Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 05:52 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,118,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
For my old marketing gig I've been in probably half of the Fry's stores from Tempe to Surprise. Fry's does a very good job of tailoring the store to fit the neighborhood. Go to the Fry's on McDowell & 32nd and you'll find a great selection of ethnic food but a limited selection of premium coffee. Travel a few miles up the road to the Fry's on Highland & 22nd and the selection is polar opposite.
Yep.

I dig the one on Tatum & Shea; won't step into the one on 35th Ave and Peoria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 09:09 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,504,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Yep.

I dig the one on Tatum & Shea; won't step into the one on 35th Ave and Peoria.
Two of the more interesting Fry's are the one on McDowell & 32nd Street and the Sunnyslope location.

The Biltmore area Fry's is interesting. Almost every time I went in there I had to guess what ex-athlete was picking up milk. See guys in their 60's that still had that strut and confidence from playing pro ball. One time saw the lead singer of Judas Priest over there shopping. My wife wanted to know why I was getting excited about seeing an old bald guy wearing Daisy Dukes and combat boots strutting around.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:51 PM

13,426 posts, read 7,423,380 times
Super Walmart has far better pricing then any of those chain stores. Fry's has sales on a few things rest is 20% higher in price then Walmart. We also go to the neighborhood Walmart they have different items more like Fry's. We don't buy meats there we go to Costco for that.

People always bash Walmart's business practices if you look back in history chain super markets like Fry's, and Safeway they put small mom and pop grocery stores out of business when they showed up. Just happened so long ago no one alive today remembers they also force shopping centers to sign agreements not to allow another market to take over a property they vacated for years. This is why you see vacant property sit for years with no one leasing it after grocery store left.

Fry's with their high prices although not as high as Safeway now I have to bag my own groceries. At least Safeway customer service is top notch what I would expect from higher price store. Safeway the manger will open a lane if he sees more then a few waiting.

Last edited by kell490; 03-04-2020 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 09:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 1,290,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Super Walmart has far better pricing then any of those chain stores. Fry's has sales on a few things rest is 20% higher in price then Walmart. We also go to the neighborhood Walmart they have different items more like Fry's. We don't buy meats there we go to Costco for that.

People always bash Walmart's business practices if you look back in history chain super markets like Fry's, and Safeway they put small mom and pop grocery stores out of business when they showed up. Just happened so long ago no one alive today remembers they also force shopping centers to sign agreements not to allow another market to take over a property they vacated for years. This is why you see vacant property sit for years with no one leasing it after grocery store left.

Fry's with their high prices although not as high as Safeway now I have to bag my own groceries. At least Safeway customer service is top notch what I would expect from higher price store. Safeway the manger will open a lane if he sees more then a few waiting.
I won't even step foot in a Wal-Mart. Prices be damned.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM

16,405 posts, read 30,359,049 times
I do a lot of market research. I do NOT find Walmart to be any cheaper on the national brands than Fry's on average. When you factor in sales, you generally get a better price at Frys.

If you are willing to accept the very low quality Great Values brand, you can save money at Walmart over Frys but THAT is a MAJOR sacrifice in quality.

And you are also spending more at Walmart than you would at Winco Foods or Aldi.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:57 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,328,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I do a lot of market research. I do NOT find Walmart to be any cheaper on the national brands than Fry's on average. When you factor in sales, you generally get a better price at Frys.

If you are willing to accept the very low quality Great Values brand, you can save money at Walmart over Frys but THAT is a MAJOR sacrifice in quality.

And you are also spending more at Walmart than you would at Winco Foods or Aldi.
We do not have Aldi in Arizona, so that's not one to compare to.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:33 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,118,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Two of the more interesting Fry's are the one on McDowell & 32nd Street and the Sunnyslope location.

The Biltmore area Fry's is interesting. Almost every time I went in there I had to guess what ex-athlete was picking up milk. See guys in their 60's that still had that strut and confidence from playing pro ball. One time saw the lead singer of Judas Priest over there shopping. My wife wanted to know why I was getting excited about seeing an old bald guy wearing Daisy Dukes and combat boots strutting around.
I found the Sunnyslope store to be a bit more eerie than interesting.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:55 PM

16,405 posts, read 30,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
We do not have Aldi in Arizona, so that's not one to compare to.
Not yet.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 PM

13,426 posts, read 7,423,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Everyone buys different items the things we buy it's just more expense at those places then Walmart even name brand items we buy the same items every week mostly.

Sporting goods like fishing supplies, camping, and automotive all better prices at Walmart their pricing on synthetic oil lot cheaper I do all my own automotive work I prefer to get it all in one place. Walmart has the best pricing on synthetic oil.

Went to Winco once had a few sales items were cheaper but we didn't want any of those items the stuff we needed was all higher priced.

Things I won't buy at Walmart are meat, chicken, eggs, and deli meat after I watched someone cut turkey on a slicer hadn't been cleaned after cutting roast beef on an hour before. We go to target for deli meats and that kind of thing.

Walmart is mostly canned goods, condiments, washing detergents, Half and half (named brand) the basic needs stuff soda is cheaper wine is cheaper. My wife likes the box wine same brand it's $2 cheaper at Walmart then Safeway, or Fry's.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It depends on what you buy. I buy mainly fresh produce and meat. Walmart is expensive for that, I save a lot more shopping at Frys and Sprouts. Today, Sprouts had the better deals: red grapes $0.99/lb, cauliflower $0.99 per head, green beans $0.99/lb, etc. The two Walmarts closest to me do not have good produce. It's Only 99-Cents has better produce than my two Walmarts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area