Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM

20,884 posts, read 9,589,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGFL View Post
Let them whine. One thing I LOVE about the heat is when you finish up business somewhere and the office is FREEZING and you can't wait to get outside. And then you step outside and if feels like HEAVEN!
That is, until you get to your car, and open your car door, and it's 150 degrees in there, and it'll take the A/C at least 5 minutes just to get it down to 80 degrees.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 PM

7,192 posts, read 4,777,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
I am from the east coast, I watched the news about a severe heatwave affecting the Arizona area.I am thinking about relocating to Arizona within a year of two and just wondering how bad the heat is down there. The media overexaggerates a lot but it is really unbearable with hot and humidity or is it mainly dry heat.

We get bad summers in the east coast but mainly our humidity is unbearable and stifles the air.
I've been in Phoenix for over 20 years.

Don't be deceived by the "it's a dry heat". After 110 degrees it doesn't matter. It's HOT.

We have three seasons: hot, hotter and hotter than he||.

The media doesn't "overexaggerate".

This isn't for the faint of heart or whiners.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I've been in Phoenix for over 20 years.

Don't be deceived by the "it's a dry heat". After 110 degrees it doesn't matter. It's HOT.

We have three seasons: hot, hotter and hotter than he||.

The media doesn't "overexaggerate".

This isn't for the faint of heart or whiners.
Winter is not hot here. If it were, I wouldn't need a windbreaker in the mornings.

The real description would be mild (winter), very warm (spring&fall) and very hot (summer)

Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGFL View Post
Let them whine. One thing I LOVE about the heat is when you finish up business somewhere and the office is FREEZING and you can't wait to get outside. And then you step outside and if feels like HEAVEN!

I think it is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I just feels glorious (yes, even in 120 degree heat) to feel that wonderful warmth, like a fuzzy blanket wrapping around you to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.
Try working outside in it all day, you'll quickly be singing a different tune.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The only time I ever hear bad things about the heat is on City Data. Sure, the heat is a nuisance but it's not terrible. People adapt to it. The mornings and evenings are fine. I've never spoken to someone who is so vehemently opposed to the heat. We all get it. Yes, it is hot and unpleasant but not the worst thing in the world and much better than a cold winter. But on this forum, there is so much drama and such a histrionic response that I realize it's in their heads. There are certain people that the heat just psychologically affects more. For the vast majority of people, it's not that bad otherwise they wouldn't live here and Phoenix wouldn't have been the fastest growing city in the country last year according to the census data.
Apparently you haven't spoken to many natives or long term residents. I have, and most of us agree that the longer you live here and the older you get, the more intolerant you become to the heat. Of course, not everybody is that way, but the general consensus is that those who haven't been here all that long don't seem to mind it, but the old timers are often the least tolerant. The same concept applies to the younger people as well. When I was a kid, I mowed lawns and did lots of outdoor work in the middle of the day during my summer breaks, and it didn't bother me. Now that I'm over 50, even the slightest bit of heat bothers me. if I'm outside in the heat for any length of time, I get sick headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's psychological. Every summer, you have your crazies who excessively whine about the heat. People are forgetting that May was one of the most cool Mays on record and the bad heat didn't really start until June.
How in the world did you come up with that?! Show us proof that May was one of the coolest on record. And while you're doing that, I'll provide proof that May's average temperature was 81.8 degrees and had 12 days over 100 degrees. It wasn't one of the hotter Mays on record, but it was far from the coolest.

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=psr

Old 07-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Apparently you haven't spoken to many natives or long term residents. I have, and most of us agree that the longer you live here and the older you get, the more intolerant you become to the heat. Of course, not everybody is that way, but the general consensus is that those who haven't been here all that long don't seem to mind it, but the old timers are often the least tolerant. The same concept applies to the younger people as well. When I was a kid, I mowed lawns and did lots of outdoor work in the middle of the day during my summer breaks, and it didn't bother me. Now that I'm over 50, even the slightest bit of heat bothers me. if I'm outside in the heat for any length of time, I get sick headaches.

How in the world did you come up with that?! Show us proof that May was one of the coolest on record. And while you're doing that, I'll provide proof that May's average temperature was 81.8 degrees and had 12 days over 100 degrees. It wasn't one of the hotter Mays on record, but it was far from the coolest.

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo=psr
This may was actually less than 1° below average making it the warmest May we've had in 3 years. Last May and especially May of 15 were WAY cooler. In fact, May of 2015 was over 5° below average!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Try working outside in it all day, you'll quickly be singing a different tune.
I work outside more or less, and I sweat for sure this time of year, but it still beats freezing in a New York winter like I grew up with

Old 07-12-2017, 04:48 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,162,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I work outside more or less, and I sweat for sure this time of year, but it still beats freezing in a New York winter like I grew up with
I would have to disagree my friend, me personally I would rather take the cold but to each their own I suppose.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
to each their own
this one phrase should be pinned to every single weather/heat/temperature/dew point related thread here..

Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 PM

109 posts, read 136,539 times
I understand and agree with the above comments. Yes, we purposely picked a bad time of year and well...got our butts handed to us. Maybe we sabotaged ourselves but it was just too much for us or just maybe these abnormally high temps will become more normal. We'll continue to travel to AZ as it's beauty is breathtaking literally and figuratively (not to be a wiseguy, I couldn't resist) sometimes things are best left as a dream.... when we visit we aren't and won't be in the future concerned with the drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area