Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:49 AM

153 posts, read 135,835 times

Advertisements

I initially thought the city was too big, but it's getting smaller.

I seemed to have discovered the "magic time" for commuting to work.

I find the service workers very friendly and polite in general. This contrasts many of the service workers in Alberta, Canada that seem to hate every moment of life and make sure you know it.

The driving is mostly good, except for the amazingly insecure guys driving the big 4WD's. What's with them? They're not happy with anyone in front of them. They drive like they could take on anyone, but they're puny. Any backbone they have is only in place when in their truck behind their darked out windows. Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable. Had a guy and a girl flip out because they drove into a CVS parking lot way too fast as I was about to pull across in front of them. I stopped when I saw them...but not good enough, they both flipped out and it wasn't even a near miss. They went by with at least 10 feet between us. It was sort of disturbing to see how angry they got. I can only imagine their life together at home, never any happiness, just anger, resentment, maybe hatred. hmmm....maybe I won't last in this city. But, I'll give it a good try. I hope I don't see that kind of crap too often.

Grocery prices are quite acceptable.

I'd like to see gas a little lower in price.

Went to Home Depot to shop prices for a little backyard project. I saw what I expected, very overpriced low quality lumber. Will have to shop around the other stores I guess.

I discovered the 303, I nice quick route from south to north, not quite as much traffic as the 101 so it seemed.

I discovered the Ranch Market. I feel like I'm in Mexico. Quality meat and other things and a lot of Mexican groceries including great ceviche.

Question: How many of the homeless on the streets with signs asking for help are honest. Do they just need a meal and some water or a few dollars for food, or will they spend it on an addiction? I'm not blind and hardened to it yet. I hope never to be.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
The phenomenon you describe, i.e. insecure guys driving big 4WD trucks and hiding behind blacked out windows seems ubiquitous. It's not just in Arizona.

Here in Colorado they love the turbo diesel trucks which makes them very effective road warriors. That engine can push the truck to 90 mph quite quickly. They generally stay in the left lane and thoroughly enjoy pushing the slow pokes over.

I must admit, it works. When I am driving my mid-size sedan and my rear view mirror is suddenly filled by a RAM Grille, I move over!

I think that the evolution in society has make many men feeling powerless. Perhaps a big truck temporarily returns that feeling of power. If so, that's a dopamine high for those folks. I never mess with them.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:36 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
To answer your question I used to live near downtown Phoenix and saw the same homeless people on a regular basis. On some street corners I've seen the regulars staked out on the corner for 4-5 years and get into fights with anyone who tries to take over the good corners. My opinion after seeing what was around my old neighborhood, most were using the money to purchase drugs or alcohol. Any left over money was spent on fast food. One day I stood in line at the grocery store behind one of the regular fixtures on my local intersection. She was buying 4 quarts of cheap malt liquor, a bag of chips and a few candy bars with the money she made begging for money.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 AM

938 posts, read 446,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The phenomenon you describe, i.e. insecure guys driving big 4WD trucks and hiding behind blacked out windows seems ubiquitous. It's not just in Arizona.

Here in Colorado they love the turbo diesel trucks which makes them very effective road warriors. That engine can push the truck to 90 mph quite quickly. They generally stay in the left lane and thoroughly enjoy pushing the slow pokes over.

I must admit, it works. When I am driving my mid-size sedan and my rear view mirror is suddenly filled by a RAM Grille, I move over!

I think that the evolution in society has make many men feeling powerless. Perhaps a big truck temporarily returns that feeling of power. If so, that's a dopamine high for those folks. I never mess with them.
Not every guy who drives a 4WD truck is 'insecure,' you're generalizing.

Would you be OK with somebody negatively generalizing about a race of minority people? How about generalizing about somebody's sexual preference? Religion?
Be honest.

And, yes, stereotypes exist for a reason.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:31 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Most of those people behind the wheel of big pickups are midwest snowbirds who tow their 5th wheel to Arizona for the winter. Anyway, Canadians should stay out of the left hand lanes. They are just not capable of the lawlessness and risk taking behavior that fast lane driving in Arizona requires.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Not every guy who drives a 4WD truck is 'insecure,' you're generalizing.
So far, I'm not generalizing. But it is my perspective, what I've seen personally....there is a whole city of these trucks out there. But so far everyone in these loud fast 4WD's has displayed a need to "assert" themselves. I'll post an update when I see different.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I guess I just don't understand this need for power or dominance over others. I'll never understand it, but I am forced to accept the reality of it on the road.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
To answer your question I used to live near downtown Phoenix and saw the same homeless people on a regular basis. On some street corners I've seen the regulars staked out on the corner for 4-5 years and get into fights with anyone who tries to take over the good corners. My opinion after seeing what was around my old neighborhood, most were using the money to purchase drugs or alcohol. Any left over money was spent on fast food. One day I stood in line at the grocery store behind one of the regular fixtures on my local intersection. She was buying 4 quarts of cheap malt liquor, a bag of chips and a few candy bars with the money she made begging for money.
Thanks for this reply. It helps confirm my suspicions.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
So far, I'm not generalizing. But it is my perspective, what I've seen personally....there is a whole city of these trucks out there. But so far everyone in these loud fast 4WD's has displayed a need to "assert" themselves. I'll post an update when I see different.
What’s it like being able to get into the mind of another motorist? How do you know they’re not just in a hurry?

Old 03-31-2019, 10:21 AM

Did I mention the sunny days here. I love them.

I've completed learning a new skill. Ignoring the haters and antagonists. I can apply that here on the road and equally here on this forum. The forum has a great tool called ignore list, it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area