Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 AM

872 posts, read 998,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Get a sunshade...NOW.

I realize you may not have needed them in Seattle, but I have always used them long before I moved here. My biggest challenge now is finding one to fit the new car which has a small windshield! For now I am just stuffing my big flexible one there.
Sunshade and tint mixed with cracking your windows really works even without a shaded spot

Old 06-23-2017, 08:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Sunshade and tint mixed with cracking your windows really works even without a shaded spot
I've never cracked the windows and often park in the sun. My new car has tint but my old car did not. A sun shade was sufficient. I have never had any issues with not being able to touch anything in the car.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
To answer the OP's original question, yes it is extremely hot here in the summer. Some love it while others hate it, but if you live here you learn to adjust.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM

226 posts, read 227,345 times
Turn on your oven to 120 degrees (usually the lowest setting) and climb inside for a few minutes or so. That's what Phoenix is like.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 5,297 times
Quote:
Get a sunshade...NOW.

I realize you may not have needed them in Seattle, but I have always used them long before I moved here. My biggest challenge now is finding one to fit the new car which has a small windshield! For now I am just stuffing my big flexible one there.

Ya, I need to make a run to Walmart/Target. I kinda wanted to see where my limit was but I picked a bad week to tough it out. :-)

Old 06-23-2017, 03:16 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA2PHX View Post
Ya, I need to make a run to Walmart/Target. I kinda wanted to see where my limit was but I picked a bad week to tough it out. :-)
I use a sunshade year round here. Even when it is cooler the sun can really do a number on your car's interior

Old 06-23-2017, 03:40 PM

872 posts, read 998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Turn on your oven to 120 degrees (usually the lowest setting) and climb inside for a few minutes or so. That's what Phoenix is like.
I've noticed that it only feels real "oveny" during the peak temp around 4-9 pm when the humidity is in the single digits

The rest time is higher humidity

I could feel the difference going into work at 8am vs noon time and leaving work at 4pm

Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
It hits 120 what 2-4 hours on a day or two in 10 years? Even on Tuesday this week when we hit 119 you could hit the trails at dawn and hike, ride, run in the 80's. It's not like it's 120 for 24 hours a day.

People get all caught up in the peak temperature which happens for a very short period of time each day, just don't go hiking from 9-7 or so an you'll be alright.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:56 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Look, let's face the fact and not dodge around it. Phoenix is hell for 4 months of the year.

I thought I loved the sun coming in to live from NYC, but I couldn't wait for the summer to end in Phoenix. Period. Only thing i really liked was swimming in the pool, especially at night when the sun went down.

But if you can endure the hellish summer, you are rewarded with 8 months of heaven. Endlessly pleasant days which dissolve the memories of summer.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:29 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
^^^^^^^Hahahaha! I was thinking the same thing. It's the long haul that eventually starts to wear on you.
Exactly! Most young people and those who have been in the Phoenix area for a relatively short amount of time don't seem to mind the heat. As a person gets older, the tolerance to the heat often changes, especially after enduring summer after summer of the same monotonous blazing sun & high temperatures. When I was a teenager, I did yard work and cleaned pools in my neighborhood for extra money in the middle of the day ... no problem at all. Now that I'm older, being outside in the heat for 10 minutes feels draining & exhausting. The ability to escape Phoenix periodically during the summer months helps a lot as well.

Quote:
I've heard it said that living in Phoenix during the summer is like spending four months with your butt stuck in a crockpot on SIMMER.
()

Quote:
I use a sunshade year round here. Even when it is cooler the sun can really do a number on your car's interior
It's hard on a vehicle's interior and exterior. Batteries usually don't last very long in Phoenix because of the intensity of the sun & heat. Belts, brakes, hoses, and even tires are worn down faster as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area