Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:03 PM

386 posts, read 327,871 times

Advertisements

It stays HOT, that includes the the evenings from late May to mid- September. Your pool water is hot. Your running water and hose water are hot. All metal is hot, as well as windows.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Default Is the heat really that bad in Phoenix?

Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
It stays HOT, that includes the the evenings from late May to mid- September. Your pool water is hot. Your running water and hose water are hot. All metal is hot, as well as windows.
Pools don't get Hot, they get to just shy of bathwater temp, and only in July&August, by October 1st, pools are chilly again (below 80)

Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
May? Here are some actual high and low temps from May this year. Not sure what's how about those mornings/evenings and even a lot of the days. I'd take that weather mixed in with a few 100's here and there any day of the week.

June to Mid-Sept are hot, we all know it and expect it. It comes with the territory just like we people in the North know the winter will be cold.

Sun 5/7 74° /64°

Mon 5/8
83/60

Tue 5/9
76/57

5/14
93/70

5/15
88/69

5/16
78/61

5/17
87/62

5/18
86/67

5/19
87/62

5/20
94/68

5/26
96/74

5/27
96/70

Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,579,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
he said San Angelo, NOT San Antonio..
Oops, my fault. Sorry about that.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,890,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Humidity is worse for skin conditions.
I thought humidity is good for skin?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I thought humidity is good for skin?
Google answers seem to agree, it depends.

"There is no yes or no answer to this. It depends on the type of skin a person has. In general, some humidity is good for the skin.

Humidity is necessary for dry skin. It is helpful for people with dry skin and particularly with Eczema (an inflammatory itchy skin condition that starts with dry skin) to have a humidifier in the house during the winter. See also Why does skin dry out during the winter?

However, when humidity gets too high, a person's eczema may actually worsen as sweating will irritate the skin and make it more itchy.

Humidity may actually worsen oily skin and lead to more acne breakouts."

Old 06-21-2017, 12:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
I am from New England. And in my opinion, the hottest days we experienced in NE were not nearly as brutal as the hot days we've spent during our two summers in Phoenix. The NE has humidity, but oppressively hot days last for a very short period. Whereas in PHX the heat is relentless! It seemed as though once the hot weather had begun their was no break for months on end.

The other difficult adjustment was there was no significant cooling down at night. Beautiful place, but I had a very difficult time there during the summers.
Did you move back to New England?

Old 06-21-2017, 02:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
I am from the east coast, I watched the news about a severe heatwave affecting the Arizona area.I am thinking about relocating to Arizona within a year of two and just wondering how bad the heat is down there. The media overexaggerates a lot but it is really unbearable with hot and humidity or is it mainly dry heat.
I'm one who hates the heat, especially when it gets over 110 degrees and lingers on & on like it does during much of the summer. This is why A/C is widely used, and I don't know anybody who doesn't have it. Quite frankly, Phoenix wouldn't be as big as it is without the wonderful invention known as air conditioning. Also, one of the nicer aspects about Phoenix's location is the ability to get away to places 30 degrees cooler within a relatively short time. It's not like the Midwest or much of the SE where it's virtually the same kind of climate no matter where you go. Just over 100 miles from Phoenix are some lush pine forests, and then of course there is coastal CA to the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Google answers seem to agree, it depends.

"There is no yes or no answer to this. It depends on the type of skin a person has. In general, some humidity is good for the skin.

Humidity is necessary for dry skin. It is helpful for people with dry skin and particularly with Eczema (an inflammatory itchy skin condition that starts with dry skin) to have a humidifier in the house during the winter. See also Why does skin dry out during the winter?

However, when humidity gets too high, a person's eczema may actually worsen as sweating will irritate the skin and make it more itchy.

Humidity may actually worsen oily skin and lead to more acne breakouts."
Too much of anything isn't good. The southern states and Florida are where the heat combines with the humidity, and even 90 degrees can be sweltering. Some humidity is good for your body, especially for those with a condition known as Sjogrens Syndrome. This condition is often aggravated or enhanced by dry conditions, and the medications for it have some not so pleasant side effects such as extreme sweating. Basically, moderation is the key.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
I am from the east coast, I watched the news about a severe heatwave affecting the Arizona area.I am thinking about relocating to Arizona within a year of two and just wondering how bad the heat is down there. The media overexaggerates a lot but it is really unbearable with hot and humidity or is it mainly dry heat.

We get bad summers in the east coast but mainly our humidity is unbearable and stifles the air.
With the current heat wave we have, which are sending the afternoon highs to around 118-120 degrees (no humidity), it might as well feel like a hot/humid summer afternoon in the midwest, but thankfully, we don't get that many days. Of course everybody has different levels of tolerance to heat. If you like laying out by a pool with cold drinks, it might not be that bad, but if have to work outside when it's above 110, it might be a problem. Overall, the best place to be on hot summer afternoons is inside, with the comfort of air-conditioning. Generally, if you have to do any work outside, best time to do that is in the morning.

That's normal for the media to over-exaggerate weather reports, especially when day time highs reach around 120, I guess they need something shocking to convey to viewers, besides the usual weather forecasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area