Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM

110 posts, read 322,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I think the OP suffers from a lack of self-esteem and self-confidence. He must be a very lonely, sad and depressed individual to feel the need to write such a piece about himself being so superior to the rest of the visitors on this forum. I actually feel sorry for him. OP, go seek help now!
LOL! He's probably already hung himself by now.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil99 View Post
Well that's very unkind... But we can always hope!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,145 times
Quote:
That's not funny, even if he's a pretentious jerk

Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 PM

40 posts, read 246,056 times
Rubee- I read that you came here from Boston. Me and my husband are moving here from Boston. If you dont mind, can you share how you feel its better/worse here compared to Boston? We are mainly moving because of the weather and cost of living. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 AM

14 posts, read 46,869 times
Hi Xenourtv,

It caught my eye when you mentioned in part that you believe the locals in Phoenix are "...rude, prejudice, and uneducated."

I've met many here that are rude, but just as many that are quite friendly. My best friendships have been forged on the job. I was raised in the Midwest and Deep South, so I do notice the difference and miss the friendly atmosphere of those areas.

I don't run into a lot of uneducated people, but I'm a professional living in a very nice area, so both on the job and in my neighborhood most of us are like-minded when it comes to our interests and academic level.

I'm not bothered by those less educated (more by those than don't want to be educated), but I'm terribly offended by racism, which seems more prevalent here. I'm a white who was raised in areas with a heavy black and ethnic population, so this came as an unfortunate shock when I moved here. I miss meeting black men and women here (the other ethnicities seem to be well represented). People of certain minds can be prejudiced against those they don't know. This has never been more pronounced to me than in this primary election where it's quite evident that some people vote on the basis of color alone. As an Obama supporter, I've had a really hard time with this.

If you plan to continue living here, do you believe moving to another area of town or changing jobs might help? I'd also seriously consider joining some organizations where you'll meet people of like mind and widen your circle of friends from there. I would simply ignore the others...there's no place for rudeness or bigotry

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM

468 posts, read 580,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
That's not funny, even if he's a pretentious jerk
Tru that,there's most likely underlying issues there.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM

110 posts, read 322,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Tru that,there's most likely underlying issues there.
You're right. After looking at some of his other posts he appears to be suffering from an inferiority complex as well as delusions of grandeur. Most of his posts are in either Atlanta or Chicago, so he just came over here to stir up crap. Still doesn't mean he's not a tool!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,564 times
Quote:
You're right. After looking at some of his other posts he appears to be suffering from an inferiority complex as well as delusions of grandeur. Most of his posts are in either Atlanta or Chicago, so he just came over here to stir up crap. Still doesn't mean he's not a tool!
Oh, he's a tool, alright!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM

190 posts, read 570,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloft View Post
I'm not bothered by those less educated (more by those than don't want to be educated), but I'm terribly offended by racism, which seems more prevalent here. I'm a white who was raised in areas with a heavy black and ethnic population, so this came as an unfortunate shock when I moved here. I miss meeting black men and women here (the other ethnicities seem to be well represented). People of certain minds can be prejudiced against those they don't know. This has never been more pronounced to me than in this primary election where it's quite evident that some people vote on the basis of color alone. As an Obama supporter, I've had a really hard time with this.
I've lived and worked all over the country and in my experience, the south and deep south is the most racist part of this country. What astonished me is how so many white people there don't consider themselves racist but will openly denounce interracial dating and marriage. They would rationalize that they would have lots of friends of different ethnicities but when it comes to dating, it was wrong. And while there were many blacks there, their communities were segregated more or less. I remember how many of the exclusive private schools would not accept people of color. This wasn't in some small town either. I'm speaking about a city with a large metropolitan area. Many of them also don't understand that stereotyping people is wrong. For example, they would look at my skin color and assume I wasn't American despite me being born and raised here and having no accent. They would ask me why I didn't have an accent after I had already explained to them that I was born and raised here and attended school here. They would assume I was related to any person of similar ethnicity without examining facial features, skin tone, height etc. I knew they meant no harm but this type of thinking was so prevalent there that it was quite irritating after a while. I could certainly never live there. By comparison, I feel that Phoenix is pretty tolerant and I've never experienced prejudice or stereotyping in regards to dating or meeting people.

Last edited by azriverfan; 04-30-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM

100 posts, read 408,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I could certainly never live there. By comparison, I feel that Phoenix is pretty tolerant and I've never experienced prejudice or stereotyping in regards to dating or meeting people.
I think you do not understand where AZloft is coming from and I advise you to analyze your surroundings a little bit more. Even though people are not calling you the "N" word does not mean they are not prejudice or have some form of racial tendancies. They are tolerant because they have to be or they basically just have no clue what to do when meeting somebody who is actually different)). I am going to go along where AZloft left and and try to explain to all of you who do not understand where I am coming from. I just think the majority of the people who were raised here are ignorant. They also seem very content with hardly no ambition. This has to do with education. I will give you an example...

I went to school in Kansas State and traveled to Iowa at times. Some of the whitest parts of the country, very homogenous. I will tell you that as a minority I was suprised to be in an environment where I felt comfotable, accepted, and respected. I was able to enjoy myself at times because the natives and the people who grew up there learned how to respect other people regardless of what environment they came from. They were taught not to discriminate other people based on the color of their skin, and were educated on civics, ethics, and morality. I do not know what they are teaching in Arizona schools, but it is definately not black history. This is not surprising since your senator rejected the idea of MLK being a national holiday years ago. One homeless guy called me the N word, for no apparent reason and when I confronted him he blamed my people for his undoing

People here just do not know how to react or adjust to different situations, instead they decide to just let it be or in your words become "tolerant". I am not surprised with the adults, but concerned about the children because that is a skill that you need if you want to compete in today's society. I think it really all comes down to the fact that since I am presumably more intelligent than my counterparts here in the Phoenix area they see me as a threat, cause I have a high vocabulary, knowledge, could enunciate words with eloquency at times, and black. In the past a person like me would have been seen as a threat, but it is great to know most places in this country have gotten over it and can handle a black male being smarter then them. However it appears that people here have a hard time dealing with it, because chances are most people who live here probably had no interaction with black people throughout their time in grammar, elementary, junior high, and high school. The balancing effect to neutralize prejudices and racial tendancies would be the school system, but obviously they are not teaching racial harmony So they go to the media and use stereotypes, so when they have a run in with a person who happens to be black, what do you think happens. They do not follow the rule of getting to know a person, they automatically assume, let be, wonder, and go on with their contentable ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area