Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 05:45 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,167,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
"stuck inside 6 months a year"?
how long have you lived here?
If you are stuck inside here 6 months a year, WTF are you still doing living here?
Next year, it will be 7 months a year. A couple more years later he will be complaining about being "stuck inside for 8 months a year".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 06:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
its gotta be horrible having such a negative view about where you live your life..I can't imagine staying in a place I disliked THAT much..

Old 10-27-2021, 08:03 PM

342 posts, read 320,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
They say history has a way of repeating itself, and weather/climate is no exception. 2020 was a lot like 1989 in terms of heat intensity & longevity. This year (coincidentally enough) had similarities to 1990: June was unusually hot, and although we didn't hit 120+ this year, we had record high temperatures that month like we did in 1990. Both this year & 1990 had the bulk of the heat in June, but the rest of the summer was actually below normal on temperatures due to a heavy monsoon.

For me, fall is always the best time of year in Phoenix as far as weather, especially from about now through about late November or early December. Temperatures are usually pleasant, but it can still get pretty warm. The nice thing about fall compared to spring is: the sun is at a lower angle, and 90+ degree temps actually feel better this time of year because the sun is less intense compared to the spring.
I loved October and November in Phoenix. My absolute favorite months. Although February and March were pretty, pretty nice, too. And then December and January weren't too shabby. And April was lovely. And early May and the latter half of September were usually pretty swell if you were lucky.

Old 10-27-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Y In Phoenix you are guaranteed to be stuck inside 6 months a year due to extreme heat, and the heat makes everyone grumpy and angry. Moving somewhere for the weather is just Trading one set of problems for another.
Good grief, where are you living and what kind of temps are you waiting for before you can venture out? I've never heard of anyone stuck inside for six months out of the year in Phoenix. Heck, I spent time outside in July and August during the seven years I lived in Phoenix. Just sat under a shade umbrella and sipped on ice water to keep myself well hydrated. Worked out just fine.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:43 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
I loved October and November in Phoenix. My absolute favorite months. Although February and March were pretty, pretty nice, too. And then December and January weren't too shabby. And April was lovely. And early May and the latter half of September were usually pretty swell if you were lucky.
There's four good months, four bad months and four so-so Good are Nov thru Feb. October and March are in the 80s and uncomfortable though 80s in March is more welcome than in October. Late March-April is windy and hot with frequent blowing dust, May is usually too hot to be out much in the day. June thru Sep - awful..

Old 10-28-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There's four good months, four bad months and four so-so Good are Nov thru Feb. October and March are in the 80s and uncomfortable though 80s in March is more welcome than in October. Late March-April is windy and hot with frequent blowing dust, May is usually too hot to be out much in the day. June thru Sep - awful..
I always liked it when it was in the 80's in Phoenix. It wasn't too hot for me at all. Everyone has different preferences.

When I first moved to Phoenix from the southeast, where temps dropped to the teens regularly in the winter, I remember laughing when I saw construction workers huddled around fires they'd built in those big, industrial trash cans on "cold" winter mornings of 58 degrees. Fast forward to 3-4 years later and I, too, was freezing cold on 58 degree mornings and wishing I could get out and warm up around those fires!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:47 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
after living in jersey all your life, you will NEVER want snow again, trust me on that one

and, there is no such thing as a 120 degree "day"; the temps get super hot for an hour or few, then it drops off pretty quickly, especially if you dont live in the core of town..after a few hours, the temps have dropped 10 degrees or more, so ignore the "120 degree days" nonsense, as its just that..
What an absolute crock.... I feel sorry for anyone who reads this and then moves here expecting heat for just an "hour or two." It stays in the triple digits past 10pm all summer. The outright lies on this board are hilarious.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
What an absolute crock.... I feel sorry for anyone who reads this and then moves here expecting heat for just an "hour or two." It stays in the triple digits past 10pm all summer. The outright lies on this board are hilarious.
You exaggerate. It's not hilarious, but misleading.

Here are the actual temperatures for Phoenix for the month of August 2021 with the daytime temps and the nighttime temps: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=psr

The lowest nighttime temp was 71 degrees on August 16, and the highest nighttime temp was 91 degrees on August 6. Other than that one night that only dropped to 91, every other night was in the 70s or 80s. The minimum temp is taken at midnight, so I very much doubt that it's still in the triple digits at 10 pm and suddenly drops to 71 degrees, or 80 degrees, at midnight.

Ten of the 31 days of August never even hit triple digits for the day's high.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
You exaggerate. It's not hilarious, but misleading.

Here are the actual temperatures for Phoenix for the month of August 2021 with the daytime temps and the nighttime temps: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=psr

The lowest nighttime temp was 71 degrees on August 16, and the highest nighttime temp was 91 degrees on August 6. Other than that one night that only dropped to 91, every other night was in the 70s or 80s. The minimum temp is taken at midnight, so I very much doubt that it's still in the triple digits at 10 pm and suddenly drops to 71 degrees, or 80 degrees, at midnight.

Ten of the 31 days of August never even hit triple digits for the day's high.
2021 was NOTHING like a typical August around here. It was one (a cool, wet one) for the ages.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
2021 was NOTHING like a typical August around here. It was one (a cool, wet one) for the ages.
Fair enough. I changed the dates on that website to the actual temps for August 2020, a year earlier, since I heard 2020 was one of the hottest summers on record. Definitely hotter than August 2019. Average nighttime temps at midnight ranged from 77 degrees to 93 degrees. Three nights in the 70s, 12 in the low 90s and 16 in the 80s. The daily highs ranged from 100 degrees to 117. So definitely all triple digit temps there.

Moving to a random year, to pick one that wasn't one of the hottest on record, August 2017. (And anyone can do this, I'm just picking a month and looking at the actual temps that month.) August 2017 had temps that hit 73 degrees as a low at midnight, and 89 degrees for a high at midnight. Fifteen nights were in the 80s at midnight and 16 nights were in the 70s at midnight. Daily high temperatures ranged from 96 degrees to 111 degrees, with most from 102 to 106 degrees.

Yes, Phoenix is hot. I know that. I lived there seven years. But it's not intolerable. Particularly at night. That's my point. Maroon should not mislead people on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area