a lot! Even offer to pay if that's a point, if it solves the problem its worth it!
My neighbor is an idiot, he has two male Great Dane's as well and they are not neutered either. He sees it as a sign of being cool to have in tact animals. The two dogs drag his wife all over the neighborhood when she walks them and she spends the whole time yelling at them to try and get them under control.

My neighbor wasn't willing to do anything about his cat because "that's what cats do" and his cat was an "outdoor cat". So, I did something and he no longer has a cat.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,758,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
After my neighbor ignored my requests to keep his cat out of my yard, my $2500 smoker being ruined, my tool chest ruined, my patio furniture ruined, the wheels on my truck ruined, and all the cat crap in my yard...I contacted animal control, the hoa and the city. None of them were interested in dealing with a roaming cat so I took matters into my own hands.

I have not seen the cat in about a year, neither has my neighbor.
Having a difficult time believing all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area