Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,288 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should buy a big truck and carry concealed handgun. Got to fight fire with fire

Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
I initially thought the city was too big, but it's getting smaller.

I seemed to have discovered the "magic time" for commuting to work.

I find the service workers very friendly and polite in general. This contrasts many of the service workers in Alberta, Canada that seem to hate every moment of life and make sure you know it.

The driving is mostly good, except for the amazingly insecure guys driving the big 4WD's. What's with them? They're not happy with anyone in front of them. They drive like they could take on anyone, but they're puny. Any backbone they have is only in place when in their truck behind their darked out windows. Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable. Had a guy and a girl flip out because they drove into a CVS parking lot way too fast as I was about to pull across in front of them. I stopped when I saw them...but not good enough, they both flipped out and it wasn't even a near miss. They went by with at least 10 feet between us. It was sort of disturbing to see how angry they got. I can only imagine their life together at home, never any happiness, just anger, resentment, maybe hatred. hmmm....maybe I won't last in this city. But, I'll give it a good try. I hope I don't see that kind of crap too often.

Grocery prices are quite acceptable.

I'd like to see gas a little lower in price.

Went to Home Depot to shop prices for a little backyard project. I saw what I expected, very overpriced low quality lumber. Will have to shop around the other stores I guess.

I discovered the 303, I nice quick route from south to north, not quite as much traffic as the 101 so it seemed.

I discovered the Ranch Market. I feel like I'm in Mexico. Quality meat and other things and a lot of Mexican groceries including great ceviche.

Question: How many of the homeless on the streets with signs asking for help are honest. Do they just need a meal and some water or a few dollars for food, or will they spend it on an addiction? I'm not blind and hardened to it yet. I hope never to be.

Ceviche is Peruvian. When I was driving my BMW 750I, I passed a jacked up red neck truck and when he got the chance he passed me going probably over 100 mph is a more that could have killed us off...it made me realize that I need to respect the inner red neck of Phoenix.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 PM

153 posts, read 135,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Perhaps you should buy a big truck and carry concealed handgun. Got to fight fire with fire
Well Donald..........yah...sorry, got nothing. Don't know how to reply to that. There is some humor in there though...kind of funny.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Ceviche is Peruvian. When I was driving my BMW 750I, I passed a jacked up red neck truck and when he got the chance he passed me going probably over 100 mph is a more that could have killed us off...it made me realize that I need to respect the inner red neck of Phoenix.
Well, yes Peruvian, Mexican...all depends on whether there is a coastline. We got sick off Peruvian ceviche and we were warned by our Ecuadorian lawyer...she told us to stay away from it.

And yes, the word "respect" has more than one meaning. In the case of the inner red neck of Phoenix it means keep your distance, don't make eye contact....they aren't worth the time of day.

Last edited by Chairmaker13; 04-01-2019 at 11:57 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestoneangler View Post
Are you from Alberta? Are large trucks, aggressive drivers and homeless people not an issue there?
We were from a smaller town in Alberta, and there was some minor red neck aggression, but they were wrapped much less tight than these folks in Phoenix.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I didn't consider the gun comment to be a sneer, but a fairly accurate observation based on the amount of mass shootings we have compared to other first world countries

As for the aggressive truck drivers...they're just as likely to be female these days as they are male. So stop stereotyping on gender, folks.
The stereotyping is too easy. I've seen them thar "females" driving trucks and they drive nothing like the wrapped too tight testosterone-laden men. But.....I will revise my opinion in a heartbeat when I see different. I take pride in not having tunnel vision....lol (that comment should get me in lots of trouble).

Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not sure what you mean by this. Phoenix is not getting smaller by any means.
That comment is related to the statement "it's a small world" which in turn comes from maybe meeting someone you live down the street from 7000 miles away while on vacation. As I get out and around in Phoenix the city "feels" less large. It is getting smaller from my perspective only.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I'm from D/FW Texas and there are more "bro dozers" and "mall crawlers" here than in Texas. Texas has a reputation for big things too but there are more of these stupid pointless trucks in Phoenix. They all have to install exhausts so they can all sound the same and do body lifts so they can be bigger than everyone else even though it's not functional.

Now I'm not saying all of them, but there is a high percentage of these dumb ****s and I could deal without them.

Same with ricers but those are funny, the bro-dozers are just plain stupid.
You made me laugh...thank you. Too true, "rice burners" or "bro-dozers", they are both sadly funny and stupid.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I'm from D/FW Texas and there are more "bro dozers" and "mall crawlers" here than in Texas. Texas has a reputation for big things too but there are more of these stupid pointless trucks in Phoenix. They all have to install exhausts so they can all sound the same and do body lifts so they can be bigger than everyone else even though it's not functional.

Now I'm not saying all of them, but there is a high percentage of these dumb ****s and I could deal without them.

Same with ricers but those are funny, the bro-dozers are just plain stupid.
Maybe you should go back to DFW or better yet some nanny state where they have bumper/lift laws! I mean really why complain about what other people do with their trucks? So what if they want to jack up their trucks, it's not your money there wasting. As far as aggressive drivers I've been tailgated by more people driving a regular vehicle than these big trucks,mostly those mini van drivers. What's next complain about people who are in Corvette clubs because you think they're wanna be race car drivers? Better yet why not go over to Paradise Valley and complain about all these rich people living in their big mansions when they could easily be living in a more modest 2200 sq ft house!

Last edited by AzScorpion12; 04-02-2019 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 08:21 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,661,613 times
I don't see too much of this "truck issue." Maybe I am use to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area