Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,186,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
The negatives of Phoenix compared to Bay Area CA:

Less Asian food items. We really don't dine out much unless traveling since I love to cook so having good markets is important to me.

Much hotter and drier than here in Bay Area. We will no doubt have to get a humidifier for us.

That's all I can come up with. OTOH, living in Phoenix means much easier to move around, less hassle, nicer homes, less oppressive govts.
I keep weighing the negatives of PHX (above) and I still have only the weather and a city I grew up in as my only two things on the + side of SoCal.

Well it would be a PITA to buy house, sell house, move.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
1) Citrus grows just fine here. We have lemon, orange, fig...just missing a lime tree. There is some things that won't but we also have roses, hibiscus, bougainvillea, lantanas...and we just built my daughter an elevated garden that she has been growing strawberries in. I don't hold much hope for those with the Summer coming but...they were fun while they lasted.

2) There are specific markets with Asian food items, Fry's carries many as well.

3) Yeah...walkability can be an issue depending on where you are.

4) Common complaint of most moving from the coasts...as well as nosebleeds and their wood furniture suffering damage. They actually make a system that adds to your HVAC that turns it into a whole house humidifier...that or as you said, purchase some humidifiers for around the home.
1) They sell all the citrus I want at the markets. In fact I don't like citrus. I don't know if it is citrus (prob not) but I'd like a Kaffir lime bush.

2.) My cuz told me about one Asian market in Mesa, and at least in Socal a lot of mainstream markets are stocking more and more Asian foods.

3.) Walk? Walk??? I walk when I need exercise or want to go on a hike. I drive everywhere else!

4.) Heh, most of my furniture would go to Goodwill, right where it came from. I'm house rich and money poor. And I'm a desert rat: if you said dry I'd say, "What's dry?"

Old 05-01-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Every time someone says there are know Asian markets here, it's obvious they have not been to Mekong in Mesa and the international market around the corner.
Yeah, I think that's the place cuz told me about.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,178,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
1) They sell all the citrus I want at the markets. In fact I don't like citrus. I don't know if it is citrus (prob not) but I'd like a Kaffir lime bush.

2.) My cuz told me about one Asian market in Mesa, and at least in Socal a lot of mainstream markets are stocking more and more Asian foods.

3.) Walk? Walk??? I walk when I need exercise or want to go on a hike. I drive everywhere else!

4.) Heh, most of my furniture would go to Goodwill, right where it came from. I'm house rich and money poor. And I'm a desert rat: if you said dry I'd say, "What's dry?"
That was in response to nasu. We have a Ponderosa Lemon tree in the backyard...I always laugh at the tiny lemons in the market they are trying to sell for $1.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Yeah, lemon prices everywhere are ridiculous. Frankly, I can't understand why anybody would think citrus wouldn't grow in PHX. I think one of my rentals has a lemon bush.

It's funny owning rentals, I can own it for years and still accumulate maybe only 30-40 hours total time spent at the house. I have pictures but I don't look at them. I look at my bank balance and mortgage status, pay TPT taxes, insurance, property tax etc. All I want to see is rent on the 1st and a phone call or email if something breaks.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Dobson and Broadway has a large Asian market now too and there's a sign for yet another one on Dobson and Southern. That whole corridor is becoming a giant Asian food and market center, which I happen to love.
That's what I was talking about when I said "around the corner from Mekong,"

Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM

I thought Mekong was the store. What is Mekong and what city?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,779,911 times
The heat and the terrain are what make it LCOL. It'll be what keeps my husband from having us stay long-term.

Also education. A lot to be desired. Before anyone gets crazy, I never said Arizona has a terrible, no-good education system just a lot more can be done.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:36 PM

LCOL means?

"Also education. A lot to be desired." That could apply to many people I meet online!

I hear Gilbert has excellent public schools. (But I have no children.)

Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I thought Mekong was the store. What is Mekong and what city?
Mekong Plaza is a shopping center located just north of Broadway on Dobson in Mesa.

Home

The immediate area has many Asian restaurants, and around the corner on Broadway is the international market

http://azinternationalmarketplace.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area