Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 12:20 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times

Advertisements

If anything wfh has increased the demand for homes with an extra bedroom or office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If anything wfh has increased the demand for homes with an extra bedroom or office.
Ah, never thought of that!!

Old 01-28-2019, 09:05 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Purely anecdotal on my part, but I used to live in one of the historic neighborhoods near downtown. I'm not a very social person and I ran into at least 5-6 people that worked in California and lived in our neighborhood. We were 10 minutes from the airport and easy access to flights to L.A., San Francisco or Silicon Valley.

Typical work scenario for one of my neighbors was work from home and fly into work twice a month for office meetings. Spend 1-2 nights at a friends or co-workers guest room and fly back to Phoenix.

One reason the neighbors use to call it "funny money" driving up the house prices in our neighborhood. Stuff that sold for $250,000 four years ago is now $500,000. A fixer upper starts at almost $300,000. The prices rose so fast it made you scratch your head. But still vastly cheaper than what an historic bungalow would set you back in California.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:07 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
All I know is prices are too high for my income (and I make decent money) so I'm looking at relocating to San Antonio or El Paso/Las Cruces where housing is still affordable for those not wanting a quarter million+ dollar house or condo,

Old 01-30-2019, 06:41 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
All I know is prices are too high for my income (and I make decent money) so I'm looking at relocating to San Antonio or El Paso/Las Cruces where housing is still affordable for those not wanting a quarter million+ dollar house or condo,
I heard that san antoniois dope but how is el paso? Keep in mind that in texas, you will have much higher property taxes and i heard the salaries out there are lower than most cities', including Phoenix. On the plus side, there is no state income tax there.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yep, that's why I'm wondering if the fact many people can work remotely now has any significant affect on Metro housing prices in more expensive areas. My guess is "not much."

I suppose if one still like small town or rural living and/or had relatives they wanted to move to be closer to in those areas, it would, of course, be cheaper for them. However, probably doesn't happen enough to affect Metro prices much.
Like I said...we looked at it. The In-Laws are are up in Rim Country and for a while there we were considering the much less expensive way of life. Our daughter would have loved a horse property, the housing was less expensive and, with the exception of weekends when all of Metro Phoenix decides to go camping, there are less people. Downsides is the schools are questionable, our son would have been absolutely miserable (he is much more of a city kid), there is really nothing to do for kids unless they are into the "Great Outdoors" (which is one of the reasons there are problems with the youth up there) and, working remotely, I wasn't going to be real comfortable with the single threaded Data connectivity issues up there.

So, after weighing pros and cons, we are in the Valley.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:10 PM

784 posts, read 923,515 times
As Californians and other west coast high taxed people start to do their taxes this year some are going to be in for a huge surprise over the Trump tax cut law finally doing away with us subsidizing their SALT taxes all these years...now they only get to deduct up to $10,000......

Some are going to end up in Phoenix trying to get away from getting hit hard again next year....should supply a steady stream of buyers for the next 4-6 years....I'm sure Pelosi is going to try and do away with it but you can bet Trump will veto any such thing.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
As Californians and other west coast high taxed people start to do their taxes this year some are going to be in for a huge surprise over the Trump tax cut law finally doing away with us subsidizing their SALT taxes all these years...now they only get to deduct up to $10,000......

Some are going to end up in Phoenix trying to get away from getting hit hard again next year....should supply a steady stream of buyers for the next 4-6 years....I'm sure Pelosi is going to try and do away with it but you can bet Trump will veto any such thing.
Yes, you would think so. I'm in escrow on a two bedroom condo in Paradise Valley right now. Offer was accepted at 15 grand more than the last two bedroom that sold in my condo complex because this condo has a better location ( view of courtyard, corner unit, pool right off my balcony, etc.). That price is still lower than the peak sale price for this condo back in 2006. To be accurate, it's on the Paradise Valley/Scottsdale border and what I'd actually consider Central Scottsdale.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post

My homies back home are getting SCREWED. Since I have a tax/financial background, I knew the damage I would face if I stayed in California. I sold my house and got the hell out.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 AM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
My homies back home are getting SCREWED. Since I have a tax/financial background, I knew the damage I would face if I stayed in California. I sold my house and got the hell out.
Same. I have this feeling like I caught the last train out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area