Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM

277 posts, read 277,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I don't understand your comments about the visa concern, not that it related specifically to the topic of renting the house out, etc.
Good luck on your legal battle hopefully it is resolved soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:51 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
ShampooBanana et al. - one leading indicator for housing I like are random lumber futures. They crashed last summer/fall, presaging the current weakness in the housing sector. However, they are recovering nicely, foretelling coming strength (also in the general economy).

Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,382,549 times
Quote:
I don't understand your comments about the visa concern, not that it related specifically to the topic of renting the house out, etc.
I came here with a legal working visa for 2 years, I'm entitled to extend it to another 2 years until I reach the maximum of 5 years stay. The last extension given to me was only 5 months ( instead of one year). My visa will be up by May this then I will be repatriated.

About coming back, I have a pending green card application. But it still far-fetched, I expect to have it in 2020.

Sorry for the off topic.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,382,549 times
If I were to relate my situation to the topic, we know that in some places like the Bay Area and Seattle, house/rental prices are highly driven by the demand from foreign investors and non-immigrant workers.

I don't know if DHS or whatever agency who is responsible, should review the policy about foreign investors buying US property/properties. Phoenix is becoming hot to foreign investors/workers and chances that this city will be another San Francisco or Seattle where your only option is to rent.

In Singapore and now in New Zealand, foreigners are only allowed to buy private properties >$1M price. Subsidized housing are reserved for citizens.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
If I were to relate my situation to the topic, we know that in some places like the Bay Area and Seattle, house/rental prices are highly driven by the demand from foreign investors and non-immigrant workers.

I don't know if DHS or whatever agency who is responsible, should review the policy about foreign investors buying US property/properties. Phoenix is becoming hot to foreign investors/workers and chances that this city will be another San Francisco or Seattle where your only option is to rent.

In Singapore and now in New Zealand, foreigners are only allowed to buy private properties >$1M price. Subsidized housing are reserved for citizens.
What data supports that Phoenix is becoming hot for foreign investors (other than perhaps Canadians)?

I'm very familiar with the Seattle market and Microsoft and then Amazon were driving the prices up and foreign investors just added fuel to the burning flame. If they invest heavily in Phoenix, it will drive the prices up.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:56 PM

102 posts, read 111,717 times
Default Market

Prices are expected to continue to rise this year. We all know what must go up must go down. We all know real estate is cyclical. We have been in an up market for some time. I believe we will go up for a fore more years, level off and then not sure what will happen. However, by the time we go down-if someone bought now, they probably would just be at balanced equity if the market goes down and then it would go right back up anyway. 2008 will not occur again for a long time. We are at a massive shortage of inventory, and homes are still selling; and for Phoenix specifically--we finally have solid employment and more than just tourism or cheap homes driving our economy.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,094,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
ShampooBanana et al. - one leading indicator for housing I like are random lumber futures. They crashed last summer/fall, presaging the current weakness in the housing sector. However, they are recovering nicely, foretelling coming strength (also in the general economy).
Lower lumber prices are GOOD for builders and consumers because it means builders can build for cheaper, which means they need to sell for as high to achieve same margins, which means more affordability for the consumer. No doubt the cheaper lumber prices lately have helped builders keep prices lower as demand waned in the last quarter so it didn't hit their bottom lines as badly as it might have otherwise. Still, lumber overall isn't that big of a component of overall house costs as land and labor when talking overall building costs. The latter two continue to rise and aren't helping at all with affordability across the country, and not likely to alleviate with continuing scarcity of qualified labor to go along with ever decreasing amounts of available land and lots in most major metro areas.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,749 times
I'm curious if there has been any affect on housing prices generally because of the ability now to live in a cheaper area and work from home via the internet, etc? Seems generally this might have some affect on housing prices because of this ability..e.g. One can pay less if one doesn't "have" to go to work each day physically in a major Metro area?

Or maybe this phenomenon doesn't have much affect. Thoughts??

Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Quote:
I'm curious if there has been any affect on housing prices generally because of the ability now to live in a cheaper area and work from home via the internet, etc? Seems generally this might have some affect on housing prices because of this ability..e.g. One can pay less if one doesn't "have" to go to work each day physically in a major Metro area?

Or maybe this phenomenon doesn't have much affect. Thoughts??
We thought about it...but, and speaking as someone who is raising kids, we bought in an area that we wanted to live in. We also needed some additional square footage for my office. Could we move to a less expensive area or even out of the Phoenix Metro...sure but you have to look at all of your quality of life factors.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,306,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
We thought about it...but, and speaking as someone who is raising kids, we bought in an area that we wanted to live in. We also needed some additional square footage for my office. Could we move to a less expensive area or even out of the Phoenix Metro...sure but you have to look at all of your quality of life factors.
Yep, that's why I'm wondering if the fact many people can work remotely now has any significant affect on Metro housing prices in more expensive areas. My guess is "not much."

I suppose if one still like small town or rural living and/or had relatives they wanted to move to be closer to in those areas, it would, of course, be cheaper for them. However, probably doesn't happen enough to affect Metro prices much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area