Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,163,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
6. Cultural diversity

Phoenix isn't really diverse by any statistical standard and it lacks historical significance compared to LA. LA has pockets of small neighborhoods where historically, that's where many of the ancestors of immigrants today first lived which is still true to date. There's infinitely many more ethnically rich areas in LA than there are in Phoenix. Koreatown and Little Tokyo are good examples.

Aside from, your numbers 1-5, (which are all economic/physical), #6 cannot be quantified with money or numbers.
I do wish Phoenix had more Asians. I like them because of their typical work ethics which I perceive as the same as Judeo-Christian work ethics, and also family values the same or similar.

I'm not really into cultural stuff except maybe dining cuisine. I have had many Asian friends, but I am also a fanatic enthusiast of Asian cuisine. I know of only a few Asian food stores in my main interest area in Phoenix (starting at Mesa and going both north and west).

Culture as far as museums, plays, concerts, etc. is pretty much a meh for me. I have a business to run, I have a novel to write, I need to develop friends who share my interests in Phoenix, I'll need to rehabilitate my cousin (we are a year difference in age). Maybe my influence on him will even help him get his life together. Sadly my own fortune in life has far surpassed that of my cousin. I'd like to see him succeed too.

So unless you meant something different, it is mainly Native American culture I'm interested in, and I-17 leads the way! Hello Utah, helow Indian lands! I'm totally fascinated by their culture, and upon what happened to the Anasazis. I'm pretty sure I have the correct answer on that last one--it's both complex and simple, and no flying saucers necessary!

Old 04-30-2017, 12:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,817,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I do wish Phoenix had more Asians. I like them because of their typical work ethics which I perceive as the same as Judeo-Christian work ethics, and also family values the same or similar.

I'm not really into cultural stuff except maybe dining cuisine. I have had many Asian friends, but I am also a fanatic enthusiast of Asian cuisine. I know of only a few Asian food stores in my main interest area in Phoenix (starting at Mesa and going both north and west).

Culture as far as museums, plays, concerts, etc. is pretty much a meh for me. I have a business to run, I have a novel to write, I need to develop friends who share my interests in Phoenix, I'll need to rehabilitate my cousin (we are a year difference in age). Maybe my influence on him will even help him get his life together. Sadly my own fortune in life has far surpassed that of my cousin. I'd like to see him succeed too.

So unless you meant something different, it is mainly Native American culture I'm interested in, and I-17 leads the way! Hello Utah, helow Indian lands! I'm totally fascinated by their culture, and upon what happened to the Anasazis. I'm pretty sure I have the correct answer on that last one--it's both complex and simple, and no flying saucers necessary!
Well being inclusive doesn't mean hand-selecting certain groups of people because their values are similiar to yours. It means welcoming everyone as long as they don't break the law, however they decide to run their families or work life is pretty much up to them. That's what gives way to differences in culture. People live differently but play the same game.

You cannot pinpoint "culture" = the different things you can do and what the city offers. That's not what it is. Cultural diversity means people coming from all walks of life holding a different philosophy of life, value system, customary beliefs, and traditions that might be a complete 180 on what you are used to. Accepting whatever they do at face value is the best you can do (again, as long as they don't break the law). This is why there's Koreatown or Chinatown. Because of early immigrants and their culture, they brought a different flare to LA and it really feels like how it is back home to those immigrants. That's what gives it a vibe/feel that's very different here in Phoenix.

Sure, LA grew over the decades to a melting pot of cultures. It is the defacto home base of the motion pictures industry, the palm tree/beachy vibe, etc... It spearheads cultural and politlcal movements regardless of the status quo. That's what is different compared to Phoenix. Phoenix is a status-quo, get-on-with-life, type of city. It doesn't spearhead anything different nor tries to be anything different.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:26 PM

You value cultural diversity more than I. I don't mind it but don't require it either. I'm satisfied with the people and friends I've made in Phoenix as things are now. But I come from a multi-cultural metropolitan area and I'm fully comfortable with people from all cultures.

I'm just making the point that I don't need it. All I care is that Phoenix should satisfy me. It is up to others to decide for themselves whether they too are satisfied.

The only thing I would miss is lack of access to Asian markets, and to a lesser extent lack of good Asian restaurants, although I already have my favorite Chinese restaurant in Mesa.

I don't need your form of culture nor do I object to it. In fact I would favor more cultural diversity but it matters not to me whether it happens or not. I can always make friends with the Mormon couple next door! Heh, I'll go thump on their door! Ask them if they are interested in learning more about Satanism. Boy, I bet that would decrease the thumpers at my door!!! LOLOL!

Maybe I should just hang an upside-down cross on my front door and do the job right!

Do they make upside-down cross door knockers?

Old 04-30-2017, 12:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,817,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You value cultural diversity more than I. I don't mind it but don't require it either. I'm satisfied with the people and friends I've made in Phoenix as things are now. But I come from a multi-cultural metropolitan area and I'm fully comfortable with people from all cultures.

I'm just making the point that I don't need it. All I care is that Phoenix should satisfy me. It is up to others to decide for themselves whether they too are satisfied.

The only thing I would miss is lack of access to Asian markets, and to a lesser extent lack of good Asian restaurants, although I already have my favorite Chinese restaurant in Mesa.

I don't need your form of culture nor do I object to it. In fact I would favor more cultural diversity but it matters not to me whether it happens or not. I can always make friends with the Mormon couple next door! Heh, I'll go thump on their door! Ask them if they are interested in learning more about Satanism. Boy, I bet that would decrease the thumpers at my door!!! LOLOL!

Maybe I should just hang an upside-down cross on my front door and do the job right!

Do they make upside-down cross door knockers?
I was born and raised in LA to immigrant parents (and grew up surrounded by people who were not like me) so yes of course I value it way more . Just a different way of living/looking at life.

Well, even though you want a good selection of Asian markets/restaurants. It only comes when people with the culture come and feel accepted. Some of the quirky restaurants with awesome food are located in Koreatown/Chinatown started/ran by immigrants and you can't find it here in Phoenix. The culture is the fundamental driver of choice and options to try new things that are different. But whatever makes you happy.

East Mesa is quickly becoming a small Asian hub for all stuff Asian so I'm sure you already know about that. Maybe in the next decade or 2, that'll transform into a larger Asian area with full of diverse things too. One can only hope.

Gen House KBBQ (a proper korean bbq finally...) is coming to Tempe Marketplace this summer, that's a good chain based in LA.

Last edited by man4857; 04-30-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 01:54 PM

412 posts, read 511,009 times
Phoenix is the worst city in America, maybe even in the developed world. All the negatives with a big city (traffic, freeways, smog, pollution) with none of the positives.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 PM

226 posts, read 227,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Phoenix is the worst city in America, maybe even in the developed world. All the negatives with a big city (traffic, freeways, smog, pollution) with none of the positives.

Wow... way to paint a really broad brush. Worse than Omaha, Nebraska? (Actually I think Omaha is a rather nice city)

No positives, huh? This is the Land of Perpetual Sunshine. If you want sun, there's no better place to be. Phoenicians are a friendly bunch. Every recreational opportunity under the sun (no pun intended).

In a word, Phoenix is... Paradise!

Old 04-30-2017, 03:15 PM

412 posts, read 511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Wow... way to paint a really broad brush. Worse than Omaha, Nebraska? (Actually I think Omaha is a rather nice city)

No positives, huh? This is the Land of Perpetual Sunshine. If you want sun, there's no better place to be. Phoenicians are a friendly bunch. Every recreational opportunity under the sun (no pun intended).

In a word, Phoenix is... Paradise!
Well Omaha is a small town, you can't compare them. Yes the climate is great in Phoenix, but so is it in most of southern Arizona. Phoenix is like a small town with the negatives of a large city. So I'd rather live in Tucson. It has the same amount of amenities but shorter driving distances.

The only part of Phoenix I like is the downtown area. It's pretty cool. Outside of that it's pretty terrible.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, friend, but paradise is not for all. Paradise is NOT for trolls!

Man4857, thanks for the info. In any case it is getting more and more popular to see Asian ingredients in mainstream supermarkets and even more in specialized ones like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and I am an expert gourmet Asian (and other) amateur chef. And there is also increasing amounts of ingredients available online like Amazon (I'm Prime).

Good to know about the Mesa situation, I doubt I will live there but not unlikely I may end up near there. Also looking at farther places like Cave Creek and Gold Canyon, obviously 90 degrees and quite some distance to both, or N. Scottsdale, at least closer. One nice personal aspect of Cave Creek for me, I just know I'll be traveling often up I-17 to Flag and beyond, some of the prettiest country in Utah for a veteran desert rat like me!

Wow, just in recent weeks I've been learning so much more about PHX even though I've been a property owner for some years now! These multiple topics are certainly increasing my interest, and yet at the same time the worst case scenario of where I live (CA) is starting to turn something possible into something inevitable. It all depends on what the "gummint" does. If the "gummint" wants me outta CA then PHX is where you will find me. The worst case there is I'll have to just spend more time swimming at the peak of summer and spend time indoors when the haboobs happen. I get the feeling that haboobs happen but not that often. Maybe a few times a year? And not the whole city, right? Just parts...

Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,726,528 times
So, from your post, I gather you don't care about culture, geographical convenience, good public basics (e.g. public transportation), forward-thinking politicians, or an engaged citizenry. So you'd be fine.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Well Omaha is a small town, you can't compare them. Yes the climate is great in Phoenix, but so is it in most of southern Arizona. Phoenix is like a small town with the negatives of a large city. So I'd rather live in Tucson. It has the same amount of amenities but shorter driving distances.

The only part of Phoenix I like is the downtown area. It's pretty cool. Outside of that it's pretty terrible.
The metro population of Omaha/Council Bluffs was just over 930,000 in 2013. I am pretty sure that's not the definition of a "small town.". Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area