Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2021, 12:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
That makes a big difference.

I don't know the crime stats for West Mesa but the neighborhoods I've driven through look sketchy at best.
I would say 19th and Northern is a step or two ahead of the worst parts of Mesa. As far as the schools..well if you are only buying a place for one ore two people, you almost have to ignore the bad schools, just like you would in DC at 1000 USD per sf. But, of course, it is nice to be in a good school district, as any homeowner, especially with more balanced property taxes in AZ. You could probably find a similar type of condo in the Madison School District, if that was your highest priority. I started subbing there in 1996 at 60 USD per day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 02:30 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Well, if you can't afford to buy in the Phx metro....then look to live in another area of AZ or leave the state.

And if prices were to crash in Phx expect the sharks to be out in full force... and they pay cash.
Careful now...apparently talking about where those sharks are from or how investors pick up blocks of houses is considered off topic.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Count me in as a shark waiting for deals. A baby shark, do do do doo.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:18 PM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
... Personally, I do what I do on-line. My overhead is my 3-year-old computer. I drop-ship most of my inventory. Obviously, not everyone can do what I do because sales and communicating with conviction is a skill. ...

Ah, there it is. Drop-shipping stuff from an online store. I saw an article about that a couple of years ago and watched a youtube video about it out of curiosity. Whip up a quick online storefront (there are already sites that host them and have templates ready, you just plug your products in), set up drop-shipping from some random warehouse in China, and that's it. I had wondered if it was legit or not, as it struck me as one of those 1990s infomercial ideas that only 1% of people would ever be able to do well at.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:59 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Ah, there it is. Drop-shipping stuff from an online store. I saw an article about that a couple of years ago and watched a youtube video about it out of curiosity. Whip up a quick online storefront (there are already sites that host them and have templates ready, you just plug your products in), set up drop-shipping from some random warehouse in China, and that's it. I had wondered if it was legit or not, as it struck me as one of those 1990s infomercial ideas that only 1% of people would ever be able to do well at.
The real money is in selling the courses on how to do it. A neighbor in Thailand did it. His product was ankle braces from China that he paid about 25 cents for. Sold 11 the first weeek, then had six returns, and then suddenly there were 5 other sellers undercutting him. I listened in on a few of his conference calls with the people that set him up...we had connecting studios, until I paid to remove the door and replace it with cinderblock..but it was like business school for five year olds, and always solicitations for services that can bring more traffic to your site (SEO...another aspect that is rife with selling the course, but not doing it.)
Greed Bay, FeeBay, Amazon dropshipping..yes, a few are successful, most are not..same with the FX traders.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:45 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
That's not my model. I sell atrociously overpriced widgets measured in the thousands of dollars per item. I've added value in forums or review websites over the years where ultra-passionate people research their next purchase. Personally, I would refuse to let someone "drag and drop" an expensive widget. It's sales 101. People drop their barriers when they talk about themselves. As one of the largest examples, I drop-shipped a $110K item to a good customer of mine. I met him at the factory for the dog and pony show and we meet with the designers. In order to sleep at night, I need to know exactly who I'm dealing with so I can vet them. Some have tried to scam me. I suppose I've sold $40M worth of items and was taken once for $1,300. That was back in 2003.

There are other barriers to entry like developing a relationship with your suppliers in order for them to allow a drop shipment. So drop-ship politics exist (territories etc). I've developed a 4,000 person customer base over the past 23 years. Several, who are the movers and shakers in this country. Some are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Though most are "just millionaires". I could repeat my model in 10 different industries if I wanted to.

The fascinating part about what I do and what keeps it interesting for me is that I often get to really learn what and how people got to where they are. I love to converse about what people do and why. In summary, it's not often about brilliance. Rather, they are workaholic dreamers with a passion to succeed.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
That's not my model. I sell atrociously overpriced widgets measured in the thousands of dollars per item. I've added value in forums or review websites over the years where ultra-passionate people research their next purchase. Personally, I would refuse to let someone "drag and drop" an expensive widget. It's sales 101. People drop their barriers when they talk about themselves. As one of the largest examples, I drop-shipped a $110K item to a good customer of mine. I met him at the factory for the dog and pony show and we meet with the designers. In order to sleep at night, I need to know exactly who I'm dealing with so I can vet them. Some have tried to scam me. I suppose I've sold $40M worth of items and was taken once for $1,300. That was back in 2003.

There are other barriers to entry like developing a relationship with your suppliers in order for them to allow a drop shipment. So drop-ship politics exist (territories etc). I've developed a 4,000 person customer base over the past 23 years. Several, who are the movers and shakers in this country. Some are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Though most are "just millionaires". I could repeat my model in 10 different industries if I wanted to.

The fascinating part about what I do and what keeps it interesting for me is that I often get to really learn what and how people got to where they are. I love to converse about what people do and why. In summary, it's not often about brilliance. Rather, they are workaholic dreamers with a passion to succeed.

Interesting business you're in but what does this have to do with Phoenix?

Old 03-28-2021, 09:25 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Interesting business you're in but what does this have to do with Phoenix?
Like both of our last posts, Absolutely nothing! But I get your point. Well, maybe I can tie it in and say that this is why so many people are more mobile here in the PHX metro (remote workers). And is at least part of the reason why the prices are being driven up (massive inflow of remote workers). Our neighborhood is full of remote workers.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:40 AM

64 posts, read 59,413 times
Contrasting banter unrelated to premise was informative as entertaining. Sage advice harvested from years of hands on experience meriting a rewarding tomorrow unable to nourish an adult fueled by optimism only for tomorrow represents its own reality.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:51 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Careful now...apparently talking about where those sharks are from or how investors pick up blocks of houses is considered off topic.
My wife and I were in downtown Phx this morning. Off 3rd near Roosevelt. I was driving from Mesa, took the 7th Ave exit and went through a few neighborhoods. The front lawns were mostly unkempt and the exterior of the homes not good. There were houses here and there that had been freshly painted and the landscape clean. I saw the colorful murals which a local AZ news program had reported on a while back. But overall the area was sketchy and I wouldn't feel safe living or parking my car there.

Not a minute later...

We passed through a neighborhood where homes had to selling for at least 600k. Very nice. We noticed the construction and new apartment complexes. The young couples with/without children walking on the sidewalks. No question this area is being gentrified.
https://ktar.com/story/2548468/phoen...nged%2098.3%25.

My guess is the dilapidated homes just a minute or two away will continue to be bought, renovated and resold. The properties are sitting on prime location.

I saw the same thing happen in the Mission district of San Francisco. A lot of crime/homes in rundown condition but the location perfect. Gentrification took hold and today only local activists have kept the area from a complete makeover.

Last edited by john3232; 03-28-2021 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area