Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 08:23 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Out of touch.

How can someone save up to get the down payment for the condo when the rent they're currently paying jumps 20% and they got a 5% raise at work?

This assumes one is able to get and keep a good paying job. We are already in the first three months of a recession and the layoffs are coming.

Guess they need to dip into their trust fund /s
But to the point of the thread, how is this any different than almost any place else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Phoenix is unaffordable only for people who aren't very financial savvy.

Renting is a huge dead end and a sfh is usually too expensive for the average buyer, so one of the ways around this mess is downsize a little and get a small condo. I found one in a nice area and my payments are cheaper than what I was throwing away on rent.
With all due respect, this sounds very out of touch. Based on some of the replies, it seems that people are only thinking of those within their same social class or stature. A person who is working their ass off at 2 jobs making $30k a year is most likely not going to be able to save up the money to buy a condo. It's not that they're not financially savvy, they just don't have the financial means to buy a place period.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:28 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Cut back on unnecessary expenses. Pack your lunch and cook at home instead of eating out. Is upgrading to the latest, greatest smart phone really necessary? Clip coupons for grocrey shopping. With the gas prices the way they are, walking, biking, or taking public transit would be less expensive options than driving your own vehicle. I completely agree that wages are not keeping up with the cost of living, but there are many things a person can do to be frugal and save money.
This is all great advice that everyone should follow, especially driving less or not at all. But in the grand scheme of things, the $84 a month that people save by not going to Starbucks or the $100 they save by not eating out isn't going to move the needle much when housing prices are going through the roof.

Quote:
Even if any of this holds true, most companies will pay severance to employees who are laid off. Generally speaking, the longer the tenure, the longer the severance. In that timeframe, a person can easily be searching for employment ... and many companies are still desperate for workers, so there's really no excuse to not be employed.
Standard severance pay is about 2 weeks for every year of employment. So that's not really useful to anyone who's been with their company for fewer than 10 years and it's become less and less likely that people remain with their companies for life. Companies are still desperate for workers but they still stupidly refuse to pay a proper wage for work. One should be looking for a job while they are unemployed but the process to get a new job to cover all of life's current expenses does take time.

Old 05-03-2022, 01:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
this is why a person needs another person who has a full-time job to help the other person by saving on expenses together so the two persons can save enough for a down payment on a two-person house in an area that is affordable

Old 05-03-2022, 02:31 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Many of these posts sound like people never thought about buying a house until lately. I feel for the people just starting out, but I have no sympathy for the 40-year-old that never started adulting.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:16 PM

13,688 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
This is all great advice that everyone should follow, especially driving less or not at all. But in the grand scheme of things, the $84 a month that people save by not going to Starbucks or the $100 they save by not eating out isn't going to move the needle much when housing prices are going through the roof.

Standard severance pay is about 2 weeks for every year of employment. So that's not really useful to anyone who's been with their company for fewer than 10 years and it's become less and less likely that people remain with their companies for life. Companies are still desperate for workers but they still stupidly refuse to pay a proper wage for work. One should be looking for a job while they are unemployed but the process to get a new job to cover all of life's current expenses does take time.

Cutting out the incidentals is a good start and getting rid of the car can also help. This means living near the light rail or bus route. Then there's rent. In order to save money you may need a smaller apartment which might not be in the best of condition. Nevertheless this is doable.

But here's the problem as I see it: crime. In order to save money you might need to live in a less than desirable location. Which means crime can be a concern. Personally, I've made a LOT of adjustments over the years to save money. However, I won't live where it's not safe.

So, if I were making 30k and my wife 20k we could stay in the Phx metro and pray for rent control. Or we could leave AZ and move to where the cost of living was more in line with our income.

I'd also be looking for ways to increase my income. Perhaps a side business that could bring in extra money.

Last edited by john3232; 05-03-2022 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 04:47 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

So, if I were making 30k and my wife 20k I could stay here and pray for rent control or my wife and I could move to another area of the county which was more in line with our income.
I've always studied the problem in order to figure out a solution. And the answer is to spend less and make more. Duh! And the formula isn't exactly hard.

In my lifetime, I certainly cut a massive amount of expenses. When my 2nd home went way over budget (I contracted it out to save $), I sold two newer cars that I LOVED. Then, I bought two POS cars. One was $400. It was totaled by insurance and bought it from a friend and replaced a couple of door panels and yanked out the front bumper. It had no air, and a manual 4 speed. And the other $2500 POS grandpa Cutless Ciera with velour seats. Both were 4 cylinders and got good mileage. So I went from $25K in cars to $2900. I cut coupons, never ate out, and saved every single nickel.

Next, I worked a 2nd job as a technician (contract work) for a start-up. I about lost it (tons of stress at age 26) but that's what I did to get what I wanted. And yes, I moved farther out too. When we build our 2nd home, we lived with my MIL for 8 months. No fun. But we banked like mad!

Next, I finished retooling my career to make more $$'s. IMO in 2022, it has NEVER been a better time to move up ranks in jobs or switch careers. Oh, I know Mr. Bob the "Catch-22" would tell you how rough it is out there. But we enjoying an all-time record low unemployment. And the employers really don't want that last 3%. If people don't act now, they will hopelessly waste this great opportunity.

That said, as sure as I am sitting here PHX metro is going to have a rent correction. In fact, SFH's are coming down in rent here around PHX as we speak. Read the Cromford report as it covers it. And HOUSING costs are going to probably peak this summer. I won't be surprised if existing home prices decrease by this Fall. The investors showed up last June to gobble up the inventory when things started to soften. Again, read the Cromford report. IMO, investors aren't going to do that this round. And MLS listings are building as we speak. Up 20% in the past 2 weeks. Not because of more listings, but because days on market are increasing. The word on the street hasn't hit yet because many people aren't reading what Mike Orn is saying. He studies this market like no other. But once people see it, the sense of urgency will be killed and yes, values MAY tumble. Will that happen? It's too early to tell. But the market IS changing as we speak. Give it another month and the picture will get clear as we move forward. But the house resale values are going to continue to go up until we reach July. Then, that's when the popcorn will be popped. It could get interesting.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-03-2022 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 07:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I've always studied the problem in order to figure out a solution. And the answer is to spend less and make more. Duh! And the formula isn't exactly hard.

That said, as sure as I am sitting here PHX metro is going to have a rent correction. In fact, SFH's are coming down in rent here around PHX as we speak. Read the Cromford report as it covers it. And HOUSING costs are going to probably peak this summer. I won't be surprised if existing home prices decrease by this Fall. The investors showed up last June to gobble up the inventory when things started to soften. Again, read the Cromford report. IMO, investors aren't going to do that this round. And MLS listings are building as we speak. Up 20% in the past 2 weeks. Not because of more listings, but because days on market are increasing. The word on the street hasn't hit yet because many people aren't reading what Mike Orn is saying. He studies this market like no other. But once people see it, the sense of urgency will be killed and yes, values MAY tumble. Will that happen? It's too early to tell. But the market IS changing as we speak. Give it another month and the picture will get clear as we move forward. But the house resale values are going to continue to go up until we reach July. Then, that's when the popcorn will be popped. It could get interesting.
Great information. In this coming cycle bust the buy-for-rent companies and speculators will be screwed. The excess is not so much in mortgage underwriting standards as in the 2006-10 downturn, but in buy-for-let outfits. Starting from the biggest fish Blackrock down to your individual speculator. Boy are we seeing them ramp up like there's no tomorrow. Someone big will eventually fail, maybe Blackrock. In hindsight everyone will laud Zillow for getting out while the going is good (even though they took a lot of abuse for their relatively minuscule losses). I am salivating about the coming opportunities, but most likely not getting active before 2027.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:

In my lifetime, I certainly cut a massive amount of expenses. When my 2nd home went way over budget (I contracted it out to save $), I sold two newer cars that I LOVED. Then, I bought two POS cars. One was $400. It was totaled by insurance and bought it from a friend and replaced a couple of door panels and yanked out the front bumper. It had no air, and a manual 4 speed. And the other $2500 POS grandpa Cutless Ciera with velour seats. Both were 4 cylinders and got good mileage. So I went from $25K in cars to $2900. I cut coupons, never ate out, and saved every single nickel.

Next, I worked a 2nd job as a technician (contract work) for a start-up. I about lost it (tons of stress at age 26) but that's what I did to get what I wanted. And yes, I moved farther out too. When we build our 2nd home, we lived with my MIL for 8 months. No fun. But we banked like mad!

Next, I finished retooling my career to make more $$'s. IMO in 2022, it has NEVER been a better time to move up ranks in jobs or switch careers. Oh, I know Mr. Bob the "Catch-22" would tell you how rough it is out there. But we enjoying an all-time record low unemployment. And the employers really don't want that last 3%. If people don't act now, they will hopelessly waste this great opportunity.

When it comes to AZ RE the Cromford report is considered the go-to guide. Nobody studies the AZ market like Mike Orr.

John Wake is another excellent source of information.
https://arizonarealestatenotebook.co...metro-phoenix/

As mentioned above it takes a few months before the general public catches on. If anyone is thinking of selling I recommend doing it NOW.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Spot on give or take 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area