Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I agree, but what is really 'funny' is the replies you got to this post in this thread. And not 'funny' haha.
There wasn't a lot of deep thinking going on in those replies.

There are at least 300 million firearms in this country and about 330 million people. To imply that everyone who owns a gun is mentally ill is indefensible. To imply that legal and responsible gun owners are to blame for school shootings -- well, I have no words.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:53 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beez74 View Post
I don't know about the whole redneck stuff because that part never really crossed my mind but the abundance of lifted trucks thing does exist.......Its one of the 1st things I noticed when I 1st came here to visit as well as one of the 1st things my family mentioned during their visit recently. I own an AWD car and was kinda happy to come here and save a few bucks on gas knowing my AWD wasn't gonna kick on to much then was shocked to see so many huge 4WD trucks on the road.
I grew up in Louisiana and Texas but have lived the last couple decades in the PNW, Phoenix seems more like Texas than Seattle including the lifted pickups and Hellcats....and that's mostly a good thing we (wife and I) feel.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I grew up in Louisiana and Texas but have lived the last couple decades in the PNW, Phoenix seems more like Texas than Seattle including the lifted pickups and Hellcats....and that's mostly a good thing we (wife and I) feel.
A lot of people want to make sure this is still the wild west!

I drive a tiny car so all cars are big to me, but I have also noticed an abundance of giant, lifted trucks. They like to take up multiple parking spaces, too

Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 PM

90 posts, read 69,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Because in Texas there are way more properly tuned cars in the scene than here. Here it's all ricers and stupid big trucks that have no functionality.
You are right. The AZ truck scene is laughable.

Most of these urban cowboys don't realize how absolutely dumb they look driving these things, not using turn signals, speeding, etc. When I rented a house in Scottsdale, it was always the guys taking their big ol trucks back to their 1200 sqft ranch houses, knowing the truck was the prized possession.

These trucks cost more than the average Phoenix household income, so, statistically, the big toy is probably on a long-term financial repayment period (60+ months) at 4% interest.

80% it's a white dude with a goatee and sunglasses driving. Cardinal or any license plate with a flag or support our troops is a guaranteed ****ing retard.

I almost got hit once by one of these guys in a big truck while in Peoria: extended cab, the extra wide wheels in the back, didn't bother to stop. He got out of his car, and to this day I'll never forget it: 5'4, fat, wife was a slovenly mess. That pretty much summed up AZ big truck Bro dozer culture to me. Buncha redneck vying for the title for biggest incompetent turd on the road.

And yeah, it's rampant here. And yeah, I tell everyone who visits to watch out for trucks here; most people notice they're just fitting the AZ stereotype.

Last edited by newtoaz20172; 04-03-2019 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 05:10 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree Phoenix is a lot more like Texas, Dallas anyway, than Seattle.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,707,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
I initially thought the city was too big, but it's getting smaller.

I seemed to have discovered the "magic time" for commuting to work.

I find the service workers very friendly and polite in general. This contrasts many of the service workers in Alberta, Canada that seem to hate every moment of life and make sure you know it.

The driving is mostly good, except for the amazingly insecure guys driving the big 4WD's. What's with them? They're not happy with anyone in front of them. They drive like they could take on anyone, but they're puny. Any backbone they have is only in place when in their truck behind their darked out windows. Oh well, I just let them go by always keeping in mind how many Americans have guns and are not mentally stable. Had a guy and a girl flip out because they drove into a CVS parking lot way too fast as I was about to pull across in front of them. I stopped when I saw them...but not good enough, they both flipped out and it wasn't even a near miss. They went by with at least 10 feet between us. It was sort of disturbing to see how angry they got. I can only imagine their life together at home, never any happiness, just anger, resentment, maybe hatred. hmmm....maybe I won't last in this city. But, I'll give it a good try. I hope I don't see that kind of crap too often.

Grocery prices are quite acceptable.

I'd like to see gas a little lower in price.

Went to Home Depot to shop prices for a little backyard project. I saw what I expected, very overpriced low quality lumber. Will have to shop around the other stores I guess.

I discovered the 303, I nice quick route from south to north, not quite as much traffic as the 101 so it seemed.

I discovered the Ranch Market. I feel like I'm in Mexico. Quality meat and other things and a lot of Mexican groceries including great ceviche.

Question: How many of the homeless on the streets with signs asking for help are honest. Do they just need a meal and some water or a few dollars for food, or will they spend it on an addiction? I'm not blind and hardened to it yet. I hope never to be.

I'm glad you're liking things, but I'm not sure that most people would consider it a benefit to feel like we're in Mexico.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I'm glad you're liking things, but I'm not sure that most people would consider it a benefit to feel like we're in Mexico.
Mexico is fun. Gotta live your life man. Travel, experience things.

Los Altos has good stuff too. OP is right about that.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Maybe you should go back to DFW or better yet some nanny state where they have bumper/lift laws! I mean really why complain about what other people do with their trucks? So what if they want to jack up their trucks, it's not your money there wasting. As far as aggressive drivers I've been tailgated by more people driving a regular vehicle than these big trucks,mostly those mini van drivers. What's next complain about people who are in Corvette clubs because you think they're wanna be race car drivers? Better yet why not go over to Paradise Valley and complain about all these rich people living in their big mansions when they could easily be living in a more modest 2200 sq ft house!
They have every right to jack up their truck, but not drive like an idiot UNTIL they kill a pedestrian. We have every right to make fun of them for being a stupid red neck, no laws or bans are necessary.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,629,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoaz20172 View Post
You are right. The AZ truck scene is laughable.

Most of these urban cowboys don't realize how absolutely dumb they look driving these things, not using turn signals, speeding, etc. When I rented a house in Scottsdale, it was always the guys taking their big ol trucks back to their 1200 sqft ranch houses, knowing the truck was the prized possession.

These trucks cost more than the average Phoenix household income, so, statistically, the big toy is probably on a long-term financial repayment period (60+ months) at 4% interest.

80% it's a white dude with a goatee and sunglasses driving. Cardinal or any license plate with a flag or support our troops is a guaranteed ****ing retard.

I almost got hit once by one of these guys in a big truck while in Peoria: extended cab, the extra wide wheels in the back, didn't bother to stop. He got out of his car, and to this day I'll never forget it: 5'4, fat, wife was a slovenly mess. That pretty much summed up AZ big truck Bro dozer culture to me. Buncha redneck vying for the title for biggest incompetent turd on the road.

And yeah, it's rampant here. And yeah, I tell everyone who visits to watch out for trucks here; most people notice they're just fitting the AZ stereotype.
The Prius liberal hipsters with suspenders, plaid and big rim glasses are just as bad.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The Prius liberal hipsters with suspenders, plaid and big rim glasses are just as bad.
When I lived in Washington State and would travel down some of the many back highways and the speed limit was 55, yet you suddenly found yourself at the back of a group of folks doing 45, guaranteed there was a Prius at the head of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area