Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:54 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,017,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
So these people should rearrange their lives so as not to inconvenience you? Get over yourself.
But why would they want to be in the crowds? My gf made a good point. Maybe some of them are lonely and like being around lots of people. But it's still maddening and frustrating when it could be less crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 12:00 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
go after dinner; dont most old people go to sleep at 7pm?

Old 03-01-2020, 12:10 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Winco Foods - lowest prices on staples and like their bulk selection.
99 Only - you have to look at the quality at times but some of their finds are great.
Fry's - generally good value, especially on their sales items
AZ International Marketplace - great produce selection, some good meat deals.
Asiana Market - some really good meat deals, especially on ground meats
Safeway - very expensive but a pretty decent bakery selection
Sprouts - they have some great produce deals and good bulk spices.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:55 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
go after dinner; dont most old people go to sleep at 7pm?
No, that's Florida, with the blue-haired ladies, eating early bird dinners at 4PM, living in age-segregated enclaves, all of which make Florida "God's Waiting Room." Their primary exercise is swatting Mosquitoes and Palmetto bugs.

Here in AZ we're different. We really are. We play golf, and pickle ball, and bocce ball, ride bikes, run, walk, go to gyms. Since we have mountains here in AZ -- we hike them. We don't do early bird dinners, but we do happy hour with gusto. There are no blue haired ladies here, and we don't honk the horn if you change lanes 3 blocks ahead of us.

Trust me.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
wait, Mike, dont you live in that age segregated enclave called Trilogy @Vistancia?

I guess my friends that live there too must be old geezers, although I haven't seen much Blue Hair when I go there..

Old 03-01-2020, 01:34 PM

26,223 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
wait, Mike, dont you live in that age segregated enclave called Trilogy @Vistancia?

I guess my friends that live there too must be old geezers, although I haven't seen much Blue Hair when I go there..
Yes I'm in Trilogy@Vistancia, but we're different here. Blue hair is forbidden by HOA covenants. We don't have Wolfie's or a Rascal House or even a deli. We don't have flashing porch lights to alert EMTs. We're old as sin, but we don't geeze or wheeze here.

Meanwhile, I love my Safeway....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-01-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 03:55 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
I've found that Fry's stores are hit and miss. But....find a good one and there's a decent chance it'll stay that way.

Sprouts seems to run out of stuff that I like too often. I s'pose that I like the same thing others do.

Albertson's is my go-to meat place. Decent service.

Ranch Market has improved a lot.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I've found that Fry's stores are hit and miss. But....find a good one and there's a decent chance it'll stay that way.

For my old marketing gig I've been in probably half of the Fry's stores from Tempe to Surprise. Fry's does a very good job of tailoring the store to fit the neighborhood. Go to the Fry's on McDowell & 32nd and you'll find a great selection of ethnic food but a limited selection of premium coffee. Travel a few miles up the road to the Fry's on Highland & 22nd and the selection is polar opposite.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:46 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,274,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Fry's supermarket on McKellips and Recker in Mesa is quite nice.
I'll have to give that one a shot. I drive across the East Valley to get home from work (in Central Phoenix) and sometimes make stops along the way. I didn't go to any Fry's for well over a year because I kept having to return spoiled/stale items. Plus the one nearest me will smell REALLY BAD by the meat department; so bad that I'd never buy anything from that section, and sometimes the whole store stank. More recently I tried my local Fry's again; I've had to return one item so far.

If I take Brown Rd. I go past a few Basha's but I've found them (the one sort of near me) to be higher priced, so they have never been my go-to store. There's now a Safeway near me though I prefer the smaller one a few miles away and I'll stop there sometimes. They don't seem super high priced to me, but it depends on what I'm buying; I buy non-food items elsewhere.

Last edited by cjs123; 03-03-2020 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 05:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
The Fry's on McKellips and Stapley is nice too. The best one though, IMO, is the one at Shea and Tatum. Yowza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area