Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's my peeve also, the freeway entrance ramps are called "The Acceleration Lanes" for a reason To Accelerate! Yet a lot of motorists seem to get on at surface street speeds.

There were times when I was stopped in the left turn lanes on red arrows, with a number of vehicles ahead of me, and when the arrow turned green, I ended up staying for another red arrow thanks to some motorists who tend to either get busy with their cell phones and don't watch the change of the arrow, and/or they take off at a snail's pace! [/color][/b]
Agreed. These incidents are extremely annoying. Even more maddening are the ones who do these things in traffic and either defend their actions, or retaliate against others who become annoyed. A prime example is the family who was targeted by a homicidal maniac a few days ago. He was upset because the family car cut him off on the freeway, so he followed them home and shot the father & the daughter. They certainly didn't deserve that kind of retaliation. Getting cut off in traffic occurs regularly ... it has happened to me, and to just about everybody at some point. The best thing to do when that happens is let the person pass and GET OVER IT!

We hear about too many of these road rage altercations, as well plenty of other traffic incidents (such as wrong way drivers). I'm convinced that DLs are handed out way too liberally because there are many people out there who certainly don't deserve the privilege of operating a vehicle. We have more than enough traffic as it is anyway. Reducing the number of licenses issued would cut back on traffic congestion, make people find other ways of commuting, as well as likely reduce the number of accidents, road rage incidents, etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:10 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We hear about too many of these road rage altercations, as well plenty of other traffic incidents (such as wrong way drivers). I'm convinced that DLs are handed out way too liberally because there are many people out there who certainly don't deserve the privilege of operating a vehicle. We have more than enough traffic as it is anyway. Reducing the number of licenses issued would cut back on traffic congestion, make people find other ways of commuting, as well as likely reduce the number of accidents, road rage incidents, etc.
Everyone 18 years and older should be required to have a City-Data account so they can post here about the outrageous behavior of other drivers.

That would probably do more to alleviate road rage incidents than anything else.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,876,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep. they want to enforce their speed limit on you.

To be fair, I was really frustrated by the people in Arizona that hand out in the left land and ride along someone in the slow lane preventing anyone from going faster...
Are you talking the left hand lane or car pool lane/diamond lane. The car pool lane is not there for you to speed and pass people. I have no problem simply going around someone that is driving the speed limit in the diamond lane.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Are you talking the left hand lane or car pool lane/diamond lane. The car pool lane is not there for you to speed and pass people. I have no problem simply going around someone that is driving the speed limit in the diamond lane.
It depends on the time of day though. During non-HOV hours, it is the left-most general travel lane and should be treated as such. Many seem to fail to understand that.

It does beg the question though, what is the point of someone putzing along in the HOV lane? Why not choose a middle lane? Impeding the flow, even in the HOV lane, can cause a considerable amount of congestion and forces people to dangerously pass on the right, as you admit to doing.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:53 PM

30,388 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Not talking about the car pool lanes.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 PM

335 posts, read 975,202 times
Why do drivers in the Phoenix metro area constantly make U-turns at the left turn signal of a traffic light?

Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
Why do drivers in the Phoenix metro area constantly make U-turns at the left turn signal of a traffic light?
To go the opposite direction. Usually when there’s a median preventing an earlier left turn.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 36,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
You are right. The AZ truck scene is laughable.

Most of these urban cowboys don't realize how absolutely dumb they look driving these things, not using turn signals, speeding, etc. When I rented a house in Scottsdale, it was always the guys taking their big ol trucks back to their 1200 sqft ranch houses, knowing the truck was the prized possession.

These trucks cost more than the average Phoenix household income, so, statistically, the big toy is probably on a long-term financial repayment period (60+ months) at 4% interest.

80% it's a white dude with a goatee and sunglasses driving. Cardinal or any license plate with a flag or support our troops is a guaranteed ****ing retard.

I almost got hit once by one of these guys in a big truck while in Peoria: extended cab, the extra wide wheels in the back, didn't bother to stop. He got out of his car, and to this day I'll never forget it: 5'4, fat, wife was a slovenly mess. That pretty much summed up AZ big truck Bro dozer culture to me. Buncha redneck vying for the title for biggest incompetent turd on the road.

And yeah, it's rampant here. And yeah, I tell everyone who visits to watch out for trucks here; most people notice they're just fitting the AZ stereotype.
Take that smug attitude back with you to the Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, or what ever liberal “utopia” you came from. What’s wrong with supporting our troops, being a “white dude”, or wearing sunglasses in Arizona ? You sound either jealous you can’t afford a nice truck and/or upset that you havnt found a way for the government to regulate who buys/drives them. I don’t feel very “dumb” driving a Truck that can safely carry 3 young kids, haul/tow the outdoor gear, get me almost anywhere off-road or to flagstaff in a snow storm, all while still being a very comfortable daily driver. What’s more practical for Arizona living; a $50K truck or $35K Prius or $100K + Tesla? I warn people about the spread of costal state liberal elitism coming from our neighbors to the west as try to change our state to be like the one they are fleeing...

Old 04-08-2019, 05:36 PM

695 posts, read 998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The phenomenon you describe, i.e. insecure guys driving big 4WD trucks and hiding behind blacked out windows seems ubiquitous. It's not just in Arizona.

Here in Colorado they love the turbo diesel trucks which makes them very effective road warriors. That engine can push the truck to 90 mph quite quickly. They generally stay in the left lane and thoroughly enjoy pushing the slow pokes over.

I must admit, it works. When I am driving my mid-size sedan and my rear view mirror is suddenly filled by a RAM Grille, I move over!

I think that the evolution in society has make many men feeling powerless. Perhaps a big truck temporarily returns that feeling of power. If so, that's a dopamine high for those folks. I never mess with them.
Lots of big trucks everywhere. Something for everyone. But, I don't really appreciate them tailing on my bumper with high beams before passing me, and I realize they are generally going to drive much faster than someone in a sedan, but I try to steer clear of them in general and give them the space they need.

Last edited by olderandwiser456; 04-08-2019 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Since this thread quickly turned into a discussion about trucks and aggressive drivers, which topic has nothing to do with the city of Phoenix, the thread is off-topic for the forum and is now closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area