Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

264 posts, read 1,085,773 times

Advertisements

Then it all comes down to, can he get work by keeping that a secret?

You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworthy View Post
Thank you all for your replies.
His crime was 20 years ago , when he was 16 and has not re-offended,he never had a problem finding work till about a year ago.
I am unsure how the U.S welfare system works,will he be cut off after certain amount of time?
His trade is usually in warehouse work, he has even applied for other jobs in other fields.
Has been up front about the record, and that is when he gets no call back.
Can't start his own business, due to lack of funds.
Also have an upcoming interview with immigration,which now they will question if he can support me..etc ...
Thanx all again for your advice
Wow, I am sorry. It's so unfair to have something follow you around your whole life for something done at 16. How about just leaving the country and going back to your country?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,823,933 times
16 y/o should be a juvenile conviction with a sealed record that doesn't show up in a background check. At least that's the case in most states.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
16 y/o should be a juvenile conviction with a sealed record that doesn't show up in a background check. At least that's the case in most states.
Exactly. Juveniles, tried as juveniles, have the privilege of sealed records. And then the case would be if they don't ask, don't tell.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Exactly. Juveniles, tried as juveniles, have the privilege of sealed records. And then the case would be if they don't ask, don't tell.
I just completed a job application that asked if I'd been convicted of a felony in the past seven years. Is that standard? I know a lot of job apps ask if one has ever been convicted of a felony, in which case if one lies and it's discovered it can lead to immediate termination.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
When I was in the trucking business one of the toughest parts of the job was loading and unloading your own truck after driving night & day to get to a destination. The usual practice was to hire a "lumper". Lumpers were guys who would unload or load a truck for a negotiated price. Tell your Hubby to look for places like grocery warehouses where a lot of Dry Vans and Refrigerated Trucks go into to load or unload. I have been off the road since 1989 so I am not current on what the going rate is to "fingerprint" a load. The price will vary depending on the size of the boxes and the commodity. After a bit of experience he will learn the how to negotiate proper deals with the drivers. If he does a good job and doesn't try to cheat the drivers he can stay busy. In Phoenix if you don't get the trucks in & out before the temperatures go over 95 it can be a killer job. Always have a quart or two of cold Gatorade on hand!

If he wants any pointers he can contact me through this board and I might be able to give him advice.

Good luck,
GL2

Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Here is a link that might be very helpful...

Criminal Records and Getting Back into the Workforce

Old 05-13-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I just completed a job application that asked if I'd been convicted of a felony in the past seven years. Is that standard? I know a lot of job apps ask if one has ever been convicted of a felony, in which case if one lies and it's discovered it can lead to immediate termination.
Well, I'm no expert, and I don't know where you live, but IMO if your record is sealed, then no one could ever find out if you had a record, and if you're an adult now with a clean record, then I'd say you don't tell if it was a juvenile offense and it's sealed.
The system treats juvey's different than adults.
You might want to check with a legal aid service for your answers.
It seems to me, and again this my opinion, if you haven't been an adult for the past seven years, then you should be able to say no felony record.
Someone with a law background on this site could possibly answer your questions best.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Well, I'm no expert, and I don't know where you live, but IMO if your record is sealed, then no one could ever find out if you had a record, and if you're an adult now with a clean record, then I'd say you don't tell if it was a juvenile offense and it's sealed.
The system treats juvey's different than adults.
You might want to check with a legal aid service for your answers.
It seems to me, and again this my opinion, if you haven't been an adult for the past seven years, then you should be able to say no felony record.
Someone with a law background on this site could possibly answer your questions best.
Hi. No, I was just asking out of curiosity and perhaps thought I could help throw a different angle on the OP's question. I was hoping things had changed and now there was a limited time frame on felonies (which there should be).

Depending on the crime...I mean if it's murder it's one thing. If it's crack cocaine it's another. Unfortunately, the legal system sort of lops things together. Just like Sheriff Joe throws DUI offenders in with hard core criminals.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Hi. No, I was just asking out of curiosity and perhaps thought I could help throw a different angle on the OP's question. I was hoping things had changed and now there was a limited time frame on felonies (which there should be).
My understanding a felony is listed for lifetime unless pardoned by the Governnor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area