Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,808,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You spent 35 years in the Phoenix area doing construction work or did you retire to the Phoenix area?

Most of those 35 years were on the east coast and the last last few have been here in Phoenix. I'm just saying that there are some people who don't hibernate all summer because of the heat heat or humidity and some are stuck in it because of our jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Numbers (like this morning) say otherwise. 72% humidity with a 70-degree dew point coupled with 87 degrees this morning is JUST like the East Coast (not deep south). People will argue that its not as bad here, but numbers don't lie. This morning was absolutely gross. Any you people need to remember that humidity isn't anything, its the dew point that you need to look at to measure the moisture in the air.

Currently at 1:15 PM in PHX, the dew point is 70 degrees. That's tropical levels. I just got back inside a few minutes ago, and I'm absolutely dripping with sweat, from just a short 5 minute jaunt out there.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/az/phoenix

True this morning was sticky but it's because of last nights storms. I'm referring to the average summer days here are nothing compared to the east coast where the humidity is high without any storms around. I guess I hate the cold so much I'll "suffer" with the few humid days we have here if it means I'm not cold.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
These are meant for use outside or in areas with a lot of ventilation, like perhaps a garage with at least one of the big doors open. Even the description on the HD website says as much. We rented a big evap cooler when our A/C went out two years ago, and all it did was raise the humidity level quite a lot.

We ended up buying a portable floor A/C from HD, I think 14,000 BTU, and it's able to keep our master br/ba at a livable temperature in the Phoenix summer.
You're right. I didn't realize it isn't meant for indoor use.

Can anyone recommend a portable AC unit which will cool say 750 sq ft?

I am looking to buy two in case of emergency for rental property.

If the AC in the home suddenly goes out I immediately offer to put renters in a hotel for a few days while the AC is being repaired.

However, for some this is a major inconvenience. If I had a couple of portable AC which actually cool the home a good 10-12 degrees this might be preferable.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,300,036 times
The portable ones you have to vent the exhaust outside I have seen them used at my employer to cool computer network equipment when the AC is out they don't work that well in my opinion the ones they have cost over 2k. If you can run a long hose figure out a way to vent the heat from it without letting more heat inside it might work with 2 of them going. At work they use a long flex hose run it up and over the wall outside with some duct tape to seal it off. Maybe you could do the same buy some long flexible insulated duct hose rig it up with duct tape going out a window.

They look like this > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tripp-Lit...L12K/203796126

With the de-humidifier in the monsoon get the moisture out. Says cools 500 SQ Feet 2 of them should handle it.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 AM

872 posts, read 999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Right...we did have a large rainstorm last night, hence the humidity uptick. This is monsoon weather, like many have mentioned before, it gets humid. I actually liked the weather this morning...overcast till about 9ish, not too hot, a little sticky but by no means "gross"
I'll take this humidity cuz I know it won't be here for that long. Not year round like other places in the USA (FL )

Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 AM

36 posts, read 47,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Because everyone does that. They all qualify that they have been here multiple times per year to avoid being criticized for the very reasons they are being criticized for. And in most cases the respondent is lying or has little experience with the weather here. People tend to base opinions on their most recent experience. It's just an emotional response. It's no different than people coming here in March and saying they want to move here. And then we tell people to come here in the summer. It is silly in both cases to judge weather in general based on arriving on one of the hottest days of the year just like its crazy to do so basing it on one of the nicest days of the year.

This isn't our first rodeo. Do you know how many times people come here and present the same story. No one admits the truth and says "I have little experience with Phoenix and based on this hot day, i don't think I could ever live here and the weather here is terrible." Elletea is just like all of us: been there heard that
I do understand what you are saying. I was a member of City-Data for several years until I was out of the country for so long I just never logged back on and had to make a new name.

I just frustrates me when people don't take what is said IN CONTEXT. They wanted to move here, they visited many times, decided they were going to do it, but before pulling the trigger they came one more time - during the worst part of the year mind you -- and it was too hot. (NO surprise there) They then decided to cross it off their list.

I just hate seeing people get jumped on for stating their opinion. We all tolerate different things. I'm the type of person who sees the world with love and color. Maybe I'm the strange one. I just felt really bad for them is all.

Last edited by PBGFL; 07-18-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The AC went out around 7 p.m. on Wed in the home my mother lives. She called me around 9 to tell me the AC went out. I scheduled a repair for Friday.

My mother has a large fan which helped get her through the night but I put her up in a hotel Thursday and Friday until I was sure the AC was working again and the home had cooled.

I am planning to buy this as an emergency unit when I return to Mesa next month:
Hessaire 2,200 CFM 2-Speed Portable Evaporative Cooler for 750 sq. ft.-MC37M - The Home Depot

I'll test it and if it can actually cool a living room which has reached 90 I will buy a second one as well. (I will replace the AC in my mothers home next March.)

Last summer I turned off the AC in my mothers home around 8 am to experience for myself how long before the interior reached over 90.

By three in the afternoon the interior was over 90 and I turned the AC back on.

As far as the heat being too bad. I got used to it fairly quickly. Granted I'm not going to do any landscaping during the afternoon and when I walk from my car to the shopping center I need a hat but otherwise it's livable.

I prefer the AZ summers to dealing with cold winters.
Those evaporative coolers do not work during the monsoon season.

We had one in a building at Luke AFB back in the day and it didn't work when it was "humid"(monsoon, etc)

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Numbers (like this morning) say otherwise. 72% humidity with a 70-degree dew point coupled with 87 degrees this morning is JUST like the East Coast (not deep south). People will argue that its not as bad here, but numbers don't lie. This morning was absolutely gross. Any you people need to remember that humidity isn't anything, its the dew point that you need to look at to measure the moisture in the air.

Currently at 1:15 PM in PHX, the dew point is 70 degrees. That's tropical levels. I just got back inside a few minutes ago, and I'm absolutely dripping with sweat, from just a short 5 minute jaunt out there.

https://www.wunderground.com/us/az/phoenix
Nobody said it never gets humid here, of course it does, just like sometimes it's actually relatively dry out East. But generally speaking it's pretty dry here, most of the time. Days with 70 degree + dewpoints are short lived here. Enjoy the variation while we've got it.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 AM

483 posts, read 409,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
I am from the east coast, I watched the news about a severe heatwave affecting the Arizona area.I am thinking about relocating to Arizona within a year of two and just wondering how bad the heat is down there. The media overexaggerates a lot but it is really unbearable with hot and humidity or is it mainly dry heat.

We get bad summers in the east coast but mainly our humidity is unbearable and stifles the air.
In my opinion, it's that bad!! Way too hot for my liking but since I'm here I just try not to complain and deal with it! I don't think I'll ever get use to this heat.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
In my opinion, it's that bad!! Way too hot for my liking but since I'm here I just try not to complain and deal with it! I don't think I'll ever get use to this heat.
What are you expecting by "getting used to it"? All that means is adjust to the fact that summers here are like winters in the North, it your outside its mainly for specific activities like swimming or at specific times when the temps are more tolerable. I was out hiking last night and bumped into about 60 others along the trails. It's humid now but not any hotter than a lot of the country is with the current heat wave going on.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Naw. This doesn't happen that often:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area