Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 AM

23 posts, read 91,871 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone knows of any companies in Phx who will give an ex-con a job.
My hubby cannot get a job, his criminal record is preventing him from getting hired.
His offence dated back to 1988.
Also anyone know of any employment agency who will accept him?
An attorney told us in the state of Az, records do not get sealed for 99 years.
So we cannot get it sealed or expunged.
I have had to leave the country(I'm an aussie) as we were not able to survive on my income alone, and I did not earn enought to support us both.
Then everyone wonders 'why' the crime rate is so high?
no-one is willing to give these ppl a chance.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,010 times
If no jobs are offered then perhaps an ambitions person would start their own business. That would be a more logical step than returning to crime.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,064 times
IDK but has he tried small businesses? For some reason, I think those would be more likely to hire your hubby than a medium to large sized corporation.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Has he tried Call centers?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
I knew a guy who got a job and did so by making friends with the right people. In fact, I don't think he ever even got asked the felony question as he hooked up with the right people who knew all about his circumstances.

He met them in AA, land of second chances. I don't know if your hubby had/has a drinking problem but that is probably a good place to go make those friends if he did/does.

I really feel for you both (((hugs)))

Old 05-09-2008, 11:03 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I can't think of a more sure way to force somebody into a life of crime than to deny them legitimate employment.

I agree with the other comments. Start a small business. Sell stuff on eBay or get an Amazon estore. It's not really hard to start a business. I've done it a couple times and now considering doing it again, in handicrafts. Hubby should have a serious talk with himself and figure out what skills he has, then see if any can be directed into a small business.

Please don't tell us he's a good shot.

Really, I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:04 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,491 times
I had a felony when I was 19 years old. I never had a hard time getting hired. I even passed a security check for Northrup Grumman group. Maybe he needs to try another profession? I do not know what he is applying for. Sure with a felony you are not going to get hired in a bank, but manufacturing was no problem. Just be honest about it.

Ama

Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM

93 posts, read 339,137 times
Not to be glib, wentworthy, but the new employer sanctions for hiring illegal immigrants have scared a lot of agricultural, industrial, and cleaning/landscaping employers. Your husband might not make much money doing this work, but he could hopefully get some referrals toward more gainful employment.

My cousin is a felon, and has only been able to work for his brother since getting out last year. Good luck, and remember more than 1 in 100 Arizonans have done time, so he's likely to find a sympathetic employer if he doesn't give up.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:10 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I can't think of a more sure way to force somebody into a life of crime than to deny them legitimate employment.

I agree with the other comments. Start a small business. Sell stuff on eBay or get an Amazon estore. It's not really hard to start a business. I've done it a couple times and now considering doing it again, in handicrafts. Hubby should have a serious talk with himself and figure out what skills he has, then see if any can be directed into a small business.

Please don't tell us he's a good shot.

Really, I wish you the best of luck!
Especially here in Phoenix where it is much easier to start your own business! Good luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Many ex-convicts find jobs in the trades ie; landscaping, carpentry, etc. It all depends on the crime for many businesses. Most won't hire sex felons, paroled murderers. Burglars won't get a bank job.
The felon needs to be upfront and honest about his/her past with a future employer. Many employers are compassionate. Again it depends on the crime and type of business you're applying for.
I hired an ex-con once, he was recomended by a faithful reliable friend who vouched for him. He had served time in Florence for 10 years. He was a great worker for 1 year. Then one night, 3am, I got a call from the Police where our alarm went off and he had gotten caught stealing from our business. The Police said that there was a 66% recidivism rate. I would not take a chance and hire one again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area