Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 AM

3,823 posts, read 9,488,422 times

Advertisements

Used to have a job putting up marketing collateral inside of grocery stores all over central and north Phoenix. So I've been in almost every Safeway, Fry's, Basha's & Albertson's at least a few times.

The only store you'd consistently see people with a full cart doing a weekly grocery run was Fry's. Safeway & Albertson's is where you'd see most shoppers with at best 5-6 items. Every Basha's was a ghost town no matter what time of day or day of the week it was. Then the average age of the people inside of Basha's was 70+, wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,970,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mags61 View Post
Fry's is where we usually get our groceries because of the value in price without being dirt-cheap.
The only thing I don't like about Fry's is over half of their self-checkout registers are shut down while long lines form just to buy a few items.
Walmart same way. This can happen anywhere, any store with this set up. Take it from someone who lives in shopping center central on the other side of the coast.
Everywhere.........

Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,661,420 times
I’m wondering if Basha’s is in it for the real estate. There’s no way their stores are profitable. The ones I’ve been in have been dead, and with good reason; their prices are higher and their selection is weak. I’ve given up because they almost always force me to make a second trip. The last time it was for mint.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
I have Basha's and Safeway within a mile, Fry's and Sprouts two miles. I tend to use them all, as my routine takes me past Sprouts every weekday, and Fry's is still where I shop most. They all have their good points.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,308,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
When we were driving from LA to Phoenix last week, we passed through this small town right after we passed Palm Springs, that sells fruits for a bargain price. They have a sign that says "Avocado for 0.60 cents a bag", must have been direct from farmers. Too bad I was driving a little faster and I missed it. $60 cents is the price of one avocado at Fry's.

Is there something similar here in Arizona where we can buy cheaper fruits and veggies and directly from the farmers? I wouldn't mind driving 50 miles on a weekend for a week worth of fruits.
I make a monthly trip to Superstition Ranch Market in Mesa. It's a bit of a drive, but really good prices.

https://www.superstitionranchmarket.com/

Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,308,771 times
I shop at Fry's for about 85% of my stuff and am there weekly, get a few things at Trader Joe's, a few things at Winco, and a few things at WalMart.

I tried Safeway when I first moved here and didn't care for it, and honestly couldn't tell you where the nearest Bashas is. But, the last time I was in one I was really amazed that they were still in business.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:10 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,107,208 times
I live in far N.W. Peoria. My go to stores are a Safeway just outside the gates of Vistancia and the Fry's Marketplace at Four Corners.

The other year they completely remodeled the Safeway, it's really nice in there. Additions to the store include a Sushi bar, salad bar, hot foods bar, self-checkouts and eat-in areas in the store and on the covered patio.

The Fry's Marketplace is just a couple years old, huge, and always busy.

I like both and visit each weekly.

I sometimes visit the Wal-Mart at Lake Pleasant and 99th, just south of Four Corners. I go there for things I can't get at the other two: Nature's Way 100% Whole Wheat hot dog and hamburger buns; Ziploc microwave steam-in bags (great for broccoli); Lemi-Shine dishwasher rinse-aid; and I special order on Wal-Mart's website for Aunt Jemina Whole Wheat blend pancake/waffle mix which I pick up at that store.

I like the in-store bakery at Basha's on 99th and Beardsley and used to go there as they were the only place that stocked Kretchmer Honey-Toast Wheat Germ, but they no longer do. I too wonder how they stay in business.

Been to the Winco at 303 Loop and Bell a few times, interesting place but not my thing.

When I just have to have my fix of heavy duty, al dente, Wholesome Harvest whole wheat bread I'll visit Albertson's at Deer Vally and 83rd as they are the only place that still stocks it. That's the only place for real whole wheat bread other than Kneaders. Both breads need to go in the freezer within a day of buying it as this is real whole wheat and will get moldy by day 3 if left on the countertop.

Costco was good for buying diced tomatoes and other veggies, and their Pot Roast meats were my fave, but we let our membership lapse this year because the store near Arrowhead Mall is just plain NUTS. I used to buy their huge bags of Trident fish sticks but I can get a smaller box of this brand at Sprouts along with my Panda licorice bars, decaf French Roast coffee, Vitamin B-1 (no one else stocks B-1) and my wife's aloe skin lotion.

My Fry's Marketplace is super busy, huge, and it stocks non-grocery items like shoes, clothing, dishes, small kitchen appliances, vacuums, toys, and whatever they think will make a buck. I rarely see anyone looking over the aisles of dishes and kitchen appliances, but who knows, maybe it works for them. IMO it detracts from what they stock in the way of food items. I use this Fry's for Boar's Head deli items and it's the only place that stocks our favorite Boar's Head fully cooked bacon that takes just 15 seconds in the microwave. This Fry's has the best salad bar in the area, lots of choices, and is my go-to store for a salad bar fix.

The Safeway is just a half-mile from me and is my main go-to store, even though it is one third the size of Fry's it actually has better food selections. The people there are super nice and helpful, and has some special needs people for baggers who do a fine job. They hire physically handicapped people too like a certain cashier who could barely walk and had her service dog by her side as she sat on a stool at the check out register. Safeway promoted her to a desk job at their local offices where she can sit all day and not have to struggle around the store. This store also keeps an elderly cashier on the staff even though she is painfully slow compared to the kids who work there. This is the only store where I can find Oikos Toasted Coconut and Vanilla yogurt (so good). I get Safeway coupons via email which enables shopping at much better than posted shelf prices. The fruit and produce here are excellent, IMO as good as any store around, and I don't have to buy huge amounts like at Costco. Most of our homeowners here in this 55+ community are empty-nest couples who don't need the gallon-size peanut butter jars and twenty pounds of oranges at a time, etc, like Costco.

Still, I end up visiting as many as four stores to fill a shopping list but it keeps me pleasantly busy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-27-2020 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 PM

6,775 posts, read 5,078,809 times
We buy most of our produce at Sprouts. Meat is a combination of Sprouts, Costco, and a local butcher shop. Packaged goods we tend to buy at Fry's; she would prefer Safeway but it's an extra ten miles roundtrip from our house as compared to Fry's.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:18 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,281,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Used to have a job putting up marketing collateral inside of grocery stores all over central and north Phoenix. So I've been in almost every Safeway, Fry's, Basha's & Albertson's at least a few times.

The only store you'd consistently see people with a full cart doing a weekly grocery run was Fry's. Safeway & Albertson's is where you'd see most shoppers with at best 5-6 items. Every Basha's was a ghost town no matter what time of day or day of the week it was. Then the average age of the people inside of Basha's was 70+, wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business in a few years.
I agree with this 100%.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:33 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,286,627 times
Wife still goes to Fry's, Sprouts and Costco. I think. Don't really care I just know the groceries just magically appear in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area