Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 04:10 PM

2,774 posts, read 905,321 times

Advertisements

I shop at Fry's (Rural & Ray), Walmart (Chandler Blvd & 101) and COSTCO on Elliot. Fry's because it's close and I've been going there for 17+ years. Mostly produce, soda (when it's on sale) beer, and some dairy and other items I like and can't get elsewhere. I always use self checkout. Don't buy much meat there. My only complaint about Fry's are the numerous aisle stacks that tend to cause traffic jams. Walmart I get some produce, eggs, yogurt, all bathroom items (toothpaste, soap, deodorant etc) and a number of other things that are much less expensive than Fry's. Walmart is best in early morning before it gets crowded to avoid family group shopping folks that use the entire aisle, although this has become less of an issue lately. They also started checking receipts randomly at the exit, which annoys me, but the self checkout is prone to folks stealing stuff so I get it. COSTCO is bulk items like all paper products, cleaning products, large packs of cheese, frozen fish, chicken breasts, prime steak, vitamins, OTC meds. Seems COSTCO is always crowded so I try and get there when they open on a mid week day. Being retired I avoid all shopping on weekends if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:54 AM

50,966 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
We've sometimes had thread about supermarkets, so I wondered if you agree with my neighbors that the balance may be shifting.

I used to consider Fry's my main supermarket, as being less expensive, with good sales. My neighbors are starting to convince me that since Safeway took over Albertson, their sales have gotten appreciably better. I did notice that recently they had the exact same product on sale for $1.00 where the Fry's sale price was $1.50. At the same time, it seems to me that Basha's meat prices have gotten better, and the nice thing about Basha is that it's a local Arizona chain. Basha also seems preferable in that it's not always pushing you to buy multiples of the same product (like Fry's does) or depend on internet coupons (like Safeway).

Any opinions?
I don't agree that Safeway/Albertsons is cheaper than Frys. It may very much be product by product, but I watch prices carefully and MANY of the products I regularly buy at Frys are clearly more expensive at Albertsons/Safeway.

I rarely go into Bashas...just when I want to return to the kind of grocery store I worked in...from 1967-1972.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
We live within a half mile of a brand new Sprouts (replaced the oldest Basha's in Phoenix) and a Safeway. We use both for incidentals depending upon what is needed. Fry's is the goto store for weekly shopping. The Fry's at 20th Street & Highland was renovated a couple of years ago and is huge. I alternate between that one and the new downtown (1st Street & Jefferson) location. It turns out that parking is much easier downtown. You drive up a ramp and easily park a few cars away from the elevator down to the store. I prefer that Fry's to the 20th St/Highland location but it is smaller and lacks a few necessities (Mezzetta Martini Olives, Diet Cherry/Vanilla Dr. Pepper).

Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
Several of you seem to be missing the point. This thread is not about where you like to buy groceries. It's about mayor city-wide grocery chains. Not Cosco, not farmer's markets. And I wouldn't buy groceries at Walmart, ever.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:34 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,021,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
... Being retired I avoid all shopping on weekends if possible.
Can you please advise all your fellow retirees and snowbirds to do the same?? It would be much appreciated, since us working folk don't have that choice necessarily. It's maddening to see for example Superstition Ranch Market packed to the gills with snowbirds (all the typical license plates) that could shop there during the week.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:24 PM

44,660 posts, read 61,729,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Can you please advise all your fellow retirees and snowbirds to do the same?? It would be much appreciated, since us working folk don't have that choice necessarily. It's maddening to see for example Superstition Ranch Market packed to the gills with snowbirds (all the typical license plates) that could shop there during the week.
Well during the week they're playing golf all day and too pooped to shop afterwards.

I shop the nearby Fry's during the week after 8pm in the evening, hardly any customers then. In and out very quickly.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:04 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
I find Albertsons/Safeway to be the most expensive option for what I buy, followed closely by Walmart and Bashas. I have dietary issues so I buy a good bit of fresh food, and almost no prepared boxed items. I buy at 99 Cents Only, Frys, Sprouts and Natural Grocers. Produce is cheapest at 99 Cents, but you're limited to whatever was delivered that day. Next cheapest for produce is Sprouts or Frys (depends on the sale) and Frys for meat. Condiments and non-perishable items are cheapest at Trader Joes, and the non-dairy "dairy" products I buy are cheapest (and best selection) at Natural Grocers.

And for Voebe - ALL of those stores are chain stores with multiple locations in the metro.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:43 AM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I stopped using Fry's because I found them lacking in updating sales prices to what you are charged at the register. On top of that, there was a huge turnover at the register. Since I stopped taking advantage of their crazy liquor and wine sales, I found no need to go anymore.

Safeway appears to have upped their game since the merger and I'll go there occasionally (some Friday sales are nuts).
I'm fine with Bashas', produce is good and I like that they retain their employs (same people at the register for years).
That seems to be standard operating procedure for any store that comes under the Kroger corporate umbrella. Every time I go into one I walk out with the feeling I just got ripped off a little.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,753,671 times
Quote:
So these people should rearrange their lives so as not to inconvenience you? Get over yourself.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,928,788 times
Quote:
post this on the AARP website..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area