Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 11:02 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,379,677 times

Advertisements

4:05 PM 107.2 °F 26 % = 112 F Heat Index Hottest in the nation

https://www.wunderground.com/persona...HOEN75#history

Click on table view

McAllen, TX 4:00 pm 100 °F 34% = 105F

Last edited by kell490; 07-14-2017 at 11:12 PM..

Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 PM

83 posts, read 79,789 times
Today I was talking to a new employee just moved from the east coast and he said even with the humidity we have now does not compare to how bad it was at home.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdum View Post
Today I was talking to a new employee just moved from the east coast and he said even with the humidity we have now does not compare to how bad it was at home.

I lived on the east coast for 50 years and this is not even close to east coast humidity. It might feel bad because our temps here are higher but the dew points and humidity are nothing compared to MA. Sure there are mornings here where you'll feel wet and gross as you walk out the door and there may be days you'll get dew on your car but it burns off rather quick as the sun rises. I've left here when temps were 108 and arrived back east where they were only mid 70's but because of the humidity it was much worse there.

Back east it stays wet and gross all day,I've always had to bring several extra shirts to work most day. You walk out of the house and are instantly wet and the air is so thick it's very hard to breath. I'll take our 115 dry June temps and "suffer" through monsoon season which usually only last around 2 months any day. There can be humid days back east which can start as early as April and while rare, I can remember one January it was so humid my interior garage walls were dripping wet.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:18 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times
all this weather talk is kind of pointless, as the real truth of the matter is everyone tolerates heat/humidity differently, so what one person says is intolerable, another might say is ok to them
I've traveled all over the country and some of the world, and I will say that Phoenix is the hottest place I have EVER been
even thought its hell in Chicago, when its 97 and humidity is 70%, as far as pure oven like baking, Phoenix is the hottest..

Old 07-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post

Click on table view

Those are Personal Weather Stations, I used readings from the official Airport Stations. PWS's don't count

Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM

226 posts, read 227,810 times
It's not so bad now that the humidity has gone up a bit. It's "only" been about 25 - 30%, especially in the mornings. The humidity lowers the daytime temperatures as well. So no, the heat in Phoenix is not that bad. It's uncomfortable for native Phoenicians, but for someone from New Orleans or Tampa, this weather is heavenly.

And Phoenix humidity (if you even want to call it that) is NOTHING compared to Gulf Coast humidity. To compare the two is laughable.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:34 PM

572 posts, read 1,686,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizdum View Post
This. Coming from NY, yes, this heat is sometimes unbearable, but it's nothing compared to 105 degrees with 100% humidity.

I do feel like it got hotter earlier this summer, and has been staying this way longer. Normally we get one burst in May/June, then it calms down until later in the summer. This has just been oppressive. Unless maybe it's getting to me finally this year. It's getting frustrating basically staying indoors most of the summer because of the oppressive heat.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:15 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,379,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I lived on the east coast for 50 years and this is not even close to east coast humidity. It might feel bad because our temps here are higher but the dew points and humidity are nothing compared to MA. Sure there are mornings here where you'll feel wet and gross as you walk out the door and there may be days you'll get dew on your car but it burns off rather quick as the sun rises. I've left here when temps were 108 and arrived back east where they were only mid 70's but because of the humidity it was much worse there.

Back east it stays wet and gross all day,I've always had to bring several extra shirts to work most day. You walk out of the house and are instantly wet and the air is so thick it's very hard to breath. I'll take our 115 dry June temps and "suffer" through monsoon season which usually only last around 2 months any day. There can be humid days back east which can start as early as April and while rare, I can remember one January it was so humid my interior garage walls were dripping wet.
I'm not talking about June temps here this is Monsoon 109 with 26% humidity most people from the east coast spend 5 minutes a day outside In July. How much time do you spend outside here during July - September in a day do you do any yard work or just let someone else do it. If you spend your entire day inside it's easy to deal with the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
This. Coming from NY, yes, this heat is sometimes unbearable, but it's nothing compared to 105 degrees with 100% humidity.

I do feel like it got hotter earlier this summer, and has been staying this way longer. Normally we get one burst in May/June, then it calms down until later in the summer. This has just been oppressive. Unless maybe it's getting to me finally this year. It's getting frustrating basically staying indoors most of the summer because of the oppressive heat.

This is how it is every year here July 4th is usually when humid air starts to get pulled up from Mexico but temps still hit 108 to 112 with humid air while it's not 90% the higher heat drives the heat index much higher. We wait for monsoon rains to cool things down if we're lucky enough to get rain. I always tell people who come here want to know about the heat is to ignore the "Dry heat statement" and visit mid July to see if they can take the heat.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,061 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about June temps here this is Monsoon 109 with 26% humidity most people from the east coast spend 5 minutes a day outside In July. How much time do you spend outside here during July - September in a day do you do any yard work or just let someone else do it. If you spend your entire day inside it's easy to deal with the heat.
Sorry,I don't spend my days locked in an office.

I've worked construction for over 35 years outside so I know well about dealing with the heat and high humidity. I use to walk out my door and be soaked by the time I loaded up my truck most mornings. The summer humidity is a joke here compared to east coast humidity. Not sure where you're getting you info from but I would wager a whole years pay that "most people from the east spend 5 minutes a day outside in July" is far from the truth.

FYI I'm outside most days from July-September here. I realize everyones different with their heat tolerance but don't speculate everyone hibernates here because it's summer!

Last edited by AzScorpion12; 07-15-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Quote:

Click on table view

Well, I'm in Kuwait and it was 126F the other day. A day before that, the heat index hit 140F. So yes, Phoenix is hot but is weak sauce compared to Kuwait.

Per Wikipedia, Kuwait City on average is 10F hotter than Phoenix by day in July. Here when you get out of the pool, you have to jump back in within 5 minutes or less if you are in the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area