Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:17 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Enjoying this discussion and sorry for the tangent - Unless you are talking about folks considering withdrawing more than their total contributions before they turn 59-1/2, no taxes will be due on a Roth IRA distribution. Assuming laws don't change.(not a given, crossing fingers for the next umpteen years)
I should not have said Roth. That is post tax income. My bad... I was referring to 401K or KEOG type plans. For years, I refused to fund them and my accountant said that I was crazy. I wanted to know what I had after tax.

The exclusive reason why tax deferred is beneficial is because we assume we will be in a lower tax bracket. This assumes that something like Universal Healthcare won't make the rates go way up and dissolve any possible lower tax rates.

Assuming my financial planner is right, we have to start drawing down the distribution (I think he said y the late 60's; I forget). In my case and in today dollars, we will get north of $5K a month with social security and as the laws are currently written, more or less "tax free".

When people start paying taxes on the tax deferred money that you have to draw, now your social security power is diminished. So what you get in your pocket is related to how you have your retirement structured. Therefore, a million or two in a Roth, KEOG or IRA isn't really $1 or $2M. Because you haven't paid your taxes on it yet AND it will dilute your social security income. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM

105 posts, read 84,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I should not have said Roth.

Therefore, a million or two in a Roth, KEOG or IRA isn't really $1 or $2M. Because you haven't paid your taxes on it yet AND it will dilute your social security income. That was my point.

Did you just say it again? You must've meant 401K. Roth distributions have no impact on your social security benefits.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Did you just say it again? You must've meant 401K. Roth distributions have no impact on your social security benefits.
Guilty as charged.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
There's a chance for me to leave the country due to visa issues. But I'll be back in a year or 2.

Should I sell or rent out the house I bought in early 2017? It is now appreciated by 15%.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 PM

42 posts, read 48,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
There's a chance for me to leave the country due to visa issues. But I'll be back in a year or 2.

Should I sell or rent out the house I bought in early 2017? It is now appreciated by 15%.
I always have the opinion that if you can keep property and make rental income while growing equity that's the better bet.

I don't foresee a situation where you are at risk of losing tons of equity even if there is a recession in the next year or two and by all measures and reports I've seen the rental demand here isn't going anywhere.

Assuming you can still make money or even break even with a property manager while you are away, i think that would be what I would do.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchurainprez View Post
I always have the opinion that if you can keep property and make rental income while growing equity that's the better bet.

I don't foresee a situation where you are at risk of losing tons of equity even if there is a recession in the next year or two and by all measures and reports I've seen the rental demand here isn't going anywhere.

Assuming you can still make money or even break even with a property manager while you are away, i think that would be what I would do.
I'd do the same. Selling and buying fees add up. If you like your current place, rent it out. You might even be able to convince the new temporary tenant to keep x amount of personal items like furniture in the home. That might save the hassle of moving things twice or storage fees.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:

If you're planning to come back, just rent it out till then. If you're not coming back, sell it would be my recommendation.

I rent 3 houses in Phoenix area since 2011 through a property management company.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,079 times
Thanks guys (manchura, MNborn&raised and TT)!

Building equity is my number 1 purpose. I like my house so much and I love staying there once my resident status becomes stable. While I'm away, I will be in our overseas office in Asia, hence, I won't be earning as much as I earn here. I will be hiring property management who can handle everything, I don't mind paying few extra $$ per month.

I still have time to actually work on my visa, my lawyer is working diligently on it so wish me luck guys! I'd rather not go anywhere.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Thanks guys (manchura, MNborn&raised and TT)!

Building equity is my number 1 purpose. I like my house so much and I love staying there once my resident status becomes stable. While I'm away, I will be in our overseas office in Asia, hence, I won't be earning as much as I earn here. I will be hiring property management who can handle everything, I don't mind paying few extra $$ per month.

I still have time to actually work on my visa, my lawyer is working diligently on it so wish me luck guys! I'd rather not go anywhere.
I don't understand your comments about the visa concern, not that it related specifically to the topic of renting the house out, etc.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 AM

277 posts, read 276,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I don't understand your comments about the visa concern, not that it related specifically to the topic of renting the house out, etc.
He said he was having issues with his visa situation and he has to leave until it’s sorted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area