Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 AM

190 posts, read 571,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
I think you do not understand where AZloft is coming from and I advise you to analyze your surroundings a little bit more. Even though people are not calling you the "N" word does not mean they are not prejudice or have some form of racial tendancies. They are tolerant because they have to be or they basically just have no clue what to do when meeting somebody who is actually different)). I am going to go along where AZloft left and and try to explain to all of you who do not understand where I am coming from. I just think the majority of the people who were raised here are ignorant. They also seem very content with hardly no ambition. This has to do with education. I will give you an example...

I went to school in Kansas State and traveled to Iowa at times. Some of the whitest parts of the country, very homogenous. I will tell you that as a minority I was suprised to be in an environment where I felt comfotable, accepted, and respected. I was able to enjoy myself at times because the natives and the people who grew up there learned how to respect other people regardless of what environment they came from. They were taught not to discriminate other people based on the color of their skin, and were educated on civics, ethics, and morality. I do not know what they are teaching in Arizona schools, but it is definately not black history. This is not surprising since your senator rejected the idea of MLK being a national holiday years ago. One homeless guy called me the N word, for no apparent reason and when I confronted him he blamed my people for his undoing

People here just do not know how to react or adjust to different situations, instead they decide to just let it be or in your words become "tolerant". I am not surprised with the adults, but concerned about the children because that is a skill that you need if you want to compete in today's society. I think it really all comes down to the fact that since I am presumably more intelligent than my counterparts here in the Phoenix area they see me as a threat, cause I have a high vocabulary, knowledge, and could enunciate words with eloquency at times, and black. In the past a person like me would have been seen as a threat, but it is great to know most places in this country have gotten over it and can handle a black male being smarter then them. However it appears that people here have a hard time dealing with it, because chances are most people who live here probably had no interaction with black people throughout their time in grammar, elementary, junior high, and high school. The balancing effect to neutralize prejudices and racial tendancies would be the school system, but obviously they are not teaching racial harmony So they go to the media and use stereotypes, so when they have a run in with a person who happens to be black, what do you think happens. They do not follow the rule of getting to know a person, they automatically assume, let be, wonder, and go on with their contentable ways.
I don't care what people really think of me as long as they remain civil and treat me with respect which they do. That's the sign of a developed and professional society. I wish people in the South did more of that instead of expressing their ignorant stereotypes so openly. At least people here are intelligent enough to recognize that it's not polite to ask retarded questions based on stereotypical perceptions. I would ask you to check out your surroundings my friend. I know that in the rural midwest and south, there are more Black people than in Phoenix. And it may seem like they are more accepting over there because they have a larger black population and a longer history of Black residents. However, the real and true test of acceptance comes down to interracial dating and marriage. Anyone can be friendly to you and invite you into their home but see if they will let you date their daughter. Try dating a white person in Kansas and see how they react? Yeah, it's a lot different now isn't it? People stare over there; they don't stare over here. You don't see that as much in Phoenix because it's closer to the west coast. Arizona is also the only state to vote and approve the MLK holliday. I wonder how many other states would approve of the MLK holliday if given a choice to vote for it. After all, states like South Carolina kept Strom Thurmond in office who was an acknowledged racist and voted against the civil rights movement.

Also, half the population in Phoenix wasn't raised here so what the heck are you talking about? Many people move here from some place else and that trend is only continuing. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here but I know a lot of African Americans who would laugh at your post for saying Kansas and Iowa is more racially tolerant than Phoenix. You are just stereotyping Phoenix because it doesn't have a large African American population. That's sad! And who cares if a homeless guy called you the N word...did you not recognize that he was HOMELESS! Most homeless people are alcoholics, drug addicts or paranoid schizophrenics.

Some of your comments regarding yourself may be interpreted as being arrogant. How do you know the people here don't like you because of your personality as opposed to your skin color?

Last edited by azriverfan; 05-01-2008 at 01:34 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 AM

14 posts, read 46,965 times
As a white person who went to a great university with a diverse student body, I thought I had a better idea after graduating of what other ethnic groups have to deal with in America--even those who are very well educated professionals.

Jump ahead many years and I've just finished reading Obama's Dreams From My Father. The story of what life was like for him growing up really moved me because he's an eloquent writer who speaks from the heart. It gave me a whole new perspective on what it's like to grow up in a nation largely dominated by Caucasians, even if we have a large ethnic population. Obama never complained, but he did struggle through some difficult times that made him a very strong and compassionate man. That's why so many people like and admire him.

Like they say, you don't know what it's like until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I'll never be able to walk in someone else's shoes, but I can walk alongside them. In doing so, I've been richly rewarded over the years with fascinating friends who have broadened my tiny world

Last edited by azloft; 05-01-2008 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: correct error

Old 05-01-2008, 01:34 AM

100 posts, read 408,475 times
To all you haters who insulted me , it is ok you do not know me. This is strictly an opinion based on my observation of being here, and so far I strongly believe I am smarter then most people here. It is the educational system here and off my observation, people here are not smart. When I moved I was aware that I was going to coming to a place where their were not many black people and the majority of the population was strictly white and hispanic/latino. I just did not expect people here to be so "out of touch" and ignorant. I did not expect that people value having a lot of kids and what home they can get out in the valley to be there number one priority. In my previous work environment, I was with intellectuals who were already on top but still wanted to make it big, like going back to school to get there masters or phd, become leaders, and volunteering to make the community a better place.

Bottom line is that you can not expect everybody to like you, but you better respect me. Cause it is not fun being condescending and when you peeps say you feel sorry for me, I feel sorry for yall who embrace this type of lifestyle cause there is more to life than having many children, and remaining content. I am not miserable yet, I like the women here, and I heard the weather is nice during the winter time and I know I will have great times once I want to assert myself fully in this environment. I have already adjusted, and I do not care if people do not like me, but to you Phoenicians out there if you do not respect me I will show you the same kind of disrespect in a manner in which you will remember for a long time .

Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
To all you haters who insulted me , it is ok you do not know me. This is strictly an opinion based on my observation of being here, and so far I strongly believe I am smarter then most people here. It is the educational system here and off my observation, people here are not smart. When I moved I was aware that I was going to coming to a place where their were not many black people and the majority of the population was strictly white and hispanic/latino. I just did not expect people here to be so "out of touch" and ignorant. I did not expect that people value having a lot of kids and what home they can get out in the valley to be there number one priority. In my previous work environment, I was with intellectuals who were already on top but still wanted to make it big, like going back to school to get there masters or phd, become leaders, and volunteering to make the community a better place.

Bottom line is that you can not expect everybody to like you, but you better respect me. Cause it is not fun being condescending and when you peeps say you feel sorry for me, I feel sorry for yall who embrace this type of lifestyle cause there is more to life than having many children, and remaining content. I am not miserable yet, I like the women here, and I heard the weather is nice during the winter time and I know I will have great times once I want to assert myself fully in this environment. I have already adjusted, and I do not care if people do not like me, but to you Phoenicians out there if you do not respect me I will show you the same kind of disrespect in a manner in which you will remember for a long time .
Like I said in my earlier post, you come accross as being arrogant. Did it ever cross your mind that people in Arizona don't like you because of your personality as opposed to your skin color?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 AM

14 posts, read 46,965 times
Hi Xenourtv,

I'm getting no money for plugging Obama's Dreams From My Father, but if you haven't read it (and I have a hunch you have), you may really enjoy it.

I have to say again that, although there aren't many blacks here, and I do strongly believe that a large number of people are still racist across this country, please don't let the ignorance of another individual turn into anger on your part. That reduces you to their level. Of course, stand up for yourself, but really, are they worth engaging?

There will always be ignorant people, people full of hate they'll direct at one cause after another. By showing those people your very best side to these people instead of anger, hopefully it will shame them into reality.

I also believe that online conversations can occasionally turn into a breeding ground for bigotry and hatred....those who have those beliefs are usually cowards, but they speak very "big" on forums

Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I don't care what people really think of me as long as they remain civil and treat me with respect which they do. That's the sign of a developed and professional society. I wish people in the South did more of that instead of expressing their ignorant stereotypes so openly. At least people here are intelligent enough to recognize that it's not polite to ask retarded questions based on stereotypical perceptions. I would ask you to check out your surroundings my friend. I know that in the rural midwest and south, there are more Black people than in Phoenix. And it may seem like they are more accepting over there because they have a larger black population and a longer history of Black residents. However, the real and true test of acceptance comes down to interracial dating and marriage. Anyone can be friendly to you and invite you into their home but see if they will let you date their daughter. Try dating a white person in Kansas and see how they react? Yeah, it's a lot different now isn't it? People stare over there; they don't stare over here. You don't see that as much in Phoenix because it's closer to the west coast. Arizona is also the only state to vote and approve the MLK holliday. I wonder how many other states would approve of the MLK holliday if given a choice to vote for it. After all, states like South Carolina kept Strom Thurmond in office who was an acknowledged racist and voted against the civil rights movement.

Also, half the population in Phoenix wasn't raised here so what the heck are you talking about? Many people move here from some place else and that trend is only continuing. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here but I know a lot of African Americans who would laugh at your post for saying Kansas and Iowa is more racially tolerant than Phoenix. You are just stereotyping Phoenix because it doesn't have a large African American population. That's sad! And who cares if a homeless guy called you the N word...did you not recognize that he was HOMELESS! Most homeless people are alcoholics, drug addicts or paranoid schizophrenics.

Some of your comments regarding yourself may be interpreted as being arrogant. How do you know the people here don't like you because of your personality as opposed to your skin color?
Who said I had a bad experience, the people here are just not intelligent that is what I am saying. You clearly do not watch the news or have been to Iowa, Iowa is 97% white and Kansas has a similar percentage, and I will tell you I felt more comfortable as a black man there then I do here. Dating white women is nothing, you get stares everywhere you go or if you do something out of the ordinary. I had a relationship with a white girl in Kansas and a white girl from Iowa. Analyze your situation a little more and it is not really about race, more of the intelligence that I have a problem with. People here are not smart, and they let things be because they do not know what they want to do or say. The likelihood of them ever meeting a black person is slim. They are vague and keep to themselves here.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloft View Post
Hi Xenourtv,

I'm getting no money for plugging Obama's Dreams From My Father, but if you haven't read it (and I have a hunch you have), you may really enjoy it.

I have to say again that, although there aren't many blacks here, and I do strongly believe that a large number of people are still racist across this country, please don't let the ignorance of another individual turn into anger on your part. That reduces you to their level. Of course, stand up for yourself, but really, are they worth engaging?

There will always be ignorant people, people full of hate they'll direct at one cause after another. By showing those people your very best side to these people instead of anger, hopefully it will shame them into reality.

I also believe that online conversations can occasionally turn into a breeding ground for bigotry and hatred....those who have those beliefs are usually cowards, but they speak very "big" on forums
I agree and will consider using the advice you have given me, continue to keep it real

Old 05-01-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Who said I had a bad experience, the people here are just not intelligent that is what I am saying. You clearly do not watch the news or have been to Iowa, Iowa is 97% white and Kansas has a similar percentage, and I will tell you I felt more comfortable as a black man there then I do here. Dating white women is nothing, you get stares everywhere you go or if you do something out of the ordinary. I had a relationship with a white girl in Kansas and a white girl from Iowa. Analyze your situation a little more and it is not really about race, more of the intelligence that I have a problem with. People here are not smart, and they let things be because they do not know what they want to do or say. The likelihood of them ever meeting a black person is slim. They are vague and keep to themselves here.
Examine the median income and average housing prices. Do you think all these people are just morons who inherited this wealth? There are many extremely brilliant and talented people who live here. Where do you live and what do you do for a living? No offense, but you don't seem very intelligent. This thread is 12 pages long and you still can't convey what it is that people are lacking here in regards to intelligence. Also, it doesn't help when you type the word "y'all" in your responses

Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 AM

788 posts, read 2,112,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloft View Post
This has never been more pronounced to me than in this primary election where it's quite evident that some people vote on the basis of color alone. As an Obama supporter, I've had a really hard time with this.
Do you mean that some people didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color?

If that's the case, the results may be disproportional to actual Obama supporters in AZ. I am registered as an independent, but I wasn't sure who my choice should be 30 business days before the primary election. So, I didn't vote in the primaries. Had I been sure in February who my choice would have been, I would have voted for Obama. It's unfortunate, for that reason, that we have early primaries, and that independents can't be remain registered as independents to vote in the primaries. I have spoken with no less than 10 current Obama supporters who were in the same situation as myself at the time.

So, there may be more Obama supporters in AZ than the polls suggest.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
Examine the median income and average housing prices. Do you think all these people are just morons who inherited this wealth? There are many extremely brilliant and talented people who live here. Where do you live and what do you do for a living? No offense, but you don't seem very intelligent. This thread is 12 pages long and you still can't convey what it is that people are lacking here in regards to intelligence. Also, it doesn't help when you type the word "y'all" in your responses
You just do not understand, and you can not gauge a persons intelligence based on how a person types. This is a message board, im not going to proofread everything i say and look into all the grammatical errors I made. You people can be so meticulous at times Anyways, I am not saying everybody who lives in Phoenix is not intelligent, that would be naive for me to say. If you read my first post I clearly stated the overall environment and based off my observation. If you analyze your surroundings a little bit more, and just did not look at everything as black and white you would be able to see that people here seem to be lacking in intelligence. Everything is not always what they appear to be, remember that. I am done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area