Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 09:32 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Albuquerque, Fresno, utah, and Sacramento exist

Similar affordability and much cooler weather.

I knew a lot of people who left for phx in the 90s from Fresno. Now I'm meeting more transplants from phx than ever. The trend seems to be reversing with my anecdotal evidence.

Average house cost = 207k in Fresno
208k in phx

Average July night temp = 67 degrees in Fresno
83 in phx

Pollution, you say. Phx isn't far behind Fresno and fresno air keeps improving. Don't be shocked to see phx with worse air in 2-5 years.

No need to run your air 24/7 and overpay for housing if you don't want too. Smaller Alternatives exist
Fresno? FRESNO? You are comparing Phoenix to Fresno? Weather aside...it is still in CA with all it's jacked up politics, you are about to get a 300% increase in your State Tax to cover Universal Health Care, your gas rates just permanently went up another $.12...even if it is less expensive to live in Fresno it is still...Fresno, CA.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,307,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
K

Cold in the winter? I used my heater about ten times last winter and didn't need to even use it. Only turned it on for the humming to put me to sleep quicker.

Fresnos winter is slightly cooler than bay area winters during the first half and warmer in the 2nd half. During years of drought, 70 degree days in dec/jan are common.

You can't compare AZ to CA in growth rates. CA is anti growth and is making it hard for developers. Word around the state is that the chains are about to be removed and cheaper building is coming. People are fed up with all the red tape that makes building so costly. Compare the areas when they have similar building costs, that's a fair fight.

Edit: Fresno was #3 in the nation for pollution during 2011-2015.
That's the middle of the drought, which made things look worse. Phx was top ten in some stats during that same time. 2016-2019 will show big improvements in the fresno air. Phx air will keep getting worse with its loose pollution Laws and unchecked growth.
"word around the state?"...is that a joke? All CA is becoming more and more is a two class state. The rich and the welfare recipients and servants who serve the rich. And no efforts are being made to turn it around. I know about what I speak. I lived there for 35 years and fled after they provided me with a very generous pension on the backs of the taxpayers in Oct of 2015. I appreciate the pension, but not everything else that now is occurring.

Good luck though. I do like ....well, let's see....um....well, hmm..oh yeah, visiting relatives there once in awhile. It's my tourist destination now!

Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM

179 posts, read 301,923 times
The negatives of Phoenix compared to Bay Area CA:

Less vegetation. Here in CA I grow many plants, some all year long. I have Meyer lemon tree that i over 50 years old that fruits all year. I have 20 or so fruit/citrus trees.

Less Asian food items. We really don't dine out much unless traveling since I love to cook so having good markets is important to me.

I can walk to many markets, doctors, hospital, etc.

Much hotter and drier than here in Bay Area. We will no doubt have to get a humidifier for us.

That's all I can come up with. OTOH, living in Phoenix means much easier to move around, less hassle, nicer homes, less oppressive govts.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
The negatives of Phoenix compared to Bay Area CA:

Less vegetation. Here in CA I grow many plants, some all year long. I have Meyer lemon tree that i over 50 years old that fruits all year. I have 20 or so fruit/citrus trees.

Less Asian food items. We really don't dine out much unless traveling since I love to cook so having good markets is important to me.

I can walk to many markets, doctors, hospital, etc.

Much hotter and drier than here in Bay Area. We will no doubt have to get a humidifier for us.

That's all I can come up with. OTOH, living in Phoenix means much easier to move around, less hassle, nicer homes, less oppressive govts.
1) Citrus grows just fine here. We have lemon, orange, fig...just missing a lime tree. There is some things that won't but we also have roses, hibiscus, bougainvillea, lantanas...and we just built my daughter an elevated garden that she has been growing strawberries in. I don't hold much hope for those with the Summer coming but...they were fun while they lasted.

2) There are specific markets with Asian food items, Fry's carries many as well.

3) Yeah...walkability can be an issue depending on where you are.

4) Common complaint of most moving from the coasts...as well as nosebleeds and their wood furniture suffering damage. They actually make a system that adds to your HVAC that turns it into a whole house humidifier...that or as you said, purchase some humidifiers for around the home.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM

179 posts, read 301,923 times
Glad to hear citrus grows ok in Phoenix. I'm surprised limes don't grow there.

Having a whole house humidifier will be a necessity for us. We have been reading up on solar in Phoenix area. Sounds like there are some changes coming to help with this. We will certainly go with solar.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Oh no...limes grow just fine, we just don't have one. Citrus is one of the Arizona 5"C"s...we used to be known for it.

Careful with the solar and look at the break even. Our power companies put a surcharge on your bill if you have solar and you need to have a large amount of roof exposure to the south, i.e. East/West facing home. That configuration is normally only desirable with the yard in the East, especially in the Summer. North/South homes are more desirable but take a hit in the solar roof exposure arena.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Every time someone says there are know Asian markets here, it's obvious they have not been to Mekong in Mesa and the international market around the corner.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Every time someone says there are know Asian markets here, it's obvious they have not been to Mekong in Mesa and the international market around the corner.
Dobson and Broadway has a large Asian market now too and there's a sign for yet another one on Dobson and Southern. That whole corridor is becoming a giant Asian food and market center, which I happen to love.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:31 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Well Omaha is a small town, you can't compare them. Yes the climate is great in Phoenix, but so is it in most of southern Arizona. Phoenix is like a small town with the negatives of a large city. So I'd rather live in Tucson. It has the same amount of amenities but shorter driving distances.

The only part of Phoenix I like is the downtown area. It's pretty cool. Outside of that it's pretty terrible.
Tucson does not come close to having the same amenities as Phoenix. Often the driving distances are even longer as well. . . .

There are reasons to like Tucson, but big town amenities is not one of them.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Tucson does not come close to having the same amenities as Phoenix. Often the driving distances are even longer as well. . . .

There are reasons to like Tucson, but big town amenities is not one of them.
I'm also waiting to hear what small town compares to Phoenix be amenities, jobs, entertainment....

Thanks to our climate and geography Phoenix probably punches beyond its weight for the amount of activities going on here. It's non-stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area