Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 07:01 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
And now we're going around in circles, instead of promoting solutions to the problem of people being unable to get better paying jobs to afford the higher Phoenix rents/housing costs.
All right, you want solutions? Ask yourself why Texas is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, and even more high paying jobs have ended up there instead of here. It's time we make Arizona more business friendly, which includes lowering the corporate tax rate, eliminating the state income tax, and offering incentives for businesses to move here. That alone would allow more competitive jobs other than "McJobs" to be created, resulting in higher salaries. Ahhh, but that ol' "catch 22" would stand in the way of getting on board, huh?

Along with that, Phoenix as a city should be a place where people move for job opportunities & career advancement, instead of stupid things like the climate. We've had too many unskilled people here without much ambition. They thought they could live here cheap & get jobs which pay just enough to get by. Now, they're getting a major slap in the head with how the costs of everyday living have rapidly risen (especially rent). They didn't hustle or invest wisely, so it's really their own fault. No amount of government intervention is going to lower the housing costs. It's largely based on the market, and more people will need to get busy & earn more money if they expect to break even or get ahead. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 07:12 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
I'm amazed how so many people are able to find their careers/path in life. Because we have all learned that:

1. College and trade "job fairs" ONLY hire experienced candidates. So if you are attending one of these in May at ASU, you are wasting your time. https://asuevents.asu.edu/event-types/career-fair

2. When counselors at college programs or trade-school programs get phone calls looking for a candidate (which is how I got my 1st job at Honeywell), that must no longer happen. Or maybe, I lied in my interview!? That's what must of happened.

3. All of these entry-level jobs on Indeed website that say "no experience needed" isn't real. https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=No%20E...f193484c3dd658 None of them happen!

4. Some Debbie-downers on this thread will explain that "networking" is an illusive term. I mean, Linkedin doesn't work unless you have experience. It's impossible because of "Catch-22". So don't bother watching this video on how to market yourself without experience. You are doomed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYtlRgECrWE

Old 05-14-2022, 11:03 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
back in 2008 I lived at Ocotillo Springs 825 West Queen Creek Road in Chandler Arizona which now is called Luxe @ ocotillo The rent there now is $1,559 - $2,077/month. When I was there I paid 775.00 & had a garage that was included. It actually was a very nice place It was very quiet I never had a major problem the appliances were fairly new The apartment was clean I never saw a scorpion I never had issues with noise.
I moved away unfortunately but plan on one day coming back. rent is just ridiculous and buying a house cost of $300,000 or $400,000 absolutely ridiculous unless you want to live in a slum under a bridge in Apache Junction.
That's hyperbole.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:15 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
All right, you want solutions? Ask yourself why Texas is home to multiple Fortune 500 companies, and even more high paying jobs have ended up there instead of here. It's time we make Arizona more business friendly, which includes lowering the corporate tax rate, eliminating the state income tax, and offering incentives for businesses to move here.
Yup. But in Texas the property taxes are far more than ours. Any savings from the income tax is more than offset with those.

But overall, I agree, we need to be more business friendly.

Quote:
That alone would allow more competitive jobs other than "McJobs" to be created, resulting in higher salaries. Ahhh, but that ol' "catch 22" would stand in the way of getting on board, huh?
That still needs to be resolved. Opening tons of "entry level" jobs that require 5-7 years experience does not help people who are ambitious to switch careers to new places.

Quote:
Along with that, Phoenix as a city should be a place where people move for job opportunities & career advancement, instead of stupid things like the climate. We've had too many unskilled people here without much ambition.
Ambition won't help if the catch-22 stands in the way. Someone who is currently an unskilled person has no opportunity to get a job after getting skills, because of the out of touch belief that "skills only exist if someone else paid you to use them"

Old 05-14-2022, 10:00 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Quote:
Yup. But in Texas the property taxes are far more than ours. Any savings from the income tax is more than offset with those.

That still needs to be resolved. Opening tons of "entry level" jobs that require 5-7 years experience does not help people who are ambitious to switch careers to new places.

Ambition won't help if the catch-22 stands in the way. Someone who is currently an unskilled person has no opportunity to get a job after getting skills, because of the out of touch belief that "skills only exist if someone else paid you to use them"

Seriously, do you actually EVER pay attention to anything?

Old 05-16-2022, 01:17 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,270,479 times
Quote:

That dang catch-22. These college kids better have a lot of experience. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ses/ar-AAXilRP

Old 05-17-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
That dang catch-22. These college kids better have a lot of experience. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ses/ar-AAXilRP
You didn't see the details of that "career progression"

Walmart's Career progression.

Working as an associate making $15/hour, working less than 30 hours a week. They don't want to cross 29 hours because that's "full time" under the Obamacare law and would have to provide benefits.

"Promoted" to "assistant manager" making $65K salary working 80-90 hour weeks. No paid overtime! Oh and good luck taking any PTO. It takes pulling teeth to get anything approved.

99% of the tasks you do daily are the same as an associate's tasks.

(hint: Your effective hourly rate just went down the toilet to below minimum wage - this is not a real promotion, they're just trying to cut your hourly rate)

After 10 years of not taking time off, yay! You can get promoted to store manager. Then you get to work 100+ hours a week. And you finally get to do management stuff you were supposed to do as an "assistant manager"

Drop dead of a heart attack.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also Walmart: "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, we have a shortage of store managers"

Old 05-17-2022, 09:24 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Several chain stores have the same types of management programs. For instance, Menards (a Midwest building supply company that competes with Home Depot) has the same concept. A friend's son entered their management program. They rotate in all departments right out of college and get promoted along the way. His son is around 30 years old and makes about $150K. When all is said and done, he works around 60-70 hours a week. Those hours are very typical hours for ANY higher-powered positions. If he sticks around, next up is a regional management position.

There are literally HUNDREDS of schools where companies recruit talented college grads. And then, there are the not-so-good college programs. When our DD graduated from the UofMN, employers were swarming around the Flagship business school (Carlson School of Management: average ACT around 29). I remember Medtronics, J&J, Deloitte, Target Corp, Best Buy, and other flagship companies were looking for fresh talent to train. But that was waaaaaaaaaaay back in 2013. I'm sure "Catch-22" has decimated the workforce since 2013. Putting it another way, don't expect these companies to gravitate toward the fine institution called the University of Phoenix.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:28 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,270,479 times
Quote:
You didn't see the details of that "career progression"

Walmart's Career progression.

Working as an associate making $15/hour, working less than 30 hours a week. They don't want to cross 29 hours because that's "full time" under the Obamacare law and would have to provide benefits.

"Promoted" to "assistant manager" making $65K salary working 80-90 hour weeks. No paid overtime! Oh and good luck taking any PTO. It takes pulling teeth to get anything approved.

99% of the tasks you do daily are the same as an associate's tasks.

(hint: Your effective hourly rate just went down the toilet to below minimum wage - this is not a real promotion, they're just trying to cut your hourly rate)

After 10 years of not taking time off, yay! You can get promoted to store manager. Then you get to work 100+ hours a week. And you finally get to do management stuff you were supposed to do as an "assistant manager"

Drop dead of a heart attack.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Also Walmart: "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, we have a shortage of store managers"
Can you cite your work? Where are you getting this info?

Old 05-17-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Can you cite your work? Where are you getting this info?
I talked to people who work in these big box stores. That's how they do things.

I always confirm with people in the trenches.

edit: Perhaps they're making a change to their old ways in this program. Perhaps. I'm not expecting much.
Remember, a big ship takes a long time to course correct.

Last edited by bobsell; 05-17-2022 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area