Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Well Omaha is a small town, you can't compare them. Yes the climate is great in Phoenix, but so is it in most of southern Arizona. Phoenix is like a small town with the negatives of a large city. So I'd rather live in Tucson. It has the same amount of amenities but shorter driving distances.

The only part of Phoenix I like is the downtown area. It's pretty cool. Outside of that it's pretty terrible.
Phoenix like a small town but with the negatives? We have extremely light traffic for a city of 5 million, 4 professional sports teams along with a 5 possibly on the way, performing arts across the board, the largest university in the nation, dozens of museums, soon to have a second NCAA university in town with GCU next year, one of the largest art walks in the country, a thriving foodie scene, not just 1 but multiple urban living destinations, 16 fortune 1000 companies make their home here.

What small town rivals any of this?

Have Tucson, all you want, we've got plenty of people moving here and Tucson has been stagnant for decades. IT'S ALL YOURS!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
So, from your post, I gather you don't care about culture, geographical convenience, good public basics (e.g. public transportation), forward-thinking politicians, or an engaged citizenry. So you'd be fine.
Another troll? I care about geographic convenience, not about public transportation (I drive about 8,000 miles/year--and I'm retired so no commute, or I'm a landlord who telecommutes, you pick), conservative politicians and government, and a productive and free citizenry not overburdened by a tax-and-spend government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix ... {has} ... one of the largest art walks in the country, a thriving foodie scene...
Now you have my attention! Santa Fe's art walk was my most favorite part of living in Santa Fe for me. And I'm a bona fide foodie! Now you are starting to find my culture!

I am an amateur artist (pen and ink, colored pencil) and an amateur gourmet chef.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Another troll? I care about geographic convenience, not about public transportation (I drive about 8,000 miles/year--and I'm retired so no commute, or I'm a landlord who telecommutes, you pick), conservative politicians and government, and a productive and free citizenry not overburdened by a tax-and-spend government.

Now you have my attention! Santa Fe's art walk was my most favorite part of living in Santa Fe for me. And I'm a bona fide foodie! Now you are starting to find my culture!

I am an amateur artist (pen and ink, colored pencil) and an amateur gourmet chef.
Well if you haven't heard or discovered Roosevelt Row I'm sure you'll love it, as always happens with art communities the area is becoming gentrified and prices are rising. So a lot of artists are moving over to Grand Ave now, just a short distance from Roosevelt.

Here is a lot of info about the organization and many other events they host as well.

https://artlinkphoenix.com/first-fridays/

Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 PM

I'll be in PHX in May. I just may check it out. I'm an amateur artist = no intent to sell, but my friends may be receiving personalized gifts.

No desire to move there (artist row) but plenty of desire to see it. I've bookmarked your post to use in planning my road trip. Thanks!

It will be interesting to compare it to Santa Fe's art walk.

My trip is mostly business but I'd like to see N. Scottsdale, Cave Creek, or Gold Canyon. Having trouble convincing my Realtor to show me both, but I understand the amount of driving involved. Note that I am her repeat offender client over 3 years (mostly rental leases, 1 sale).

Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM

266 posts, read 335,366 times
Albuquerque, Fresno, utah, and Sacramento exist

Similar affordability and much cooler weather.

I knew a lot of people who left for phx in the 90s from Fresno. Now I'm meeting more transplants from phx than ever. The trend seems to be reversing with my anecdotal evidence.

Average house cost = 207k in Fresno
208k in phx

Average July night temp = 67 degrees in Fresno
83 in phx

Pollution, you say. Phx isn't far behind Fresno and fresno air keeps improving. Don't be shocked to see phx with worse air in 2-5 years.

No need to run your air 24/7 and overpay for housing if you don't want too. Smaller Alternatives exist

Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 PM

You better be LDS/Mormon if you want to move to Utah. Your only escape would be SLC/Ogden which is a bit more cosmopolitan and less Mormon population, and St. George (near Las Vegas) is mostly neutral.

There is nothing wrong with Mormons, they are a fine and friendly people, but their beliefs are founded mostly in socializing with fellow church members, and a non-Mormon would have a curtailed social life living in most of Utah (particularly small towns). Note that the Beehive state is the cleanest and best kept state I've ever seen, and the Mormons I've met have been among the most friendly and polite people I've ever met.

I don't know why I don't like Duke City. I just don't. I just can't express my reasons.

Fresno and Sacramento are in a state with an insane tax-and-spend then give-it-away to illegal aliens and can't-don't-wanna-work government. Need I say more?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,969,536 times
Duke City is really kind of far from anything. If you don't like it there is nothing really there unless you drive hell of far.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Lots of conservatives in Sacramento suburbs. Sacramento proper leans slightly left tho.

Lots of conservatives in the Fresno area. Fresno has had republican mayors since I can remember.
Local politics is closer to phx than to San francisco.
Both sac and Fresno are urbanizing and are trying to shed their small town images. Its exciting times for both cities.

I thought Utah was fine when I lived there. Maybe not the most exciting place, but at least the ppl were friendly and the weather was decent.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Duke City is really kind of far from anything. If you don't like it there is nothing really there unless you drive hell of far.
You mean drive hella far?

Well Duke City is 2 hours from Santa Fe. OTOH Santa Fe is 2 hours from Duke City too. To be honest, I almost moved to Santa Fe and even had my house picked out in El Dorado (south of freeway) but Santa Fe was just too small for me. Honestly I just don't know why I don't like Duke City. I just know I don't.

Oh my Gawd my El Dorado adobe complete with classic ceiling treatments 4BR 3BA 1 acre was to die for!!! $350K in 2014. I was just at the point of cutting a purchase offer when I realized Santa Fe was just too small for me, from a major cosmopolitan city to a pop. 80K city, couldn't stand the small town aspect. I moved back to the big bad city. Note Phoenix I can already tell is big enough for me. Been there plenty of times over years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
I thought Utah was fine when I lived there. Maybe not the most exciting place, but at least the ppl were friendly and the weather was decent.
Where did you live. I haven't lived in Utah although there have been years where I spent 10% of my year in Utah--camping--2 vacations 3 weeks each = 19x3 = almost 60 days! I researched the Mormonism and would gladly live in Utah in a medium sized city if it weren't for my fear of not having enough potential friends who don't require me to attend their church. (temple)

Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 PM

North utah - Davis county in the early 00s for a couple of years

Bout 30-40 minutes from SLC

Lots of Mormons, but a lot of them seemed to be the non practicing type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area