Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 10:49 AM

109 posts, read 136,275 times

Advertisements

We visited about 2 weeks ago during what was granted a bit of a heat spell. We have traveled to AZ many times. This time it was to see how bad bad is. Well it was enough to scare us off. Reports had it at 122, I don't know if that is true or not. Tucson wasn't much better in the 116 area. We'd been debating retiring to either Tucson or Phoenix. As much as we wanted to say we could handle it "full time" the sad truth was it was too much for us. In Tucson the high winds kicked up enough pollen and allergens to make my wife have swollen eyes. She's quite a tough gal, and not one to complain but I think that was the final straw. I'd read about "Valley Fever" and I suppose to some extent this was part of what it could be in addition to respiration troubles. I had a dull headache most of the time. We'll continue to travel to AZ and enjoy it's beauty but we found our answer. We're going back to Naples, FL. and sort it out from there (yes, it gets hot there too but nothing like what we experienced) after we retire from CA.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
I'd read about "Valley Fever" and I suppose to some extent this was part of what it could be in addition to respiration troubles. I had a dull headache most of the time.
Did she have "flu-like" symptoms, if not, it probably wasn't Valley Fever. Your headaches could be due to the heat. The desert isn't for everyone, just like the Florida/Southeast humidity isn't for everyone.

At least you didn't go off on a tangent and bash Arizona, which many people do, when they come out to experience the heat and see if they can handle it, much respect for that.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:27 PM

20 posts, read 22,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
rocvc2015, you are definitely bucking the trend which has been to move from the east to the west after retirement! Where in the East are you considering?
Looking for a city with more of a community feel. Now live in an HOA in which about 1/3 of the homes are owned by snowbirds so it seems deserted most of the time. Also looking for a city with better healthcare. (I am a retired physician and practiced here for 12 yrs) So far have narrowed the choices down to Raleigh/Durham and Charleston areas. Still may decide that its not worth all the trouble of moving.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:21 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Fan View Post
We visited about 2 weeks ago during what was granted a bit of a heat spell. We have traveled to AZ many times. This time it was to see how bad bad is. Well it was enough to scare us off. Reports had it at 122, I don't know if that is true or not. Tucson wasn't much better in the 116 area. We'd been debating retiring to either Tucson or Phoenix. As much as we wanted to say we could handle it "full time" the sad truth was it was too much for us. In Tucson the high winds kicked up enough pollen and allergens to make my wife have swollen eyes. She's quite a tough gal, and not one to complain but I think that was the final straw. I'd read about "Valley Fever" and I suppose to some extent this was part of what it could be in addition to respiration troubles. I had a dull headache most of the time. We'll continue to travel to AZ and enjoy it's beauty but we found our answer. We're going back to Naples, FL. and sort it out from there (yes, it gets hot there too but nothing like what we experienced) after we retire from CA.
Yeah, you visited in not just a heat spell but the 4th hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix. I'm glad you found a spot that will work for you though! I personally don't enjoy humid days or flat geography so FL has never been on my radar as a place to live.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:08 AM

924 posts, read 752,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Sometimes I wonder how folks are able to tolerate waiting for the bus/light rail in 110 degrees and air quality but if these folks who are probably older(if not much older) than me can do it...
I always have at least one water bottle with me, and put on a lot of sunscreen before I leave the house. Other than that......since I don't/can't drive, I don't always have a choice other than to wait for the bus sometimes.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, you visited in not just a heat spell but the 4th hottest day ever recorded in Phoenix. I'm glad you found a spot that will work for you though! I personally don't enjoy humid days or flat geography so FL has never been on my radar as a place to live.
To judge Phoenix weather solely on literally one of the hottest days ever is no different than going somewhere in the Midwest in the middle of winter on a 25 below day and not wanting to go back because it's always way too cold.

Yes it's hot here, but that hot is rare.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:21 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
To judge Phoenix weather solely on literally one of the hottest days ever is no different than going somewhere in the Midwest in the middle of winter on a 25 below day and not wanting to go back because it's always way too cold.

Yes it's hot here, but that hot is rare.
It's not the same. 25 below is far below what is normal while 119 is not that much above what the normal temp will be here for the next three months. And it is even worse when it is a little cooler in the monsoon because the mornings and nights both are unbearable along with the day.

What I do think is unreliable is coming here from a cooler place with no time to adapt to the hot temps and then drawing some conclusion one's tolerance. We who live here have been in heat up mode since April. We anticipate it, expect it and to some extent are adapted to it. We will cheer a 95 degree day later this month while people who just got off the plane wrapping in sweaters, coats, and wearing jeans would be in shock.

On the other hand, imagine living in -15 weather for five straight months - the rough other side of the coin! The real problem with the heat is not the occasional 120-ish. It is unrelenting heat from May to October. That is what makes living here unpleasant for many.

All of which makes me think the advice to come visit for a couple days in summer to see if you can take it is a bunch of hooey.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Ponderosa, I totally agree with your assessment.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's not the same. 25 below is far below what is normal while 119 is not that much above what the normal temp will be here for the next three months. And it is even worse when it is a little cooler in the monsoon because the mornings and nights both are unbearable along with the day.

What I do think is unreliable is coming here from a cooler place with no time to adapt to the hot temps and then drawing some conclusion one's tolerance. We who live here have been in heat up mode since April. We anticipate it, expect it and to some extent are adapted to it. We will cheer a 95 degree day later this month while people who just got off the plane wrapping in sweaters, coats, and wearing jeans would be in shock.

On the other hand, imagine living in -15 weather for five straight months - the rough other side of the coin! The real problem with the heat is not the occasional 120-ish. It is unrelenting heat from May to October. That is what makes living here unpleasant for many.

All of which makes me think the advice to come visit for a couple days in summer to see if you can take it is a bunch of hooey.
You completely missed my point. Arriving here on one of the hottest days ever and judging the weather based on that is as silly as going someplace on their ridiculously coldest day ever and judging 365 days if the year based on that one day. Or going to Florida during a hurricane and assuming it's always a hurricane there. That is what I was getting at.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

How is 119 not that much above the normal? Normal is 106-107, that's a pretty big jump and now that we're back to a few degrees above normal (108-110) I find mornings much more tolerable as we're hitting the low 80s or 70s instead of the 90 degree lows that come with 115+ days. I would really struggle with summers if that was normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area